I met my friend C for coffee and cake yesterday. It is something to look forward to for both of us and now is a regular Saturday thing for us. We never seem to run out of things to talk about. We are going to the adult education garden party together next Saturday. C did not want to go on her own. She is a little bit more shy than I am! C and I first met at a course on film run by the education group during the early part of Covid between lockdowns. We talked a bit at that time but didn't really get to know each other until after Covid and we were on another course and we sat next to each other. Then we kind of got to know each other better and then the 2024 general election clinched it when I told her I had voted Conservative when we bumped into each whilst shopping! She hugged me in Waitrose and told me about her experiences with her bookclub where she didn't dare speak of politics, and still doesn't. What a strange nation we are these days. It was not like this for my mother, scared or not scared of talking politics, in fact I don't think the question of speaking of politics outside the home every arose. It was just something at the dinner table perhaps but even then it was low key and polite. My parents had friends of all political persuasions but it didn't seem to matter to my parents or their friends, as far as I am aware. I remember delivering a present to a school friend immediately after I had left school and going into their house for the first time and finding they had a framed picture of Ted Heath on the wall above the Aga. I remember being transfixed looking at it and thinking that perhaps politics mattered a lot more to them than to my family and it was all a bit in your face. I pretended not to see it but the whole time I was there I kept seeing it out of the corner of my eye. (Ted Heath was the Conservative PM in the early 1970s, a surprise choice of leader at the time and not a popular one). I still think of the picture on the wall as strange even now over 50 years later. Incidentally I still see that friend and she still lives in the same house.
Yesterday continued hot and after coffee and cake I came home and cleaned some windows which is making the outlook from where I am sitting looking at the garden much more pleasant this morning. I can see some streaks I will have to deal with though.
Today is the last day of the Tour so no more distractions of tour writing here. It has not been the most exciting of tours with Pogacar leading all the way and the gaps quite wide but it has had its moments and after missing it all last year because of my dissertation I have enjoyed catching up with it again and remembering and learning the names, both old and new.
PS at 10.43 am : How strange weather is: although we are experiencing temperatures here of 25 to 27C hailstones are currently bouncing down outside on the garden and banging on my window and it is almost dark.
Hi Rachel.
ReplyDeleteHi, and I am glad you continued the comment below as I am not used to such short comments from you. Rachel xx
Delete
ReplyDeletei must have pressed a button.
They said we would have light rain last night during a period of 7 hours. It was dry. They said dull today ..its sunny. As has been said that in uk , we dont have a climate, only weather,
How is the harvest progressing , Rachel.
Mainly pastoral around here, although I notice that each year a frw ,ore fields are ploughed, think its mainly for crops under plastic though.
there is a strong ish northwest wind b;owing here this week , keeping the temperaatures lower.
Its good to have a friend you can meet.
Kathy xx
Harvest is progressing very well and perfect weather. I ignore the calls for rain, that can wait. The straw is in as well. The wheat awaits We have had a shower this morning and the hail which didn't last long. It did nothing more than wet the dust. All is well and hot weather continues this week. I hope all is well with you now back home after your travels. I am glad you were able to take a break. Rachel xx
DeleteYes it was good to have a break away and to visit my family.
DeleteI have not travelled by myself for years, the last time I travelled by coach was in the USA. I travelled from LA to San fransisco, where I was to be met, I arrived at SF after dark and no one w as there to meet me. SF bus station is not the ideal place to be stranded at night, quite scary as there was a lot of police and it was busy with people with no where to go, drunks and drug takers. I had to wait 3 hours, an interestin ! experience,
This time I had an hours wait at birmingham and was pleasantly surprise, it had changed considerably since I was last there in 1944.
I shall be trying some other journeys.
Kathy xx
That's good to hear. I remember some Greyhound bus stations being scary places late at night and in the night. I was travelling with a friend, I wouldn't have wanted to be alone in those places.
DeleteIt's good to meet a friend for coffee and cake, a pleasant interlude in the week.
ReplyDeleteYes, especially for us two who are both living on our own and have similar day to day ups and downs with nobody to share them with. We have a nice off-load on a Saturday with lots of laughter. Rachel
DeleteWith some people one never runs out of things to talk about. Lovely to have established your Saturday meetings for coffee & cake!
ReplyDeleteMaybe the family who had Ted Heath‘s picture on their wall had some personal relationship to him and were proud of their connection.
Hail, and after you‘ve just cleaned the windows!
We had about four drops of rain in Ripon around lunchtime. Very windy but warm and dry.
No they had no connection to Heath other than being party followers; when she invited me to attend the Young Conservative Association with her I realised that she came from a far more political family than me. I attended twice but it was not for me. We have remained friends ever since and she is still actively involved with local politics.
DeleteThe hail bounced off the windows and did not make any more marks on them. It only lasted for a few minutes and passed over.
Someone I know quite well is an intelligent, and very successful, businessman (A natural Conservative). During the last General Election he was so worried about being attacked or insulted by The Left that he put Labour Party posters outside his home.
ReplyDeleteUnderstandable these days. It isn't what it used to be anymore with politicis.
DeleteHaving a friend where
ReplyDeleteyou never run out of things to discuss is the best friend to have. I have one good friend here and we can natter on for hours. K gets rather bored because it's all in english. She has a sharp sense of humour which is refreshing.
My windows get cleaned when I put the fly screens up in summer. Balcony doors have to have dirty finger marks cleaned off, otherwise I forget them. Obviously not a job I enjoy!
Shutters the same.. I'm a slovenly house cleaner these days. Though, there is a season la la la, a time for everything. .... eventually
I'm a lazy house cleaner too especially now there's only me here, nobody else to complain. I like seeing my new friend on a Saturday because it is something ro look forward to if I have spent the entire week not seeing anyone. It is the same for her.
DeleteWe had a tiny bit of rain on Sunday but it didn't amount to much and soon evaporated away. Coffee and cake with a friend is something to look forward to for you both. When I was growing up my parents were liberals. It was nothing like the leftist Liberal party of today! I am unable to discuss politics with my husband or family. My parents now both 90 have no interest. They are too long in the tooth to be bothered with any of it. My Mum was once the receptionist with the AUEW. She remembered Tony Blair as not a very nice man. All his showmanship was for the camera.
ReplyDeleteIt will rain, I don't worry about it and its harvest time here and harvest time and rain do not mix together well. Tony Blair had a lot of the population wrapped around his little finger.
Delete