The result of today's stage does not change the GC so, again, I won't type it all out.
A bunch sprint decides the stage and throws up a few new sprint names for me. Tim Merlier, however, does it again.
The first ten were as follows:
Merlier, Girmay, Koolj, Philipsen, Bitten, Pluimers, Ackermann, Russo, Kanter, Fretin.
Tomorrow's stage, Sunday, Stage 9 is Malemort to Ussel 185.5 km, undulating, or more like hilly and an over 3300 metre elevation gain and then back to almost the same height above sea level as at the start.
The nearest place I can see that I know near Ussel is Brive where as a teenager with two friends we were put off a train late at night for being on the wrong train in that we had the wrong price tickets and the guard threw us off. (We had innocently boarded the wrong train in Paris some hours before). We slept in a fairly isolated station all night and caught the first slow train next morning. We were heading south. It was my first trip abroad.
Favourite for stage 9: It looks like the finish could throw up some new names or also some we know but haven't heard for a while like Alaphilippe. Could be Pedersen, or Pidcock or Van Der Poel or Godon. Outsiders Ben Healey Ion Izaggire, or Plapp.
Monday is the first rest day.
By the way, if you don't read my posts because you think the Tour is not for you that is fair enough and totally understood. However, I would say that in most of my posts there is always something more to read here if you are a close inquisitive reader and interested in the lives of others. I could write a book about my life and the experiences I have had without children or grandchildren or spouse. You might be surprised but there is life without children. There is a whole world out there where you find your own way and you learn a lot in taking the trouble to fix your computer and your smart phone yourself,
I wonder sometimes what life would have been like without kids. Where I would be, what I might have done. But somewhere I always knew I'd end up with a family. The same way when I left NZ for the big overseas adventure in the 70s I knew I would never return to live there. It was a really strong feeling.
ReplyDeleteMy English friend here, 40 years I've known her,. She lives alone, arranges homes for stray cats and dogs and amazes me often with the things she does, the way she sorts out her life and gets through the red tape
Two of us in the family never had children and we have both had decent lives. I don't remember thinking about it, you just had to be married when I was young and if you weren't then you didn't have them. I am always amused when computer and mobile phone problems come up on blogs and the first thing that is said is they call the kids or grandkids. Actually working stuff out is helpful in the long run because in old age I reckon everybody needs to have some useful skills they can do themselves. I have one brother who is a "call the kids" type and I see it happening.
DeleteHuge smile at that. Im the first to just let someone else to sort out problems, especially tech ones. But there is an enormous satisfaction if I manage to figure it out myself
DeleteI think it is good to work stuff out for hourself.
Delete