Thursday, 18 June 2026

Makerfield

18 June is the day that the Makerfield by-election takes place. 

Rupert Lowe MP is very popular around the Yarmouth area.  He is MP for Yarmouth and he keeps a high profile.  When he first became MP there he was a member of the Reform Party.    He now has his own political party, Restore Britain; in Yarmouth he calls his party Great Yarmouth First.  

In the recent local authority elections his party took all 9 seats on the coastal belt around Yarmouth and knocked Reform to kingdom come in those areas.   

In the rest of Norfolk Reform, and Nigel Farage, did rather better.  In my local authority area I voted the day before I went on holiday and voted Conservative.  Reform narrowly defeated the Conservative candidate, a well known local member of the community who has represented the area on the council for many years.  I was quite surprised when I got home to discover the result. It was very close. Both candidates polled over 1000 votes but Reform just won.

Rupert Lowe is becoming a pain in the neck at the moment.  He is putting his fall-out with Nigel Farage and Reform above everything else in the Makerfield by-election this week.  I have already said  previously on the blog that Andy Burnham is going to win but it somehow grates on me that Rupert Lowe is making it so bloody easy for Labour by splitting the opposition vote. 

Rupert Lowe is 'good' communicator on X and he makes a lot of noise on a daily basis.  He donates all his MPs salary to small, local charities in Yarmouth.  He is well liked and who can blame them.  

He used to come across as a relatively good guy until the fall out with Farage where it appeared that Lowe had been stitched up with some bullying charges and then expelled from Reform.  

Then Lowe started to become  more and more outspoken like a man suddenly let loose with nobody holding him back to the point of making some  pretty mad speeches about becoming Prime Minister and saving the country and being able to repeal everything that the Blair government put in place and which the Tories  failed to achieve in 14 years,  not through lack of trying I might add.  I would almost go so far as to say Lowe has become deranged.  I see his latest X is he will immediately reverse the ban on social media for under 16s if he becomes PM.   It is all pie in the sky. 

A vote for Restore is a vote for Andy Burnham so please people of Makerfield on Thursday think carefully for the sake of the country and don't give Rupert Lowe's candidate your vote.  I don't think we are going to get a bit of luck and she will disappear - the Restore candidate is a woman, Rebecca Shepherd who actually sounds like a very good candidate,  and I don't truly think either way that Burnham is going to lose but it just irks me that Rupert Lowe is putting himself before everything else in this country - like heaven has no rage like love turned to hatred and hell know no fury and all that.   

I don't much care for Farage either but in this instance I would rather the country be saved by a victory for Reform and kept out of the hands of Labour and Andy Burnham heading towards a government coup and becoming PM and taking Ed Miliband with him as Chancellor of the Exchequer.   

What is one hell of a mess at the moment is about to get a hell of a lot worse if Reform don't win this by-election.  


10 comments:

  1. My fingers are crossed that Burnham DOESN'T get elected. He's too bloody smug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The future of the country rests on a small town in N W England. Sick isn't it. Burnham will win. The coup will happen. Britain is finished.

      Delete
  2. I don't have anything to add to this topic. People will go along and vote what their families used to vote for years ago. With regards to Rupert Lowe, whether he is an egomaniac or not, he generally does what he says he is going to do. I've just downloaded the Rape Gang Inquiry Report to read. Without him, it wouldn't have come to light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is loved around his constituency and I am sure his digging through the report on the rape gang scandal is good but what it will gain is anybody's guess as the institutional cover-ups are long known. I can remember being called names here in 2012 when I said that Asian taxi drivers were involved in a gang exploiting girls in Rotherham. Lowe without a doubt does what he says he will do but I think if he ever became PM he would find it is not possible because being a PM is a lot more difficult than being in opposition and spouting what you would do. If it was easy as a PM then we would not still be having rubber dinghies crossing the Channel with 900 illegals a week chucking their papers in the sea and landing at Dover.

      As for voting, yes, many will vote as they have for years. Those that don't today will be significant.

      Delete
    2. I know that it is far easier to be in opposition (I'm thinking Starmer) than to actually be Prime Minister. It is like they become radicalised when in power. Just reading the Rape Gang Inquiry Report. The abuse was/is countrywide. Mayor Khan new London was heavily involved. I feel sick.

      Delete
    3. I will leave you to your report Simone. Don't get too upset by it, I believe the figures are somewhat dubious in their calculation.

      Delete
    4. It is difficult to know who to trust these days Rachel. I feel all that I ever knew when growing up was a lie. I have always been wary of the state and its institutions. Cloudy here today but quite humid. I cut the grass the other day after you did yours. I felt so much better to see it tidy. x

      Delete
    5. I was always very trusting but not so now.

      I am glad you were able to cut the grass and be tidy again. The weather here has been disappointing today, cloudy most of the day.

      Delete
  3. At least the misery of constant speculation and analysis of the campaign will be over by tomorrow, to be replaced with constant speculation and analysis of the result. I live in the vain hope that Burnham will be defeated, but expect that I shall be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such is the deliberate manufacturing of this by-election I see no other result than Labour to win. It is a miserable time for Britain.

      Delete

Clerical error

 This was how the Archbishop of Canterbury remembered 9/11 by presenting a Muslim cleric with an award for interfaith goodness.   This prese...