As I was saying to Dave a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to go to the sea before the end of the year. It is my only visit this year.
Yesterday I went to Sheringham. I just got up and decided I might as well go out. I stuffed some lunch in a sandwich bag, chipolatas and bread, and a bottle of my tap water, into my backpack and went off for the train after breakfast.
The connection at Norwich was six minutes or one hour. I told the guard I wasn't too bothered if I missed the connection because I was not in a hurry. As it was I made the connection easily, out of one train and straight into the Sheringham train on the opposite platform.
When I got on the train a friend whats app'd me and I replied to her query adding that I was on a train. She then proceeded to ring me on a voice call. Most odd. Would you do that? I wouldn't unless it was something urgent. So I joined everybody else on the train it seemed and talked to her on the phone. I let her do most of the talking as she wanted to off-load some stuff on me about her family. I made appropriate noises mostly. She had already been through it all with me before anyway and families are families, you sometimes have to ignore the bad bits and not let it get to you.
It is quite a scenic ride of one hour up to the coast from Norwich, via Wroxham and North Walsham and Cromer, and the farming is a bit different and the land is lighter so I enjoy looking out of the train and taking it all in. (We have heavy and light land in Norfolk and I live in the heavy land of South Norfolk).
I arrived in Sheringham at 11.45 and went straight for a coffee in a café just outside the station. The coffee was very good although the proprietor was not friendly which was a bit sad.
I then walked down the high street towards the sea and first stop was an ironmongers, a good traditional sell-everything ironmongers, and bought some panel pins, small nails, which I have wanted for ages but as the ironmongers around here have all closed I was wondering how I would get them. Problem solved.
I then walked onwards to the sea. The sea was calm
with hardly a ripple.




Even though it may be grey and damp, there is something about being beside the sea that calms the soul, I find. I always try to walk into town along the seafront and just gaze out to the horizon - unless it's blowing a gale!
ReplyDeleteThere is something very spiritual about standing listening to the sea and gazing out to the horizon isn't there!
DeleteSounds like a good way to spend a few hours. I wonder what the apartment is like? Did you used to go to Sheringham to meet your friends Rachel? I am glad you got to go and see the sea. Enjoy your W.I Christmas lunch. x
ReplyDeletePosition wise the apartment was fine, he told me where it was and I could see it across from the station, second floor and he is currently living in it! One of my mates from Norwich has a holiday flat in Sheringham which is where we meet from time to time. I probably have been this year but it was always more for a meet up at her flat rather than an outing to see the sea. The W.I. meal was great and lots of fun.
DeleteHello Rachel. Just wanted to say thank you for leaving a comment on my most recent post, mostly because I thought you had quit blogging ( and I’ve been absent more or less for a while as well). So now I know where to find you again! I wish we had the type of extensive rail system that you have. We have something called the Go Train but it only connects major cities in one corridor of Southern Ontario. Here in the more rural areas, the rail lines have been ripped out since the 1970’s. Regardless, I’m happy to be able to read your blog again. - Jenn
ReplyDeleteThank you for coming over to see me Jenn. I missed blogging and after the tensions of a few months had passed I decided to come back. We have a fairly comprehensive rail network aound where I live and I like to make use of it. I could drive but driving is not much fun when you take all things into consideration and the train makes a more fun outing for me. x
DeleteThank you for taking us along on your day out to the sea! Like JayCee in her comment and you in the reply to her, I find (almost) no matter the weather or time of year, it is good to be by such a large body of water; good for the soul.
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to learn a bit more about a part of the country I have never visited for myself, and good to hear there was no trouble with the trains. I hope for the same for my trips to and from O.K.'s around Christmas and New Year!
England is a small country but has areas of vastly different terrains such as the fact that Eastern England is nothing at all like Yorkshire and Durham and Cornwall is different again. Our trains under Greater Anglia have always been one of the most reliable services in the country, the main interruption over the past few years has been industrial action resulting in strikes. Greater Anglia has now been re-nationalised and has been run by the State for two months so far. It remains to be seen how the transition progresses. It is now known as Great British Railways.
Delete