Have you noticed the expression 'brain fog' is appearing more and more? It appears frequently in medical descriptions on-line and it has appeared in blog posts where some bloggers have used it. It is not an expression I am familiar with although it is becoming more familiar. I know what the brain in and I know what fog is but I do not see the two going together in any intelligent way. Yesterday when coming across the expression once more I decided to Google it. The answer is that it is an expression that covers things like when you go into a room to get something and you can't remember what it is you went for. Yep, right. It is when you think you are a bit slow mentally. Yep right. Lack of focus, difficulty thinking and could be a symptom of stress and lack of sleep. It can affect young or old. Its use seems to have come in more since Covid and is a symptom of long Covid.
I think the expression is here to stay but it is not one I will be using. Yes, I do forget what I went into a room for occasionally, or I forget what I walked across the supermarket to fetch and when I get there I can't remember what it was I wanted. But brain fog? No. Don't like it. I call it just a sign of ageing and forgetfulness.
Another word that is getting used a lot these days is surreal. Everything that is vaguely out of the ordinary is described as surreal. This word is being misused in my opinion. I was thinking back to my mother, an educated woman of sharp wit and intelligence and I don't recall her ever using the word. She narrated her life to me containing fun things and experiences and observations but do I ever remember her using the word surreal? No, never. I think of surreal as a kind of out of body experience, not just something vaguely out of the ordinary or different. A local girl was recently on Masterchef and she described it in a newspaper interview as surreal. That was what really got me thinking about it. I suppose it was exciting and different from her day to day chefs kitchen work, but surreal?
Language evolves all the time along with everything else like politics in Great Britain with net zero and oil from the North Sea being drilled by us and sold abroad and then we buy some more to replace it from abroad. Surreal. Or just plain mad.
Lack of focus and good sense for me. I know the feeling. When I'm tired, angry or hungry I can't concentrate on the right thing to do and just charge ahead. That's when stupid mistakes are made obviously. Now I know to just walk away and come back to it later.
ReplyDeleteGoing into a room and forgetting what I want happens at any time. I just shrug, do something else and know soon all will be revealed.
Surreal is a word I've noticed too is being used more often. I wasn't even sure of it's exact meaning so googled the first time. I just tried it on my online thesaurus. Hypnogogic it said. That really cleared it up
I just use 'unreal'
Yes, I understand your explanation clearly. As in when I have had a bad night's sleep. However, I am in the period of life of ageing and forgetfulness now so I will stick to that. I am never going to be comfortable with the brain fog expression.
DeleteUnreal is ok but I think also needs careful consideration before use or could soon fall into the same boat as surreal.
Yes , I to would say unreal is more accurate. I have noticed that terms are being used in an exagerated sense frequently. superlatives are often not appropriate and are exagerations.
ReplyDeleteI have someone put items for sale , for me and they alwys tend to use stunning where I would say attractive and mind blowing is another example as are Amazing and gorgeous .
The wind actually felt soft today Rachel and you should be getting some southerly wind soon. Probably back to winter then.
Kathy
I suppose a lot of it has to do with age. I lot of misuse of surreal, for instance, is by young people who appear to think that everything new that they discover is like they are discovering the wheel again. My friend and I on Saturday were discussing trans gender, April Ashley etc. and both of us knew trans gender people in the 1950s/1960s and regard it as nothing new. Likewise my mother worked in a trans gender tailoring workshop in the 1930s. It was all taken in her stride in a matter of fact way with no cause for protests or banners. I can remember as a child my mother discussing it with me in a matter of fact way. It happens, accept it, she told me.
DeleteCould you add Like, Awesome, So, and Bestie, to your list?
ReplyDeleteThese are Americanism mostly aren't they. I could add a few more. One is co-workers. British workers were either people you worked with or work colleagues. Never co-workers.
Delete