Is it easier to be in opposition in government or in power? Starmer was very vociferously against China in 2020 as was Lisa Tandy, shadow something or other at the time, and the braying Labour Party in opposition to making deals with China when the Tories wanted 5G Huawei. We sensibly dropped the idea Tandy said at the time we should not be cosying up to China. I don't know what happened to her but I wonder if she is squirming around or whether she is just the usual hypocrite of Labour and is honing her hypocrisy. (Oh, I see she is still an MP so still a hypocrite). What of the opposition to the Uyghur killings and slaughter of ethnic groups in China, cruelty and murder and torture? What of the cadres? What of UK manufacturing suffering at the hands of Chinese imported goods? What of Sri Lanka, in debt to China owing billions of dollars because China stepped in to "help" and Sri Lanka now beholden to them? What of Egypt, China building the new Cairo? Is Starmer totally bonkers? Yes. What of the two British Chinese spies recently let go because Starmer didn't want to upset China? Is Starmer bonkers? Yes. What of road building by China with AI and robots and no men? Have we plans for AI and what happens when China says we don't need humans, pay us and our robots do it and then you are in debt to us like Sri Lanka? Britain will never be able to dig itself out of this and then it will be Blair's Britain and Starmer's Britain and not ours and we will be working for China to pay off our debt to them. How long? 10 years?
Starmer calls it "securing economic growth".
And the bus driver got sacked for punching a mugger who robbed his passenger.
During a very recent health issue, I realised that this doesn't seem to be a world that I care to stick around in for much longer.
ReplyDeleteIt makes you think doesn't it? My recent mysterious health issues in October also made me aware that not only am I getting old but that I don't really care very much now for the future. I do my best to keep going without being a burden on others by keeping my legs moving and downsizing and enjoying what I can do. x
DeleteMuch of what is happening today makes me glad once more that I decided long ago not to have children.
ReplyDeleteI think my attitude would have been, had I had children, that they will just have to get on with it. I would not fret for them because each generation thinks they know best and they would probably be cheering for net zero and have their heads in the sand about everything and refuse to listen to me.
DeleteWe also have a leader, Mark Carney, who wishes to make more and more deals with China. There's a big portion of the population who doesn't care (and are just happy with anything that is anti-Trump) and another segment for whom this is very scary indeed. -Jenn
ReplyDeleteMark Carney was our Governor of the Bank of England and at first thought to be the best thing for Britain but this did not last and he fell out of favour when he became political to the point of interfering with government. The role is independent and non-political. He took it a step too far and was accused of scare-mongering and interference at the time of Brexit and also became an unofficial speaker on climate change at the same time. He was not popular by the time he left. Smooth talking, articulate individuals have a knack of pulling the wool over people's eyes. I was reminded of this again on the appointment of the New York mayor recently when people universally said how lovely he sounds. Lovely my foot.
DeleteI think a lot of people will worry themselves to death. The world is so topsy turvy now. In the UK we have been told to make ourselves smaller, constantly apologise for the failings of our ancestors, put every one above us and suck it up. This has gone on for decades. I think I am beyond caring and every now and then the ember of injustice inside me is re-ignited and I refuse to be subjugated! Hope Sunday is going well for you Rachel. x
ReplyDeleteThe C of E is undertaking to send millions of pounds to Africa as raparation for slavery and suffering. I see that Welby dreamt this up and his replacement says she is going to honour it. Consequently the plate collection is diminishing because the long held belief is that each parish gives the money they put in the collection plate for local good works. The figure is hoped to top £1 billion. So on top of aid for Africa from us, which rarely gets spent correctly anyway, it is going to be topped up by the parishioners of the Church of England. Meanwhile we have not asked the North African countries for reparation for the untold suffering caused to Britain by the Barbary Pirates or for the suffering of those murdered, robbed, and scammed by illegal immigrants.
DeleteRoll on 2029 when we can get rid of Labour although of course so much damage will have been done by then it is difficult to see how recovery will be achieved.
It is all like a nightmare isn't it? I fear that by 2029 the labour party would have imported enough supporters that they will actually win again. God help us!
DeleteAfter what happened in 2024 I see the most stupid thing possible could easily happen again with the fickle electorate Simone.
DeleteGardening is a great antidote…
ReplyDeleteGood advice!
Delete