Monday, 6 July 2026

Sport and other bits and pieces

 It's been a hot day and with the septic tank maintenance and service check this morning it started early.   While I was waiting for the septic tank guy a car landed and blocked my drive way.  I went out and found a young boy in an old Jetta that had conked out. I chatted to him nicely and I said I thought his car had over-heated and if he let it cool it might re-start and I would fetch some water.  I told him to wait before taking the water cap off because it was clearly so hot it would probably explode boiling water in his face.  I went and got water.  He hold me had driven to London and back yesterday in the heat and the car was fine.  That is 200 miles at the very minimum.  I asked "did you check the water this morning".  He said no.  Anyway, the heat was rising out of the engine like a furnace as we stood beside it.   I was doing this all at 7.30 am.  Anyway, he was calm and fairly quiet so we waited a while for the car to cool and then he put the water in and he said it was empty.  I feltched more water from my outside tap.  Then he started his car and he said he would go. We waited a few minutes more.  The car didn't have any hose leaks or radiator leak because I checked it for him on the ground so I guess it was alright.  He thanked me  and went.  I think the car was about 40 years old from the license plate. 

The septic tank man said the boy landed at the right house with me.  If you drive an old car like that you need to check the water in hot weather after long journeys.

The septic tank man is lovely and he sorted out my years of problems last year you may recall.  And today he did the routine check and he said he hoped all his visits today would be so good.   I really like him. 

When he left I went out for my newspapers and some treats to keep me going.  I came home.  I rested because I am still not properly normal. 

I watched the England Mexico game over my lunch time.   It wasn't as I imagined.  I don't think it was worthy of some of the descriptions I heard of it being fantastic England and all sorts.  I think I should be able to expect this from them and it shouldn't be so special it is different.  It wasn't that fantastic.  England had quite a lot of luck to win like they did and of course they hung on in defence for the final 20 minutes and Tuchel made some very good substitutions.   There were good displays from all of the team but they didn't whip Mexico, they just got a bit lucky and won.    And there were too many yellow cards for England. 

I then watched Stage 3 of the Tour but not all of it, just the last 2 hours but I was also doing things at the same time like reading the papers.    The going was good through the Pyrennees and lots of good views across mountains and lakes.  The spectators were there in the woods where the organisers had warned them to keep away because of fire risk.  I don't think that message got through. 

UAE organised themselves well and Pogacar came in first.  Timed it well.  Pogacar, Vingegaard and Carapas came in one, two three.  Young Seixas came in 4th. 

The GC is as follows with the switch that Pogacar now has the Yellow Jersey:   (He also has the Green Jersey on points).

1. Pogacar         8hr 46" 55'                      16 points

2.  Vingegaard    "                                      6 points

3.   Evenepoel   8 47 15    + 23                 4 points

4.  Del Toro       8 47 19   + 24               10 points

5.  Ayuso        8 47 22      +27

6.  Seixas       8 47 43   +48

7.  Lipowitz  8 47 48    +53

8. Martinez  8 48 04    + 1'09

9. Johannessen 8 48 06 +1'11

10. Van Wilder 8 48 12  +1' 17


So that's it.  It was hot racing.  

Stage 4 is Carcassonne to Foix 181.9 km and undulating and 4 categorised climbs and 1 intermediate sprint. 

4 comments:

  1. I put the England Mexico game on but didn't watch most of it. Now we are watching Spain Portugal. I recognise some of the names from other matches. Ronaldo of course. Hope it's a good watch.
    I heard there were supposed to be no spectators for the Tour. Hard to keep them away I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised with the England Mexico game, first I watched just the highlights and thought, um, I'll watch all of it later and then when I watched it all it was disappointing except for the goals and the final result. I am glad Spain won last night.

      Delete
  2. It's the best we can do on a hot day, start early with whatever needs doing before it gets so hot that all you want to do is rest in a dark room with a glass of cold water always within reach.
    Your septic tank man is right - the boy with the old car landed at the right place! Had it been me, I wouldn't have had a clue where to look or what to do :-D
    I never got round yesterday to ask my sister about her take on the England Mexico game; our cousin from France is here for the week and so we were all catching up. I had not seen her in years, but it's like that with people you've known since babyhood - you instantly pick up where you left off last time you met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am inside in the cool of the house most of the time and do not need to travel far. Farmers work in all weathers, hot or cold, and harvest is now underway in this area.The farmers will be glad of a few days more of dry hot weather to get the barley in.

      The boy with the car was on his way to work and remarkably calm about breaking down on a country lane. I am glad he was calm though because he obviously knew that getting into a state about it would not have achieved anything. I was calm too although he was blocking my gate and I was expecting the septic tank man to arrive! I was pleased when the car started and he left.
      Enjoy the rest of your cousin's visit.

      Delete