Yesterday morning I dusted and hoovered the remaining rooms that had not been touched and did a blitz on the kitchen. As I live alone I tend not to put things away like I should do so the worktop accumulates bottles and packets of things that should be away out of sight. So that was all done and what a joy it feels to me now.
I then removed the cats' bowls and plates into the utility room pretending that they are fed in there which seemed more reasonable I thought. The cats didn't like what was going on and started meowing for their food where it should be staring at the bare floor tiles. I then upset them even more by bleaching the floor twice. So there was upset on the cat front all day.
I cleared everything off the table in the breakfast room and that was also a joy to see the surface. I had to scrub it clean because the cats had been laying on it between objects and when I moved it all around I found plenty of evidence of cat hairs and dust. So that all went. (I haven't eaten at the breakfast room table for months).
I then moved the furniture to the sides in the living room so that the full length of the room and the centre beam and fireplace with woodburner were on full glory display.
The house actually felt livable again. As you might guess I do very little housework under normal circumstances.
Upstairs was all finished and dusted and hoovered a few days before and I made one last check over before he came and there was still a cobweb which he walked straight into in the first room. I apologised for this but clearly it didn't really matter and I am sure there were many more cobwebs he saw if he looked up. I go around my house without my glasses on so rarely see what other people see in distant corners. (I am short-sighted).
So the valuer came. We sat at the clean breakfast room table and he made some preliminary notes on my intentions which I explained were a bit blurred at the moment. He said this was normal so I relaxed a bit. He was actually a very nice man and we chatted for quite a while. He made some notes and then we went round the house and he measured all the rooms quickly with a laser measure which made it all very quick. He then went outside to do the outdoors bit and I stood at the door at it was raining. We then sat down again at the breakfast room table and continued chatting. We discussed the area and the quietness. We discussed some figures and he asked what I had in mind and I was very realistic and not silly about what I would expect. He praised me for this objective approach and my on-going maintenance in all respects. He liked the house and said he would happily live there which was encouraging.
He will prepare the valuation report over the weekend because he said I could have it on Monday which I thought was quick.
I will take it one step at a time and hope for a signal from above about what the right thing is for me and when. I am sure as with all things that moment will come.
Regardless if you sell it or not, you have a lovely clean and tidy home now Rachel! I hope you have put the cat bowls back! The sun has just made an appearance. I hope you enjoy the day. x
ReplyDeleteThe cat bowls were put back as soon as he left in otder to restore law and order! Yes, the house is now lovely and clean. I was just sitting here thinking "how long will it last!" The sun is shining here and I am meeting my friend for coffee in Waitrose who I meet when she can. Her husband died in the hospice earlier in the week and she said she wanted to see me for "some normal conversation".
DeleteThat is sad news about your friend's husband. I am glad you are meeting her. x
DeleteHe has been hanging on and hanging on for some months moving between hospital and nursing home and hospice and I think it really is a relief although of course very sad. He was so ill.
DeleteIt sounds as though you have been very busy getting ready for the valuer ! The cats will be glad to get back to normal no doubt. Such a sad time with news of so many friends dying though it seems to become the norm the older we get. This awfully wet January seems to make everything feel worse - roll on the spring ! Take care Rachel.
ReplyDeleteYes it was quite a job getting the house in order for a visitor even if it was only the estate agent! However, it was long overdue so now I have a clean and tidy house. Eastern England hasn't been so wet as some parts of the country and today the sun is shining brightly. When I went to see my oldest brother this week he said "I suppose we are getting older"! when we were talking about friends dying. He is 82!
DeleteIf you do decide to put your house on the market you'll probably get tired of continuously having to keep it clean and tidy for viewings! I know I did when we were selling our old house. Hiding away all our everyday detritus before strangers came to poke around was a pain. But worth it in the end when you find someone who loves the house and wants to buy it.
ReplyDeleteI hope it all works out just as you hope for.
I think now that I have got things straight I should be able to keep on top of it. Part of the problem, apart from the kitchen, is that I have been de-cluttering for some time and de-cluttering means going through things which in its own way leaves detritus which has to be re-ordered. During the cleaning spell in preparation for the valuer I have been able to get this detritus into order I hope and sometimes things take more than one step mentally to be disposed of. I am sure you follow this. The kitchen looking so good will hopefully get me into the habit of putting the porridge box away in the morning. Thanks JayCee xxx
DeleteOur silly cat cannot find her food bowl if I move it a yard away. But she's our Stupid cat.
ReplyDeleteIt's such a great feeling when the house is clean and benches clear. But it never lasts long. Your valuer sounds very positive. I hope you sell it quickly but also find your ideal new home
It would help if I knew where I wanted to move to!
DeleteA bit daunting to be thinking of putting your house on the market but exciting too - a new adventure ahead! I’m a bit OCD about the house and always Hoover and put the dishes away etc each day- that’s not to say that it is always tidy though! Go well with your plans…..
ReplyDeleteI am not quite seeing it as an adventure yet but I am sure that moment will come like a bolt from the blue one day. I am liking the house being tidy and neat so I will keep it that way now. Thanks Tink.
DeleteI‘m a bit on the OCD side, and although like you I live on my own (apart from those weekends when O.K. is here), I simply don‘t like things blocking my surfaces in the kitchen or elsewhere, and my muesli box goes back in the cupboard as soon as I have poured out my portion.
ReplyDeleteThe valuer sounds like a good man, and you have obviously done a good job getting the house ready for him. The other day you mentioned the idea of moving into Norwich; that sounds entirely sensible to me although your cats would maybe not appreciate a town environment.
I think I will keep on top of the housework I will keep it that way. The kitchen work surfaces are so much better being free from clutter.
DeleteAs I have said to others I am not totally sure of where I want to move to although Norwich does sound like a very good option. My searches are concentrated on those towns where properties are available where I can walk to the railway station because I want to give up using a car and of course, as you say, the cats would not appreciate a town environment.
Hi Rachel, I had to go back to see where the Valuer Chat started & do like the idea of you maybe trying apartment living in Norwich. New developments around these parts are often full of dodgy building corner-cuttings, & I can't imagine Norfolk has been spared such shonky work, but you'll have a nose for rooting out such things, I imagine.
ReplyDeleteAs Librarian says, whether your cats will take to such an idea, though ... best not to workshop it with them :)
Yes, lots of dodgy, thin-walled apartments here too Pip.
DeleteCats are sleeping most of the day now but they still like to have a prowl around the garden every so often. I am sure the answer will present itself one day.
Getting your stuff in order x
ReplyDeleteI try to keep on top of things.
Delete