Yesterday I went to the Adult Education group's summer garden party which was held at the house of the Chairman. As you will recall I resigned from the committee a year ago due to the dissertation writing which was followed by a bout of ill health. In fact I had become disillusioned with the running of the group and I was at a rather low point at the time and needed little to push me over the edge to step away.
A year has gone by and encouraged by my friend C who still goes to the group I decided to re-kindle my contact with them.
I was made very welcome and saw old friends and made some new ones. I was welcomed by the chairman and met the committee member who replaced me. I spoke to old committee members and found that things continue as before confirming my decision to step away to be the right one.
The afternoon was well organised with a jazz band to entertain, fresh cakes and sandwiches and lemonade and orange squash. I was expecting that there might have been some Pims but no but it is good to see that a fine time can be had by all without the need for alcohol.
On the day my friend C decided not to go. She had been coming with me. It was a very hot and sweaty day and she worried about being outside in the garden all afternoon. We had left it flexible as to whether we went or not and either one of us we knew might back out. As it was there was plenty of seating in the shade and cool areas. The garden was a mass of shrubs in one area, low maintenance and cool and plenty of garden seats amongst the pathways and canopies had been provided in the open area where the jazz band played.
I took one photo whilst the band set up which does not really do the setting of the house and garden justice. The house is large with an added extension to the rear and is otherwise of Tudor brickwork to the front roadside. The house immediately next door is 17th Century thatch. The house had effectively two separate gardens which I would guess were the result of the extension.

It's a shame your friend didn't go but I can understand her not wanting to sit in the sun. Music, good company, drink and sandwiches isn't a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I enjoy it when I have had a busy day and am ready for sleep. Hope today is good for you Rachel. x
ReplyDeleteYes, C would have enjoyed it but she is a little older than me and I understood totally. It made a nice change for me to go to a social event such as this and something where chatting was what was meant to be! I am good at that! xx
DeleteNow that's a different sort of title. Garden party, croquet on the law, cucumber sandwiches and Pimms? I wrote that without reading your post. No Pimms then, or elderberry cordial? But easy company and conversation. Enjoyable but tiring. We spent 3 hours on Saturday sitting under a huge plane tree, drinking, zero coke for me, with an old Navy friend of Ks. I needed a 2 hour siesta afterwards.
ReplyDeleteI had to stop myself thinking "now if I'd been on the committee we would have had ......."! However, it was a nice afternoon with people I hadn't seen for a year and some I had never seen and the band got it just right. It is surprising how tired you can get just doing nothing though isn't it!
DeleteIt sounds very pleasant. It's good to reconnect with old friends and acquaintances, and you didn't have to worry about any of the organisation of the afternoon.
ReplyDeleteYes, and as I happily concluded, I made the right decision in stepping away from the committee.
DeleteI would love to go to a good old fashioned garden party. How civilised.
ReplyDeleteThese days most families seem to have loud and boozy barbecues in the garden - or even hot tub parties!!
The orange and lemonade squash epitomised an age that we think of as long gone but it is still there if we grasp it. I think it takes bravery to host a garden party and not offer any alcohol today. They got it just right.
DeleteIt sounds like a very nice afternoon, and as you say, a good time can be had with no alcohol. It is good that you enjoyed speaking to the people you knew but have no regrets reg. your decision to leave the committee.
ReplyDeleteThere was no animosity when I left, I gave my reason as ill health at the time. Although I haven't attended any courses for a year it is still my intention to resume if something attracts me.
Delete