I am going to the hygienist this afternoon which is an appointment that I should have had in October but was cancelled by me because I didn't feel well an hour before I was due to leave the house and it turned out to be the first day of the illness that was to last at least 5 weeks. In fact whilst I was talking to the dental receptionist on the phone the illness came full on and I had to hastily curtail the call. The dentists were very obliging about it and later gave me a new appointment and no charge for the missed one even though I was unable to give the required 24 hour cancellation notice. The illness just came on unannounced and out of the blue.
Although not required to do so I have changed a number of things since the start of the illness and am now eating more healthily. Readers will know that the doctors could not identify any reason or name for the illness although I had plenty of ideas of my own from Google. No dietary guidance was given by the doctors.
I had already started daily exercise before I was ill and that has continued and I am adding a variety of exercises to address areas of weaknesses that I have like legs and how to get up off the floor if I fall etc. Everything is done in the home and no need for a gym or equipment, the house is able to provide anything I need. The main point of the exercises is to keep me moving and I started them back in September because of booking the holiday for next year. Booking a holiday so far ahead is something I have never done before. During the illness I came close to cancelling on two occasions with my hand hovering over the phone.
I want to be sure I can still walk by the time the holiday comes. That is the theory at least. I am aware that the exercises help with blood pressure and metabolism in general so it should be a win win situation. When I was in Albania I was extremely unfit which later turned out to be the Vitamin D deficiency which was causing me to have the vitamin D rolling walk and no energy. The deficiency also caused head sweats that I have never experienced before and hope never to experience again. The whole of my head and hair would be wet on waking up in the morning and the pillow soaked.
During the past month I have had a couple of calls with the travel insurance company and tried to keep everything in the open with them. I was treated like something of a criminal on one occasion when I had a call back from the company following up a recording they had listened to of me explaining to an Indian call centre that I had been to the doctors and had not been diagnosed with anything and that I had also declined to take statins (unrelated to the illness but the doctors were trying again to get me to take them. They never miss an opportunity). The girl who rang me was very abrasive about this call and cross-examined me about the statins. All I was doing was trying to be open and honest. There have been two cases locally where travellers have been ill abroad and found that the insurance they had would not cover them because they had omitted to tell of some doctors visits so I thought I would be honest. Oh well.
Are you going on another Eastern European trip Rachel? I fancy Galicia next year.
ReplyDeleteI decided to go on a kind of Silk Road trip and am doing a tour of Azerbaijan and the Caspian Sea. Galicia looks like there could be plenty of walking.
DeleteSounds good. So much came to us via the Silk Road. Coffee for one thing. Yes some walking but more sight seeing in Galicia and Santiago De Compostela.
ReplyDeleteIt will be lovely if you can visit Santiago De Compostela Dave.
DeleteYour tour sounds wonderfully exotic. I hope you will post plenty of updates on your blog when you are away. Health permitting of course!
ReplyDeleteI usually continue blogging whilst travelling, wifi etc. permitting.
DeleteI have just finished my morning exercises! xx