Saturday, 10 January 2026

Everything is in your hands

Rather than shop today which I really need to do I am going to see Sentimental Values at the cinema.  It is a Norwegian film.  I have several things to do next week and unless I go to the cinema today I will not get to see this film which I really want to see.   Simple.  The cats have food and so do I, the stocking up of essentials can wait until tomorrow.  Sometimes Sunday shopping is very convenient although I wish I did not have Sunday shopping in Britain and I would like it to be the day of rest.   But that is long gone.  

Yesterday I went to see the Mollywood musical Sarvam Maya which was a good fun, feel good, Indian film.  I loved it and had the screening to myself.  I could jive around to my heart's content and sing along.   I loved it.  I took advantage of a lone daytime screening of this and all the other films I want to see could wait.  Then last night I noticed Sentimental Values so that must be fitted in today.   A warm day in the cinema and a gentle read of the papers and a coffee.   

Although I regularly wake up not knowing what day it is I had the experience yesterday of not knowing what day it was in the evening.  I had to actually check my phone to tell me.   

On arrival home from the Indian film I did my exercise routine outside in the cold weather.   I do not feel that I have achieved my daily exercise goal if I do the routine inside the house. 

Since starting the routines in September my fitness has improved and my understanding of fitness and what is best for ageing legs has also improved.  I now understand that walking is not enough to keep ones legs strong and healthy and I follow the Japanese example that one must do more than just walk.  I am working on the floor during the evening and the getting down and then up is coming along and the sitting on heels is slowly getting there.  You may recall that I said it can take easily six months to reach the heel.  As I have said before, there are many You Tube videos on leg exercises, Japanese culture in old age, and all things that western doctors do not tell you.  When I read of an old man's legs that are weak and giving him trouble I send vibrations to him to seek out the Japanese way and that walking is not lost and it is never too late.  

Last night after watching a couple of episodes of another James Nesbit drama, Stay Close, I found Heal on Prime which I remember I have seen before which is about the connection between emotion, stress, and the impact on health.   There is a great need for the re-education of doctors and less reliance on pharmaceuticals.  Since I watched the programme before, some years back, I have now experienced the force of doctors on trying to get me on to medication above all else, and no word about emotions, exercise or self-belief, apart from the elderly Indian doctor who clearly understood these things.   We are being failed by our health service in what they serve us. 


8 comments:

  1. There is so much more to good health than taking a pill.
    Stress, emotions count so much. Greek doctors do have more time, here anyway and are likely to look a little further. They are also more likely to know your lifestyle. You also have to be open to hear them.
    I am starting on my leg exercises. I have done strengthening before but not kept it up. Now I can see a difference after exercise. It helps with balance, and my back. I am getting rid too of a few kilos added over the holidays. I would like to be able to rise easily from the floor and I can see through you it is possible.
    I shall of course be googling the Japanese way. I also recently came across another article which says you should walk, outside, as you live. Stop to bend down, look at a shoelace or a bug, reach out, twist and stretch your arms. Logical and straight walking gets so boring.
    Your post yesterday was black, but reality obviously.
    You can only observe. And look after yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst looking at videos on sitting on the heels I came upon one on seiza which is what the Japanese call it. This led me to the elderly in Japan and how they are fitter than their counterparts in the west because they keep their legs strong. I then came across several other videos saying that being told to walk by British doctors is fine but we also need something else to strengthen our legs which is rarely mentioned unless you actually have a knee operation which could probably have been avoided in the first place with exercise.
      The Indian doctor I saw in October is the only doctor who took the time to talk to me and to get me to talk to him by saying to me that he thought I was hiding something. I responded and we went from there and basically talking was what I needed.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy going out to see the film today Rachel. I have loads to catch up on Netflix. I am going to look more into the Japanese way of fitness in older life. They also talk about walking where you do a few minutes fast pace and then a few minutes slower pace for about half an hour as far as I remember. Imagine if GP's asked people what their support network was like or if they had any hobbies or activities or what they would like to happen to improve their lives. They could offer suggestions on steps towards a specific goal on what they want out of life. I know I am rambling now. Sometimes a thought (not always very well thought out) pops into my head as I am writing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simone. The Japanese way does not take much time and things like balance can be done in the kitchen whilst waiting for the kettle to boil. I know you are already doing balance exercise because you mentioned it the other day. Slower walking and steps is also useful in waking up sensors in the body. I think the English way of medical training has sadly not been tuned into the importance of emotions on our inner physical functions. xx

      Delete
  3. I go to an exercise class once a week, swim nd walk the dog. I should probably think of more targeted exercises too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, but you sound like you are getting some good exercise there with a class thrown in. If you only choose one extra exercise squats always seemed to come up as essential for legs.

      Delete
  4. Stay Close is one of several Harlan Coben series I've watched a couple of years ago, very suspenseful and well done with great acting, as I remember it.

    You reporting about the progress you experience with your exercises is very motivating for anyone; as you say, "everything is in your hands" - maybe not quite everything, but definitely most of what makes up our individual state of health and fitness.
    I may have mentioned this before, but to this day I hold a grudge against my Dad (whom I loved dearly and still miss a lot) for becoming so passive and allowing himself to slide onto a downward spiral in spite of everybody trying their best to motivating him. My Mum says he couldn't help himself, but I am not so sure - dementia only really set in during his last two years, while he firmly installed himself on the settee years before that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Harlan Coben dramas make excellent television with so many unforeseen plots and corners. I cannot read his books though because on reading one of his thrillers I found it too disturbing to have the book in the house! However, I am fine with an episode or two per night on tv, but no more than that.

      Motivation for exercise has to come from within and I am afraid it is a case of "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". I have tried many times with my brother who is currently in hospital, as has his wife, but we have not been able to persuade him to get out of his chair. He is partly my motivation as I have witnessed him losing the muscle power in his legs. My main motivation is my holiday coming up later this year and with the education of You Tube videos I have learned so much about the way our blood circulation works. Seeing results now after four months is also very encouraging for me.

      Delete