Wednesday, 18 February 2026

Old and New Habits

 Yesterday I went for my Thai massage and was very pleased to find my little Thai lady back to her old self having sorted out her difficulties with family that she has just been through, a kind of hell and back.  Anyway, that all seems to be over and it was good to see her laughing again.  I have not seen her laughing and smiling for several months because of so many problems. 

I avoid the city during half term but arriving early I went for a coffee.  Children, some with parents, some with grandparents, everywhere.  Teenagers walking along in packs but where they went I don't know.  I wondered as they disappeared what they would be doing.  

When I came out from massage the street was blocked off at both ends by blue light flashing police cars.  I was allowed through because I was leaving but was not told what it was, just "there has been an incident".  Police were everywhere as I made my way back to the station. Why do school holidays cause so much rise in crime and incidents when packs of teens are out on the streets?  Are teens in schools the same as when they go out on the streets?   I think the age of good manners and rare incidents has gone.   A knifing was extremely rare once upon a time.  A fist fight would settle an argument quickly without a knife outside a dance hall or something but daytime incidents were not seen when I was growing up.  The most I was frightened of were the packs of dogs that still roamed the streets. 

Last night was another evening of splendid ice skating, this time the girls figure skating short programme.  It was amazing and as the commentator said, they showed up the boys.  The boys, as in Ilia Malinin, were there watching and cheering the girls on along with some stars of the screen and pop who I don't know but they were identified in the audience.   The young Russian skating as an independent led the way for most of the evening until the final two groups but she will be there fighting in the final skate on Thursday night.  Russians appear in many different colour flags because they have gone to other countries for nationality but this young girl doing the Michael Jackson skate of her life skated as a Russian but an independent to satisfy the Olympic committee.  One Russian skated as an Israeli.  Others were all colours of Europe.   The Russians are big in skating.  But also the Japanese and three brilliant Japanese figure skaters hold first, second and fourth so far with American in third splitting them.  It will be a great final night on Thursday.  I can't wait. 

Today I am out for lunch with friends in the riverside apartment where the boats once tied up and the grain lorries came to unload (ours amongst them) but now all warehouses and millers gone, now apartments.  The drug dealers replace the prostitutes and the red light still glimmers.  The posh flats come but the old riverside habits remain.  I will see if I can find a photo of the street when the grain lorries were there and the mills to show my friend.  I believe I have one.  My friend is not local and does not know what the street once looked like.  She moved to the city from far away and bought her apartment off plan.  She did not actually know she had moved into the red light district. 


6 comments:

  1. Oh my, that must have come as a surprise for your friend to discover her new home's reputation. I assume she will be safe there?
    Your comment about only being afraid of the roaming packs of dogs back in the past chimed with my childhood memories too. I used to hate having to walk past them on my way home from the bus stop after school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She arrived a few months before Covid so immediately was locked down when trying to establish a new life in a new place! However she attended things when she could and we all met on courses we do. She does not feel safe walking home in the dark so although it is within walking distance of things we do she feels safer in a taxi. The complex is heavily gated and is like Fort Knox to get into so once in she feels safe. Unfortunately a lot of drug dealing now goes on around there. There used to be a pack of dogs that roamed around near my school and would lounge on the pavement by the school gates and I was terrified to walk past them.

      Delete

  2. I'd love to live in an area with a history. But just as long as it was safe. I hope she is safe now!
    Its a jungle out there.
    Good to hear about your Thai lady. A happy masseur will keep you feeling better too, physically and mentally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The major problem now is drug dealing. It is done openly in the streets and in broad daylight. Many who have purchased posh apartments find their gateways and doorways used by drug dealers. I was pleased to find my Thai lady in a better head space than she has been for several months. Better for me and better for her.

      Delete
  3. It is good to know that your Thai lady is better now, obviously having left behind whatever family problems she had. I remember that she invited you to spend Christmas with her when she learned that you were on your own; that alone shows what a decent person she is.

    Drug dealing has been a big problem in my town for decades, too; it's not new in this area. Mainly focusing around the train station, every now and then the dealers are broken up by the police, but a couple of weeks later they are all back. In this town everybody knows that Fridays mean drugs market around the station. The "good" thing is that someone like me who is not at all involved can just go about their business, walking through the station on the way into town or going up to the platforms to catch a train. The dealers are only interested in their customers, and vice-versa; a middle-aged woman with a weekend suitcase is about as interesting to them as a lamp post.

    Enjoy your lunch with friends! (Or was that yesterday?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Thai lady lost her mother in November and had two very expensive flights to Thailand in the space of a few days having been told on her first visit that her mother would live for six months she returned to England only to be told on landing that her mother died overnight. Her mother was suffering from cancer. So she flew straight back. Added to that her family in Thailand had just lost everything in the floods. At the same time her 17 year old daughter gave birth to a child in England and with that there are multiple problems. Yes, she is a very caring lady and as the oldest in a family of 11 in Thailand she took upon herself all responsibilities.

      The main problem living in and near drug dealing areas is theft, handbag snatching and robbery. This is why my friend feels unsafe in approaching her home after dark although these things also happen in daylight.

      The lunch was yesterday.

      Delete