To anybody who is reading here now, and I know there are not many people, numbers are low, but I am finished with the World Cup coverage and for me, I am finished with the World Cup.
Firstly the England Mexico was NOT the greatest game ever and it was luck that was on England's side that gave them the victory. It would be a lot more honest for the pundits to admit this, it would do more for the game to be honest. Yes, Bellingham came up trumps with the compassion and zest that I am always going on about, Gordon had a spectacular game and did his job like a solid, dependable worker, Kane was a great captain and he was composed on the penalty, but luck was on England's side and if this is what is supposed to be the greatest game ever seen and this is supposed to be great football then you can keep your 21st century football. I watched the highlights. I thought this looks good. I'll watch the whole match. I engaged IPlayer and I sat through the entire 90 minutes on Monday. All put together the highlights paled and I was left unimpressed and I actually felt sorry for Mexico who were clearly the better side.
Secondly, seeing the double standards of refereeing rob Egypt last night, well that is it for me. Play is brought back for a foul on an Argentinian in mid field before the Egypt (first) second goal so the goal is disallowed. This is on appeal from Argentinian players to look at a possible foul in midfield before the goal so VAR was engaged. Goal disallowed. Fast forward to the Argentinian winning goal in injury time and it is clear that Salah was fouled in the Argentinian penalty area. The ball is rushed to the other end and Argentina score. Egypt players point out the foul on Salah and appeal. VAR was not even checked.
Talk about double standards. Did the French referee only want Messi and Argentina to win?
Egypt were robbed.
It seems bias is everywhere now from sports to politics to journalism etc., I hate unfairness. I don't watch sports but may watch a little bit of winter sports such as ski jump or slalom. I hope you enjoy this Wednesday Rachel. Sending you lots of healing and positive vibes! x
ReplyDeleteIf Argentina's goal was allowed then so should Egypt's have been and vice versa. I don't like this double standard. I don't like a lot of things bt the best referee squad I have seen have been the females (I described here to Meike the other day). If only they had been refereeing last night. As for the England game, to see the eulogising in the press almost makes me despair I have been out early this morning and felt strong enough to walk to a charity shop and buy a couple of paperbacks. I am longing for a book to read. Thanks for your vibes Simone. xxx
DeleteEnjoy your books Rachel! I have just received Henri Matisse the cut outs but not opened the packaging yet. I'm looking forward to having a look through it later. x
DeleteI love his cut outs. I did some when I had the book. I'll put them on Instagram later. Xx
DeleteSince I have not watched any match, I can't comment on the goings-on, but just like Simone and you, I hate unfairness and double standards.
ReplyDeleteWhat paperbacks did you buy? I am currently reading a John Irving novel, a birthday present from my sister, and enjoy it. While I have not enjoyed every book by him on the same level (I have not read them all, but several), I really like this one so far (about one third in).
I have never read any John Irving novels. I see he is American. My two books are not handy at this second because they are upstairs. The one I have started is a Santa Montefiore novel in the Castle Deverill series. She is able to craft a good story so I think I will finish it. The other one I cannot remember the name but is a story situated in the area of the world where I went for my holiday recently. I will write the title down for you in a later comment. Rachel
Delete“Did the French referee only want Messi and Argentina to win?” Yes. Argentina will win the championship. If there is a slip, twixt cup and lip, and they don’t, it won’t be FIFA’s fault.
ReplyDeleteIndeed.
Delete