Monday, 16 February 2026

Monday

 The snow has all gone now and it is a brighter day.  I went to the Women's Institute cookery sub-group this morning to see a cookery demonstration on preparation of mushrooms.   I was invited by a friend who said it was an enjoyable, relaxed group of people and no special cookery skills were required and most of the meetings consist of food preparation demonstrations and tastings.  It was fun and a different way to spend a Monday morning. I don't eat mushrooms but was happy to see the preparations of a mushroom loaf, a stuffed garlic mushroom and mushroom pasta.  I didn't partake in the tasting but I don't think anybody noticed as we all mooched around and chatted.    I have signed up to the group for the year.  Next meeting is chocolate.  Yummy.   They are also having an outing to a farm kitchen/hostelry but sadly I will miss that because I am on holiday. 

The rest of the day has been sorting out paperwork as the end of the year has now passed and the paper bills that I have kept for 12 months can be destroyed and another year begins and a nice empty space for them.   I record all bills in a cashbook, simple cash columns, so there is always a record of payments out which can be useful as a diary of when things were done to the house as well as utility payments. I find simple record keeping is very effective. 

I booked an overnight stay at Heathrow for when I return from Azerbaijan as the return flight arrives quite late in the evening and I would be unable to get back to Norfolk that night.  I have a hostel that I like to use in Central London which I would normally stay in but it is currently being refurbished and they were unable to give me a date when they will be taking bookings again so I decided to get on with an alternative and book at Heathrow, hopefully straight off the plane and a short walk to the hotel. 

Tonight it is the final of the pairs skating so the rest of the day is taken care of.  


4 comments:

  1. The WI cooking classes sound like a pleasant way to pass the day. Even better when there's chocolate. A good place to socialise without an pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This branch of WI has about four sub-groups who meet and one is the cookery group. They seem to entertain themselves with members of the group doing the demonstrations. I will never have anything to demonstrate! However, they are a fun set of people and I seem to have landed well here and making new friends.

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of those cooking classes!

    Good idea to stay the night at a place by the airport. The scheduled arrival is already rather late, and with every delay, you'll be more glad to just pop over to the hotel and go to bed.

    We've had a very April-like day yesterday, fast moving clouds, showers, sun, more showers, sun again... Today is forecast to be more settled with the promise of a half-sunny afternoon (a walk beckons!), but tomorrow, the day I usually travel to the office, we're supposed to see a drop again and maybe some snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was explaining to Linda above, I appear to have landed in with a friendly, fun set of people.

      The plane is scheduled to arrive at 9pm but like you, I also decided I needed to factor in that there could be delays and an even later arrival.

      Yesterday and again today we have sunshine but it is still very cold.

      Delete