What have I been doing since I wrote Stitch Up post on Friday? I didn't post immediately after because I was waiting for people to catch up. Thanks to Blogger not up-dating it takes me two or three days now to get a post read which is a shame because my posts are dear to me on the day I write them. They are less dear to me a few days later.
So on Friday itself I went to see the Oasis movie Don't Look Back in Anger 2025 world tour. It now seems like history and I am no longer fresh to write about it. It was Friday afternoon and most people were going to see other things so I had the screening more or less to myself.
I didn't get much music in the 1990s, we just lived to work and when I wasn't working I was with mum, my ex who didn't like music or have the patience for listening, watching football, watching Bloomberg or dodging things that my life didn't fit as mainstream. I was working long hours and having two weeks holiday in July every year, and it was really not a particularly nice decade for me.
Getting back to the Oasis movie, I learned a lot about Oasis and how the Gallagher brothers had a 15 year rift of not speaking to each other. They are said to have made up and are now speaking and did the 2025 Tour. I don't think they are overboard friends even now if the film is anything to go by. They made music and rehearsed together but apart from the official times of rehearsal and tour they didn't go for dinner together and Liam mostly only attended as and when he had to. I enjoyed the songs which I didn't really know and I am always impressed and even moved by seeing fans, particularly grown men, singing along and crying with joy. Apart from that I cannot remember much else about Friday.
On Saturday I met my friend for our usual Waitrose coffee and cake and chat and it is something I look forward to. I shared Oasis with her and we swapped travel stories of the 1990s and it turned out we share a love of Venice that we did not know about.
On Sunday I spent the day alone and didn't go out. I don't bother with a Sunday paper as they are usually full of stuff that I have already read during the week and a recent purchase of the Sunday Times disappointed me that the paper is a shadow of its former self when in its heyday was the paper of a Sunday. I watched the Manchester derby and enjoyed it with all its controversy. I think it was harsh to send Foden off and if he went off then so should Fernandes, they both kicked out at each other. Then there was Haaland's goal which was first ruled offside then VAR said it was ok and it stood. I thought it was a great goal but on strict ruling it was actually offside and Michael Oliver (ref) now admits this and VAR got it wrong and he never analysed it pitch side. VAR should do better. Sky analysed it to so much length that I shouted at the screen.
Last night Leeds beat Newcastle 4-1 which is great and I follow Leeds because Daniel Farke used to manage Norwich and I like him and thought he was unfairly treated by Norwich. He was almost unfairly treated by Leeds when they got promotion to the Premier League because they didn't think he was going to be good enough and nearly sacked him. So he has now managed to hold them together for one season up there and is now in the second. I am watching football again and have also paid my TNT subscription having struggled along without it duirng the Tour de France I now have it for the Champions League. Mad of me to not pay duirng the Tour. Oh well, we are all unpredictable are we not. Talking of the Tour, as many of you will know, Pogacar had a crash in the Vuelta when he hit a rock, tiny, that rolled into the road, and he went over the handlebars and broke his collarbone. So Pogacar is human and unlucky too sometimes. He has had an operation and is now recovering. He is out for the rest of 2026.
Yesterday I went to the cinema again and saw an obscure quirky little Scottish film The Incomer which had them excited at the 2026 Sundance Festival but didn't have me quite so excited. It is about a brother and sister living on an isolated Scottish island and they are distinctly odd to put it mildly dressing up in feathers and being seagulls illustrates this. It is described as a comedy but it is definitely off beat comedy. A young man from a local authority is sent to evict them from the island. I can't say much about it because it was absurd at times, dark, not funny and then again funny. It was both annoying and irritating and then sometimes it would make me laugh. I left it all before the ending weighing up whether I would rather see the ending and miss my train or not. I decided to get my train and didn't really care how it ended. The reviews had captured me to see it but the film itself did not.
I really don't get the fuss about Oasis. I never really liked them or their music. They seemed to come across as obnoxious to me. The fact they are Mancunian and working class is probably what gives them their popularity. The other film you saw sounds dreadful! I don't think I would risk missing a train to see the end. Your cake and coffee sounds like a nicer way to spend some time. I think I would love Venice. Did you visit Rachel? I can't remember if you did a post about it. Hope you have a good day. I went out for an early morning walk to raise my vibration! x
ReplyDeleteAs Liam said in the film, mostly he is shouting not singing because he is angry. Although the songs sounded familiar I couldn't have identified them and they do all tend to sound similar. This is probably a sacrilege thing to say! I didn't much enjoy the Scottish film, it will be interesting to see the reviews of the ordinary man in the street as opposed to the film critics.
DeleteI have been to Venice many times because I used to visit the Biennale, sometimes with others and sometimes on my own. I haven't been for about 10 years though. xx
I would like to visit Venice one day. I would soak up the culture and the atmosphere. I am sure to take lots of photos and videos too! x
ReplyDeleteIn spite of the crowds it is still possible to find the quiet areas of Venice. I have very fond memories of walking around, museums, galleries and bars. I knew I wanted to go to Venice when I saw Johnny Morris go on Children's Hour. I still remember him vividly doing all the voices and pointing out a woman's washing hanging out between alleys. It is still like that.
DeleteI know what you mean about writing while it's all fresh in the mind. Those days of delays mean I miss a lot.
ReplyDeleteThe blog up-dating business I think will have to be put to one side in my mind. It is kind of doing my head in as they say.
Delete