Wednesday, 14 January 2026

Sentimental Value and Hamnet

 I went to see the Scandinavian film Sentimental Value on Monday and absolutely loved it, blown away as they say.  I was always an Ingmar Bergman fan and this was very reminiscent of his work, typical Scandinavian film, slow pace, family problems, silences, the human condition all thrown in with Norwegian scenery, houses, interiors, beautiful clothes and women and one troubled man.   I would love to see it again and may go if it is on at a suitable time, if not will wait for it streaming.

Yesterday I went to see Hamnet.  Whilst I can see that Jessie Buckley deserves all the accolades she is receiving, thoroughly deserved, she did her very best with what I thought a rather thin story, the film did little for me and I was soon bored and looking at my watch.  Scenes with childbirth and screaming I rarely find to my liking anyway.  There was plenty of Buckley screaming.   After an hour I saw a man walk out and not return and if it had not been for my curiosity that this story had to get better (it didn't)  I would have gone too.   I found the script and story weak and rather disjointed with scenes that felt amateurish like a school play.   If it hadn't been for all the hype surrounding the film I would not have gone but curiosity got the better of me.  I am a fan of Paul Mescal and had liked him in Normal People.  I think he deserves high praise too although his part is secondary to Buckley.  I really did not feel that I was watching William Shakespeare until very near the last scenes, maybe, with the performance of Hamlet of which we saw some moving moments, not sure how else to describe it.  

I am meeting friends for lunch today and looking forward to a catch up with a couple of school friends I haven't seen for several months. 


6 comments:

  1. I read Hamnet a while ago and didn't think it was all that great. I've been somewhat bewildered at the hype surrounding the movie and have made no plans to see it. Maybe once I can stream it for free! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer for some agreement with me here. I really cannot see what the hype is all about either! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm not planning on watching Hamnet, either, but Sentimental Value sounds like something I'd enjoy. Sooner or later I am sure it will be available for streaming.

    Enjoy the lunch and catching up with your friends!
    I am planning for today after work on meeting up with a friend I've last seen in early December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw yesterday that Stellan Skarsgard who played the father in Sentimental Value received a Golden Globe award in the same ceremony which honoured Jessie Buckley. I was very pleased to see that. I look forward to seeing the film again one day but definitely will not be re-watching Hamnet.

      My lunch with friends was very good. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Hope your lunch yesterday was enjoyable in all ways

    ReplyDelete