I can't wait for the schools to go back and for my life to get back to normal. During school holidays and half terms I stay in far more than I usually do only venturing out for set appointments that cannot be missed.
When I was a child I was brought up to be seen and not heard. Obedience to this was paramount and if I was not obedient to my parents then I knew I would answer for it.
I wasn't an unhappy child with this. We were taken out and did fun things. We were not deprived in any way. Our family photograph album illustrates this with photos of beach, funfairs, tennis and garden outdoor teas with friends of my parents and their children. We visited our cousins in Suffolk at the big house in Bury and had fun mooching around their garden which I remember vividly. Always there are smiling faces and running around. My parents friends had a cine camera and we would be filmed in gardens and boats on the Norfolk Broads and then on winter evenings we would go for film shows to see ourselves.
I don't remember being screechy, screamy, running riot in public places or being shouted at at all. There would be no back chat.
Sometimes as a treat we would be taken to the pictures to the early evening showing of the latest popular films of the time, my father would take the boys to one cinema to see maybe a Western or a war film while mum and I went to something more girly. We would be picked up from schools, and mum would bring sandwiches for our tea which we would eat in the car. A packet of Smarties for during the film and an ice cream at the interval would be part of the adventure and being given the responsibility of going down to the front to fetch the ice-creams from the usherette would be part of the fun. But still no screaming and shouting.
Now my quiet days in the cinema café have been ruined so many times by screaming and shouty children that I have more or less abandoned cinema going during the holidays. The last time I went I sat whilst a child shouted at the top of his voice and was not once was it suggested he should quieten down. I wished I had headphones that were ear defenders. I don't own any headphones at all. When that particular parent eventually stood up to leave the cafe a second child appeared who had been sitting UNDERNEATH her chair hiding in her voluminous skirt and was probably why the other child had been shouting so much. It was all a puzzle to me but imagining us doing that in the 1950s was, well, quite unimaginable.
A couple of weeks ago my friend and I had to change table twice in Waitrose café because children were using the café as a place to run around the tables playing catch. The parents sat passively chatting and ignored how their children were upsetting other café users. You may recall that a man came over to us to sympathise with us and to comment on the situation which had also ruined his quiet coffee and chat with his wife.
Next week life returns to normal. I am meeting a friend for lunch in a popular restaurant which I know we will have virtually to ourselves next week. I hope to resume going to the cinema too, going out on the train and generally returning to normal.
Are there any children who are still brought up to be seen and not heard? When I see the behaviour of children in public places I wonder that anybody ever wants to be a teacher these days because the lack of discipline must be extremely difficult to cope with in the classroom and to introduce good manners and good discipline in said classroom must make teaching an academic subject like the three Rs secondary to the job.
Adults as well as children seem to be noisy today. When groups of young women get together they screech and jump up and down. Most strange. So many attention seekers in the age of the selfie. I like it when the schools go back too. I like to get back to my routine. Flying over to Dublin I had a child kicking the back of my seat. He was sitting behind my grown up son in the window seat but sitting diagonally with his feet sticking up in the air pushing into my chair. He was a right pain, attention seeking, not wanting to put on the seatbelt and pulling the window blind down when the air steward asked him not to do so. In the end he inevitably spilt Ribena juice all over the seats him and his family were in causing the steward to have to clear it all up. Such selfish and entitled people we have today! Happy September Rachel! Lovely day today. x
ReplyDeleteLife has changed a lot hasn't it! With lots of outward noise and showing off taken for granted. I am becoming an old codger moaning all the time. However, I prefer to see children well behaved and parents keeping them in check. It is rare to see children being controlled about noise and running about in public areas. I hope there was a parent on the plane who was at least trying to keep the child in order. Thank you. I am feeling like I am in lockdown at the moment! Not doing much. Rachel xx
DeleteThe child was with its very young Mum and Nan. Every time the Mum tried to reason with it the nan would butt in and tell the mum not to shout and keep making excuses for him. Then the nan was going on about his autism. The child clearly had no boundaries and the guardians were conflicting in their advice.
DeleteAs I am getting older I am finding that I have a low tolerance for noise! I hope you soon find yourself out of lockdown mode Rachel. I may join a group or do something new for September. x
Well good for the mum. x
DeleteThat was the, way we were brought up too. Children should be seen but not heard. Speak when you're spoken to. We all had chores to do inside the house and out. We squabbled and pouted but nothing major. That was the way it was back then. I brought up my kids in a similar fashion, a little bit more lenient.
ReplyDeleteHere children rule. They're spoiled and coddled and make a lot of noise but are generally well behaved. Just noisy. But the grown ups are noisy too, especially the females. they tend to screech.
I'm so glad when they all disappear back to school.
When I had small children I didn't really notice other people's. Now small children are to be avoided. Definitely something to do with getting older
My mother blamed playschools for making children more noisy and unruly. That was her simple explanation and she stuck to it. We were encouraged to talk at home but when company or strangers were in the house it was a question of speak when you are spoken to.
DeleteThere are plenty of parents doing a very good job of bringing up their children to behave responsibly. They are not the ones who are noticed, unfortunately.
ReplyDeleteI thought being seen and not heard went out with the Victorians and would worry if children were still being subjected to such an unreasonable expectation.
Having said that, I would not wish to return to the classroom to teach in some of the schools I hear about from my daughter-in-law. Poor behaviour has always existed. Fifty years ago a teacher of my acquaintance frequently had chairs thrown at her, by five-year-olds.
Kicking and spitting and swearing are not new. I have known young men (soldiers) proudly boasting of how their toddlers were learning swear words - they saw nothing wrong in it.
There have always been screamers - it starts very young and can be remedied with the right approach.
Too many parents are afraid to discipline their children, or simply don't know how. Such parents have always existed.
Yes, you are right in that it is the not so good parenting that is noticed. The most annoying and upsetting part of sitting near very unruly children in cafés is when the parents do nothing whatsoever to acknowledge it is happening and make no attempt to quieten their offspring. I don't mind what children do in private but when in public spaces some parental discipline is required and there are some rules of etiquette to be adhered to that should be passed on to children.
DeleteI remember my Mum once saying that when I was a child I could be difficult at home ( probably fighting with my brother!) but she could always take me out anywhere and be proud of me...not that we ever went eating out .....just shopping or to relatives.
ReplyDeleteJust as it should be then and now. X
Delete