Saturday, 7 March 2026

Saturday

After the ride-on mower lessons on Thursday (and the stress of learning how to work it)  I needed an ordinary day on Friday.  (I discovered that googling questions about ride-on mowers is a bit like consulting Dr Google on personal health problems - you get told the worst case scenarios if you describe even a low case scenario.    Fortunately my brother has been ringing me to check I am getting on ok and this morning I concluded it is much better to ask him and forget about googling, (I didn't admit to him I had been googling as I was feeling a bit like a wimp about the whole thing anyway and didn't want to tell him!))  Being a farmer he tends to think in terms of the 100 acre field and the proper way to turn, do the headlands etc. etc. and I am thinking about nothing more than how to get the machine out of the shed in reverse gear.

There have been a few other things going on this week which were a bit concerning but I decided to engage some positive thinking to see me through.  My brother R (brother referred to above) who was with me at the time was a bit sceptical about me engaging only positive thinking to solve a property problem but I know from my experience that it can work.  And it did.   I also have the concern about the holiday going ahead but in the grander scale of things it is nothing.  Of course it would be disappointing if it is called off but lots of other things come first in life before holidays, but see penultimate paragraph. 

So back to my ordinary day on Friday.  It was, naturally,  a trip to the cinema to see Mother's Pride which is a heart-warming story of good folk over-coming adversity and the rich guy and the good folk winning in the end.   Mother's Pride makes me think of a loaf of bread because it is a brand  here although I haven't seen it in the supermarket for a long time.  However, in the film Mother's Pride is the name given to a beer brewed by the struggling pub in its own micro-brewery run by Martin Clunes and his sons, a granddaughter and eventually many village friends.  I had to have the handkerchief out a few times.    It made for a nice afternoon out, it is a bit limp but it was not toxic or violent or anything,  on a  disappointingly grey, very chilly day.

While I was out I received an email from the travel company giving reassurance that Azerbaijan is safe at the moment for travellers and they are keeping an eye on it and will notifiy if anything changes.  In the meantime they said to get on with obtaining my visa.   It takes the pressure off me always checking and I will leave it to them. 

This morning it is again very cold and grey here.  I have been out for the newspaper and some eggs which I forgot when I shopped during the week.  I noticed that they were queuing for petrol at the Shell garage.  I don't know if it was my imagination or what but people seemed to be shopping in a bit of a manic way.  I grabbed a meat pie for midweek as my token gesture to having some supplies in hand.  I also bought a tin of sardines and as an after thought, a loaf of bread.  That was my manic panic. 

6 comments:

  1. No panic buying over here ... yet. We had fortunately just received a top up of our heating oil which should last us now through until after the summer, and we had filled the car last week so hopefully no need to worry yet about fuel prices.
    I am not so worried about cancelling our holiday - provided we can get a refund. My only concern is that they say our connecting flights are still going ahead which would prevent us from cancelling through choice and having to forfeit the full cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that would be a problem. I had a bad experience with a refund over the Gatwick drone episode a few years ago. Flights were still going ahead but I wasn't on it! I just blot it out of my memory.

      My heating oil will last me until the summer too. The car will need its weekly fill but hopefully it will be ok next week. The headlines on the newspapers looked rather foreboding about oil getting to this country though. No wonder people were filling up.

      Delete
  2. Greece is in the firing line now but no one sees it as a serious threat yet. No panic buying though twice we have a short TV thing about having emergency rations and supplies for 72 hours. These get more ironic comments than serious thought. Many suggested it was just you'd get together to go on a camping holiday.
    Turkey is muttering as one of the islands now has a Patriot system, supposed to protect Bulgaria as well.
    I would be apprensive about the mower too until I'd done quite a few test drives. By myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Britain should get a move on and help with Cyprus as we have two bases there and Britain made a horlicks of Cyprus in the 1950s anyway, the least we can do is protect it. Our navy is in a mess with the destroyer not ready which is a poor show if ever there was one. And now we find Iranian spies in London seeking out Jewish targets such as synagogues.

      I hope to get on the mower on my own next week!

      I hope for some good weather this week and I will have a go at getting the mower going on my own, and remember the sequence of starting!

      Delete
  3. I've not watched the news last night, as shallow little me was out at a fashion show where I ended up buying a dress I will most likely wear for my wedding... therefore, I'd not heard about Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, Cyprus, but I shall definitely watch the news tonight.
    This morning I did a quick food shop for the weekend and didn't notice anything different at my local ALDI - Saturday mornings are always busy, and people are always daft, leaving their trolley in the middle of an aisle while wandering around picking up things here and there.

    Somehow I found that bit about your brother's and your own approach to the mower amusing; I can just imagine him thinking in another dimension there than you! But I am certain you'll soon master the machine, and it is wise to rather ask your brother than google if you need further advice.

    The film sounds like cosy watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The news item about Cyprus came up because there was a drone attack (origin unknown I think) on one of our bases there two days ago and the British Navy destroyer to attend the problem for defence purposes is not yet ready to sail and is not expected to arrive in the Mediterranean for another week. It has been an embarrassment for Britain. Clearly the two British bases are targets for Iran and it leaves a dangerous situation for Cyprus.

      Yes, my brother was concerned about me making a "good job" of the grass. I was concerned about actually making the thing go! I am sure I will love using it though.

      Delete