Yesterday I was out in the heat of the city because I had my six monthly contact lens eye examination. This goes with the territory of wearing contact lenses.
I found the city hot and unpleasant and arrived at the opticians 30 minutes early in order to sit in the cool of their premises and knowing that if it was possible my contact lens man would see me early if he was able to. Whilst waiting, with others doing the same incidentally, I tried on frames. (We were all hot and the temperature was 32C outside the shop. The shop had air con). I found a pair of amazing golden coloured frames which had I needed new glasses would have been my selection on the day but as I was not there for glasses I had to leave and ignore. I kept looking at them though.
We discussed my holiday and his, his being off to Bulgaria today to see his son rowing in Plovdiv.
Bulgaria is a place I have looked at for next year if I go on holiday although I am still drawn to the rail journey from London to Stockholm. It will be a little later on when I will decide what I am doing, if anything. It all depends on health. My goal for this year is to lose a bit of weight.
Incidentally talking of weight loss, a woman in Norfolk died on the mounjaro jabs and the inquest is currently on. She had a faecal bind in the bowel which caused a leak in the bowel wall. Be aware that you need good bowels to take this stuff that gives the weight loss by slowing the movement and digestion in general. Can this be the right thing to do? Knowing how important the bowel movement is should man be interfering with enzymes that hopefully cause us to do the right thing? The jury is still out on this particular unfortunate woman and the inquest continues.
My weight loss will come with eating less chocolate and biscuits.
I need new glasses. I recently had my eyes tested and one of my lens's is too strong. They presumed at the end of the test I would choose new frames there and then. I asked for the prescription to take with me and the man was a bit huffy as he sought out the optician to sign it for me. After being there for one hour I didn't have the desire to try frames on especially as I wouldn't trust the man 'helping' me to choose.
ReplyDeleteThe golden coloured frames sound lovely. I would like to keep the frames I have but they always make me change them saying the frame isn't strong enough.
Bulgaria sounds like a good holiday destination. London to Stockholm sounds good too. I fancy Prague one day.
Poor Mounjaro lady. I've heard that it is meant to satisfy hunger by keeping food in the bowl for longer. I would have thought this a terrible thing to do. We are told to eat fibre to keep the bowl regular! We are told so many differing views of what is and is not good for us. I would choose the natural method every time.
My weight loss had come about by thinking about what I consume and when. I walk for half an hour before breakfast to use up energy before refuelling! It seems to be working. Have a great day Rachel. Nice breeze today and slightly cooler. x
I was out buying my local paper just now and I noticed the poor Mounjaro woman is on the front page of The Times. The inquest has not concluded yet so I don't know what The Times was saying. I cannot belive that it can be good for the body to slow down the transit time of waste. However, who am I to say.
DeleteMy opticians offer a copy of the prescription as a matter of course which I assumed they are obliged to do so I am surprised your optician got a bit huffy about it.
Your walk before breakfast sounds very good. I aim to cut down on portion size as well as cutting out chocolate and biscuits. I will set it as my goal for the year .
xx
Each time I have gone to the opticians (I go once a year) they have not given me the prescription. I always have to ask for it. I go to Scrivens. The huffy assistant was an older man. He seemed so flummoxed about everything that I asked him if he was a new member of staff! Ha ha! He had been there for a year.
DeleteRegarding Mounjaro, I have also seen evidence of people putting the weight back on after stopping. When they are on it they seem to be more mindful of healthy eating and when they come off it just go back to their old ways. For me, sugar has been an addiction for most of my life. I no longer have a sweet tooth! As a child I was given 5p every day after school to spend on sweets. You can imagine the dental visits I have had! x
I also have a very sweet tooth and my mother would give me money for the tuck shop each day. I think the best way forward for me is a planned cut down and nothing too drastic.
DeleteWhen I read about Mounjaro I wonder how the users make the decision to stop because they must be scared to stop. I think whatever the outcome of the inquest of the poor woman the doctors involved will have dinner party conversations with their mates about Mounjaro and its effects and deaths they have seen. There are grey areas and proper judgments are probably a long way off. Same as with vaping. xx
Good luck avoiding chocolate and biscuits. I have no trouble avoiding those as long as I don't buy them. Common sense. Sometimes I buy them for 'someone else'. What games I play. Over weight. The modern disease.
ReplyDeleteI read blogs of a couple of English couples who have bought houses in Bulgaria. Life is cheaper, different in the big cities. I've only been over the border once, not into a tourist area. I was surprised at the poverty. Horse and carts, long drop loos. Depends where you go. Hopefully one day we will have a holiday up there. A border, a line on a map makes a difference which always surprises me too. Language, currency but also culture.
I didn't buy any chocolate or biscuits when I went shopping this morning. That's a good start. But mentally I play similar games and I bet next time I go out I but some.
DeleteThere was a tv programme here about a young couple who were able to buy a decent property in Bulgaria for some amazingly low price. It looked like a tough life plus learning the language. Most of it looked pretty shocking with regard to bathroom facilities. I don't think they had one! Perhaps they are one of the blogs you read. I had a friend from Sofia when I was at art school, she couldn't make out a lot of the students from London but we were good friends. I think she thought they were crazy.
Athens is in our news a lot this week, front page, because of the British woman murdered. I could do a post on Athens news!
A bomb threat at the French embassy, knifings of tourists at the Acropolis. Crime has escalated all over the country. Road rage where someone was attacked with a crow bar. A 90 year old found dead in a hotel freezer, or was it a restaurant, and he'd been there for 5 years. Elderly beaten and robbed. Greece is not the safe place it used to be.
ReplyDeleteI've seen a couple of programmes on English couples who have bought cheap in Bulgaria. The houses are all very primitive and run down but the ones I've seen have, over years and with a lot of hard work, repaired, converted, learnt a bit of the language. Its not an easy place to settle into but the locals seem friendly. Very adventurous people
The English woman was a kind of modern day missionary working in Athens. Bizarre isn't it?!. Nowhere is safe today. I could write crime blogs everyday.
DeleteThe language in Bulgaria isn't easy either.
I haven't had my eyesight tested since my cataract ops 9 years ago. My sight in the left eye has recently become a little blurry so perhaps I should make an appointment.
ReplyDeleteI lost over 2 stones in weight when I began to experience my gastric problems, purely by cutting out all fats. I still keep to a virtually fat free diet to avoid the pain so my weight has remained the same. Probably not advisable for everyone though.
I now have annual eye test because I have cataracts emerging. It used to be every two years.
DeleteI don't think I'll be cutting out too much, just reducing the biscuits and chocolate, and my comfort eating.
My friend and I were out this evening for a meal and having complained about not shifting 'fat' around the waistline she advised me to get a weighted hula hoop. Might be worth a go.
ReplyDeleteThe NHS will test me free once a year and I always get a prescription IF there is a change. But I must admit to wanting a new pair of specs. I've seen some rather nice ones when sorting the hearing aids out in Specsavers! Lesley x
I'll do some hola hoop research, I believe Simone has one.
DeleteI don't know what you mean by the NHS bit - prescription, change?
Prescription = Test results to correct eyesight
DeleteOh, I see. I read it along with the hula hoop! Incidentally, I just ordered one on Amazon.
DeleteWeight loss should always be a matter of 'will-power' not a reliance on drugs. This is why all my recent attempts have failed!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean!
Delete