I watched an old documentary on Princess Diana last night and it was very good. Also one on King George VI with the stutter. Both extremely enlightening documentaries and I learned a lot. I was never a fan of Diana but since watching the documentary I can see a little bit more of her side of things that I had not known before. Looking back at the engagement films that were shown on tv at the time of the announcement it is clear that Charles rarely, if ever, smiled and was really not interested in being engaged to Diana. He even at one point answered a Press question on love very sarcastically and almost sneeringly saying "whatever that is" without so much as a smile. He really appeared to mean it. This was as he sat there with his new 19 year old fiancee on News bulletins going out to the world. The match was a mistake from the start and it is a wedding that should never have happened. Diana said that she did not want to go ahead with the wedding but in the end it was too late to stop it and she didn't know what to do so she went ahead. She was young, had had a very troubled childhood with no great example set to her by her parents on how to behave. For instance, when Diana was a young child her parents divorced and her mother lost custody of all 4 of the children. Diana was sent off to boarding school. She also did not know how to behave as a member of the royal family which unfortunately led to her unpopularity with the Queen and others. It was such an awful time for Diana as I now see it. She was no saint but she had no proper guidance and no stability of a family in her own right apart from the Royals who knew what to do and never really helped Diana and, of course, a new husband who didn't really want her at all.
George VI ended up a much loved King during wartime and I learned a lot about him too. Both documentaries are on Netflix.
Hello again
ReplyDeleteHello.
DeleteI hope we can befriends again x
DeleteSmall steps x
DeleteUnderstood x
ReplyDeleteI never imagined that the first person here would be you. I am happy with it x
DeleteSerendipity ….i was researching an old post of mine from years ago and your new persona surfaced
DeleteI knew I was traceable that way. I just wondered who would be first.
DeleteI’m kinda proud it was me rather than Ursula lol
DeleteAre u well? I’ve been up and down physically and mentally but am ok now
DeleteI did not think of either of you to be honest.
Deletelol that’s telling me
DeleteNormal for Norfolk!
DeleteI have been an Anglophile my whole life and all of this was known to me and rings true. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I’m glad to resume contact with you.
ReplyDeleteI think I had forgotten just how unhappy the engagement press releases were or, at my somewhat young age at the time, the fact just did not sink in. Thank you for leaving a comment this morning.
Delete