Monday, 23 February 2026

Travel


 Yesterday afternoon I went one step further with my trip to Azerbaijan and paid the trip balance.  I decided to pay by credit card for the Consumer Credit Act protection offered to credit card payments which are absent from debit card payments and it also gives me the ability to pay it off in instalments to suit me.  I am finding it very hard these days to save money and my savings do not build, slowly or otherwise, as they used to, and they are not building at all now.   

The credit card bank needed my approval for the payment and I got in a muddle doing it all on my phone app so had to ring the credit card company.  How nice, on a Sunday, I got straight through to a young man who told me to simply use two gadgets if I had them so that the approval needed did not cut off the company asking me for payment, if that makes sense.  So he reassured me that I was not going to pay twice which is really why I rang  and I went ahead and started again doing it his way, laptop and phone, and no problem, payment approval on phone and paid via laptop.  

The next step will be the visa application which I need as a tourist and should be easy enough on line I have been told.  At least I do not have to go to London as I did for Russia, with two trips, one to leave passport, give finger prints and then three days later return and collect.  Quite a costly exercise at the time with two rail trips and the cash of approximately £100 in a brown envelope for the Russians as card and cheque payments were not accepted.   

People ask me if I am going on holiday alone.  I am going with a group.   This does not mean that I necessarily meet any of them until I arrive at the destination because unless you spot someone with the tour company label on a piece of luggage at the out-going airport you are not going to meet anybody. A guide from the company always meets the group at the arrival airport.  Sometimes you end up sitting next to someone on the same tour like I did a few years ago when I met Odessa David,  as I called him, on the Ukraine flight and coincidentally sat next to him, and sometimes you see nobody and think you must be the only one going.  Additionally, some people make their own flight arrangements so go out on different flights and just meet up at the airport.  This is what I did myself in Albania four years ago when I went out four days before and met up with the guide and the rest of the group at the airport on the scheduled arrivals day.  I had been given the guide's phone number thank goodness because when I phoned him he said he had not been told someone was flying out on a different flight and would be meeting him at the airport.    Anyway, all was well and I announced I was already in Albania and asked where could I find him.  We met up at a coffee kiosk in Tirana Airport.  

 I am less likely to go on a city break on my own now as I am not so interested in galleries and museums as I used to be.  I know that may sound odd but I think I am totally  galleried-out!   


This is the small group I was with in Moldova.  I am standing third from left.  We look like a motley bunch!  We all got on well and had a great deal of fun and laughter.  In the evenings we split into two or three groups for meals out.  
And this is Natalya our guide for 10 days.  She was lovely and had a great sense of humour and perfect English. 

6 comments:

  1. Paying off the final balance for a trip makes it seem very real to me and I begin to feel quite eager for it to start.
    We have recently paid the final instalment for our Japan trip in April and I am counting down the weeks now.
    I look forward to reading your trip reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a kind of step by step business isn't it, getting nearer and nearer. I also look forward to hearing about your travels in Japan. I enjoyed James May's Travels in Japan on Prime. It looks like a great country to visit. I hope you get some good tours in.

      Delete
  2. Natalya does look lovely, and although I am not an experienced group traveller, I can imagine that the more diverse the group is the more fun you may have, meeting folks you'd otherwise never had gone out with for a meal or a trip.

    I hope the visa process will be easy and straightforward. Since my sister and I got our digital ETAs for the UK last year, we're good for this year, too, and I am glad about that - the process as such is easy enough, but it took quite some faffing with the mobile app to get my face and my passport scanned just so, in spite of following all the instructions to the dot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One gets involved with the group as little or as much as one wants to. I prefer to eat with company in the evenings but, for instance, the chap on the far right of the photo preferred to eat alone. I sometimes like to go off during the day time and do my own thing. I think one just adapts to what one wants. I have always got on well with everybody in group travel and never had or seen any problems.

      The visa process should be ok. I believe I also have to carry an up to date passport photo with me for some reason so may have to go to a photo booth for that. But the actual visa is issued on line.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy following your preparations and your travel. It's not something I'd be prepared to do anymore. I'm happy exploring the countryside around us now. Reading about your adventures past and future are enough these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I'll see how this one goes but I think it will probably be my last. The four years since reaching 70 have certainly changed things for me and health seems to be a constant worry.

      Delete