Friday, 26 December 2025

Knives Out

It is very frosty this morning which isn't surprising after the cold day yesterday with the biting easterly wind.  In spite of that I was still able to do my exercises outside because the sun was surprisingly warm and with a little bit of shelter from the wind and the warmth of doing the exercises all was well.

In the afternoon of Christmas Day I participated in the WEA (Workers Educational Association) 2 hour session on line via Zoom.  This live event was hosted by a lady in Bedfordshire and 28 people participated.  She had been advised that over 100 people had registered.  28 was a good number and it was probably a blessing that not all 100 people had turned up.  I suppose as it was a free event some registered not knowing whether they would actually be able to participate or not.  

I wasn't sure what to expect but it turned out to be a look at the 12 days of Christmas from a historic cookery point of view, the lady being a cookery tutor for the WEA. Mrs Beeton's recipes from the 1930s were referred to quite a bit which struck a chord with me because my mother often cooked from Mrs Beeton recipes and I still refer to Mrs Beeton occasionally as I have my mum's old copy. 

The tutor was quite fun and pitched it at the right, chatty level and we communicated with her and each other via the chat facility rather than calling out.  Of the 28 in attendance several I think must have been very shy because only 8 of us had our cameras turned on.  

That took up two hours between 3 and 5 and at the end I went to prepare my steak for my tea.  That went well and I then watched the first two episodes of Knives Out with Daniel Craig which I remember seeing before quite a long time ago.  I watched the third episode a few nights ago.  I watched Goodbye June with Tim Spall and Helen Mirren and Kate Winslet, with Winslet in her first directing role.  She directed and was in it.   I turned off before the end as it was not particularly to my liking and had many flaws which irritated me.  They may not be an irritation to others so I won't go into it.  I don't wish to be torn apart here.

I started my latest jigsaw in the early afternoon and got hooked on that and it will keep me occupied for about an hour a day (I limit myself) for a week or two.  It is the Amsterdam Flower Market scene and a  Ravensburger,  naturally,  a good find in the charity shop last week.  

I also did some further de-cluttering and cleared an item out of my kitchen that needed to go into the rubbish.    

All in all a good day and useful things achieved.  I also did the floor exercises in the evening which cannot be done outside.  I am improving the look of me getting up off the floor.  I am now concentrating on getting DOWN to the floor without holding on to anything.  Much more difficult than I thought. 

All in all a good day.   

Today I will light the fire early as Sue is coming round with the Christmas cake and we are having a glass of sherry.  


6 comments:

  1. Enjoy your cake and sherry.
    I am suffering from an over indulgent lunch. Not used to eating so much food at midday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, those large lunches, anything much more than a sandwich, are too much for me at midday. Old habits die hard. Enjoy the rest of your holiday. xx

      Delete
  2. Your day reads pleasantly busy. Cake and sherry with a friend while the fire warms the room sounds bery nice and cosy, too.
    I seem to remember Knives Out as a film, not a series, but am not entirely sure we‘re talking about the same thing.
    Mrs Beeton is (was) an institution, wasn‘t she!
    Well done on the exercises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have called Knives Out films, not episodes, as they are three stand alone movies. So I am pretty sure we will be talking about the same thing.

      My friend from next door came round and we exchanged news of the area and enjoyed our sherry. I will start the cake later as we did not
      eat cake with the sherry.

      Mrs Beeton's recipes are quite dated now but for some basic methods it is still a handy reference.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for clarifying about Knives Out.

      I knew I had read a book by Mrs Beeton years ago and have just found the review on my blog:
      https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2017/08/read-in-2017-26-mrs-beetons-book-of.html

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the link. I am interested that you took the trouble to research the book (as it is not German) and read it. My mother's 1930s copy of Mrs Beeton's recipe book is 896 pages. I like the way it is set out in sections with things like plain foods for invalids as well as sections on cooking fruit with boiling times for instance and multiple sauces that can be made. (These are sections I find useful). It also has a section on utensils for the kitchen and management in the kitchen and food from overseas recipes were included. I know the book so well as I have been using it all my life, with my mother, and now on my own.

      Delete