I went to see Lynne Ramsey's Die My Love yesterday. It is beyond superlatives. I loved it, full on, exhausting, Jennifer Lawrence at her most exceedingly best.
I know mental illness from living with a schizophrenic. It is full on. It is unbearable, it is draining, frightening and horrible. (Don't worry, he is gone now). All mental illness at its true state of mental illness (not the "oh, I feel depressed today sweetie and I can't go to work') is horrific for all concerned particularly for those in immediate proximity like the loved one to the mentally ill person. In the film Jennifer Lawrence is mentally ill verging on madness with post partum depression. All mental illness is horrible horrible horrible.
It is more than I can do to write and do justice to this movie. I loved it, I loved the choice of music, I love the full-on-ness and I was fixated and happy but drained. I wouldn't want to go again - I often go again to movies that I like but no, not this one, I don't think so anyway on the morning after. I stayed until the last credit because I didn't feel like moving from my seat too quickly.
Glad you are back. I have missed your blogs.
ReplyDeleteThank you Guusje. I am pleased to see you here today too.
DeleteIt sounds perhaps a little too full-on for me (I am quite the wimp), but I imagine it must hold a very compelling interest for you, given your previous experience.
ReplyDeleteYou do sound quite exhilarated x
It was a wonderful performance by Jennifer Lawrence, and the whole cast, but she was full-on throughout. Given my experience of living with someone seriously mentally ill it certainly did strike a cord with me. The choice of music throughout was also very apposite and music, as many people know, is very important to me in films. x
DeleteShe is a gutsie actress, bold and brave
ReplyDeleteShe certainly showed that here.
Delete