Wednesday, 12 November 2025

Anemone

 I went to the cinema yesterday to see Anemone.  I went knowing nothing about it.  All I knew was it was directed by Ronan Day-Lewis and his father Daniel Day-Lewis was in it along with Sean Bean.  There ended my knowledge.  

It is a psychological drama.  It is filmed mainly in Anglesey with wild scenery and wild seas and a hut in a forest where most of the drama takes place.   There is also plenty of running along an Anglesey beach , wind and wildness through dunes and forests.  

Ronan directs it well.  Sean Bean acts well as does DD Lewis.  

It is a drama about estranged brothers (Bean and DDLewis)/a father son complication spanning past and present/priests/pagan versus religion/the British military and the Troubles (to us in Britain the Troubles means Northern Ireland late 1960s) both brothers having served in the military.   It is atmospheric, we don't see the Troubles, but they gradually ooze out.  I felt immersed there in the hut waiting....

Real life family estrangements in my experience don't really work through like this but I wish they did.  It is a good psychological drama with a suspense that kept me watching and just enough to move me to liking both brothers.  Back home there is a complication of a wife and a son that overlap Bean and Lewis.   

The anemone is in the garden, both in their childhood and now.  It brings the threads together. 

I recommend.


On a different note, the weather here is looking good for Joy's visit today.  The clouds are high and the sun is breaking through.  She may not even need her umbrella. 

No comments:

Post a Comment