I was supposed to go out today to meet school friend for lunch and catch-up - haven't seen each other since January. However, she rang and called off because of the rain. I was surprised but didn't say so and went along with it. We rearranged the meeting for two weeks time.
I decided that I wasn't going to stay at home as I was geared up to going out so went to Diss and picked up my newspaper and then drove to Bressingham because I wanted a new jigsaw and I wanted to see the clothing in the summer sale in the clothing bits of the garden centre (Blooms) as I need a new outer jacket for winter. My two jackets that I wear are both quite old, one easily 20 years old and that had been designated a gardening coat until I resurrected it last winter and started going out in it again. However, it dangerously started falling apart and I almost lost everything from my pocket one day and it was only by a miracle that I became aware of everything tumbling down my leg from the pocket. I mended it and with Copydex put a new lining in and carried on until the end of winter. However, I have to admit that the dearly beloved jacket is to be no more for going out and has to be replaced. The other one is 10 years old and was purchased for my Trans Siberian trip. It still does well but is a little heavy for not so cold days and is also looking tired. It will continue to be used for cold days though.
I went into the Mountain shop first and they had a sale on and I tried on three different jackets, but none were exactly as I wanted so I decided to think about it. The hoods were all rather annoying and not detachable. As I always wear a hat I don't like hoods. I continued on to Cotton Traders and found the ideal winter jacket, in the sale, and less money than the sale goods in the Mountain outlet. Very relieved that I didn't go ahead with a purchase there. I also bought a flowery top in the sale which I have just tried on and find it very pleasing. I very rarely buy new clothes and if I do purchase something it is because it is replacing something falling apart. The only way I can save any money for holidays is by not buying clothing which is not a great hardship as I don't get excited about having lots of clothes, I just have a few that I wear over and over.
I also bought two jigsaws and have spent some of this afternoon starting one off.
It has turned into a very pleasant day and not wasted. Tomorrow I meet my other friends who I normally see once a month but have missed a few meetings this summer. We are going to the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts so I will go early and have a look around first. The exhibition on the Power of Play is still on, the one I recommended to Ang on Tracing Rainbows. I wonder if she ever went to it. I thought it would be right up her street. I often recommend things to her that are on locally. She doesn't comment here so I think I must have done something wrong!
I hope tomorrow isn't raining but if it is, well never mind. We are grateful for the rain in the eastern parts of England where the Autumn drilling is currently underway.
Yesterday I went to see De Gaulle - Resistance and loved it. It features a splendid Simon Russell Beale as Churchill who gets it just right with a wonderful interpretation of Churchill and his not so easy job in wartime. The film centres around the complexities of decision making in the latter part of the war and the relationship of De Gaulle and Churchill. Although it is a drama it is of course loosely based on fact of WW2 and it really did bring it home to me how difficult leadership is in wartime and decision-making and never knowing if you are doing the right thing. As I have said before, I believe that young people will forget the war, they already ask questions like "what war?" Field Marshall Montgomery is featured and I doubt that anyone under 60 would have immediately thought, "ah, yes, Monty". De Gaulle is played by Simon Abkarian who is French/Armenian and a splendid De Gaulle. If the film was still on I would see it again but the Odeon have chosen in their wisdom to take it off in Norwich. Things like Spiderman and Star Wars and Toy Story are more popular.
It was fortunate that your friend cancelled because you now have a new coat and a new flowery top! Two new jigsaws were also waiting for you. I am glad that you got to see a film again. Tomorrow will be something to look forward to with friends in the Visual Art centre. It is good that you are doing more again. It rained all day here and now the sky is blue and the grass is green! Enjoy your evening Rachel. x
ReplyDeleteIt turned the day around for me. I hadn't been looking forward to seeing her anyway! We chatted for an hour on the phone instead. I had been planning on the coat purchase for some time and suddenly it seemed right today. x
DeleteJust wanted to say I prefer this layout for your blog. x
ReplyDeleteYes, me too. I just up-dated the "theme" last week to a more modern one to see if it would up-date on blog lists and reading lists any better but it didn't so I went back to "simple theme" again today. xx
DeleteI am one of those shallow women who take an inordinate amount of pleasure in new clothes. I know that I have far too many but I just love to wear them, even though outings to nice places are now all too few. I think the local charity shops will do well once I am gone.
ReplyDeleteI loved clothes buying when I was younger but now I just have enough clothes to stand up in and to provide for my daily needs. I wear the same stuff day in and day out. The floral top is quite exciting! It is very much out of my comfort zone! xx
DeleteI haven't seen the film but I do hope that they stressed that De Gaulle ran away to England when things became tricky. I believe that Churchill saw him as a coward.
ReplyDeleteThe film was made by the French. The emphasis was on de Gaulle's disappointment with the Vichy government.
DeleteYou can definitely have too many clothes. I was happy to buy clothes when I lost weight. Cheap Chinese but actually good quality. I've decided I've probably got enough now to last me in this life. Though if used clothing comes my way and I like it I won't say no. Happens now and again.
ReplyDeleteI tend to wear the same things over and over because they're comfortable and I enjoy wearing them.
I definitely do not have too many clothes.
DeleteHello Rachel, back from my hiking holiday, yours is the first blog I'm reading and commenting on - and I am very pleased for you reg. the winter coat find, the flowery top, the new jigsaws and meeting your friend. How odd though that your other friend cancelled meeting for lunch because of the rain - you weren't planning a picnic on the grass, were you?
ReplyDeleteThe film you describe sounds important. Leadership takes skill, a firm character and good ethics, so often lacking in those people we expect to lead, be it politically or at a company, or even in our families. All the more important during times of war or other crisis such as a catastrophe like flood or earthquake. I don't envy any of them their jobs.
Thank you for visiting my blog first this morning. I am sorry to be late in responding but I have been out all day. I was surprised at my friend cancelling a lunch date because of rain - it was rain but not cold - however, I did not challenge and accepted that she did not wish to venture out in such weather. Puzzling but there you are.
DeleteThe film of De Gaulle and the Resistance was, of course, dramatised for effect but I found it interesting that the film took the slant that for both Churchill and De Gaulle decision making in wartime is extremely difficult and one never knows what the outcome of each decision will be.
I hope to read about your hiking holiday in due course. Thank you Meike.