Wednesday, 24 December 2025

Christmas Eve

When you are spending Christmas Day on your own and you have to tell people when they ask you it reminded me of the reaction some people have to a death - they don't know what to say to you!  I know now why my mother used to fib about what she was doing over Christmas.  It happens over and over again, that people just expect you to "be doing something over Christmas".  Well I am not.  I am sure there must be many of us who "are not" and are perfectly happy with the situation.   I also will not be giving any presents nor receiving any.  And that is ok too.  My brothers don't exchange presents and announced this to me some years ago so I stopped too and that is just about it for me as far as presents ever went after Mum died and later my ex left.  

Now the only things I do are neighbourly and concern the people who live around me and who help each other during the year.  My neighbour Sue is coming round on Boxing Day with a Christmas cake that she has baked for me and we are having sherry together.  We arranged this the other day.  My neighbour David is cat sitting for some friends in Suffolk so he has been round and had a chat and now disappeared until next week.  (David also looks after my cats when I go away). 

Chris and John across the road have been round and on the phone because they are worried about me being alone on Christmas Day but are now reassured that I will be ok following a further phone call from Chris yesterday.  The are going to the next village to be with their daughter.   John muttered that he would rather be home than in a house with 10 people and a lot of noise.  He is 86. 

So now that I have convinced everybody I will be ok we can all relax!

Yesterday felt more like Christmas Eve than today does.  I have put the bin out and the binmen's Christmas Box so that is the job done for today. Hopefully I will see the postman to give him his. 

 I didn't get out for any milk yesterday so am still heading for porridge with water for the next few days unless I get into a supermarket today.  I only drink Soya milk and it is not so easy to get in the villages.  Yesterday I got to the bakery and got rolls and mince pies but abandoned Waitrose visit because I could see that the roads were jammed and the car park jammed so carried on round the roundabout and came home.  So I didn't get a paper either.

Last night I tried  again with The Great Flood  but still could not get into it at all and a woman carrying a child too heavy for her through a flood up a block of flats and turning down help from a man who offered to carry him for her does not make good viewing panting away (even in Korean with subtitles).  It was unpleasant and went on for too long with the huffing and puffing in the water and all the stairs going up and all I wanted to shout was for God's sake give the child to the man.  Then she appeared to be having to give the child up for some experiment (it is a scifi movie) and next I see her back in a flooded flat about to, yes you guessed it, pick him up again, and I was totally lost and done for.  I turned over.

I then went to bed and started one of the books that I picked up from the charity shop yesterday when I went to the bakery.

This morning is bright and good for a day of exercises, relaxation, more exercises and who knows, I might even get into Waitrose.  My friend Christine is ringing me tonight for some normality after a day at the 'hospice'  where her husband is on end of life and in a home  (hospital full and hospice full so he has been shipped out to a home which is being paid for by NHS under scheme where if NHS can't care for you then they have to pay to put you in a home) where the staff are good but the facilities terrible and she has whats app'd me to say can she ring me tonight for some normality.  Christine is also childless and lovely and on her own, apart from the hospice visits which have been going on for weeks while husband has morphine pumped into him.

That's it for now.  

14 comments:

  1. You seem to have everything sorted to your satisfaction. Never mind what others say, just do what makes you comfortable.
    Here in our hotel is an elderly Italian lady we met at breakfast. She is spending her Christmas here alone but she gets to stay in a very good hotel in a beautiful city with staff and other guests to chat to. She is delightful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I had better be quiet about what I think about Christmas in this country.

      I seriously considered going back to the hotel I loved in Tirana on my own for a few days this year, but in the summer, not winter. However in the end I didn't do it but it is something I will consider again. The 2018 Christmas Gatwick drone debacle when I was heading to Genoa on my own put me off travel at Christmas for ever! Enjoy Verona!

      Delete
  2. Your Christmas sounds perfect Rachel. You have people that care about you and you them. Mince pies and rolls bought and a sherry and Christmas cake sound just fine. This year Christmas had been postponed by my parents as my auntie who lives with them fractured her pelvis on 30 November and has been in hospital ever since. The hospital want the bed but don't have anywhere to put her. Her care is now in the hands of social services that are to allocate her carers to get her up and put her to bed at home. Problem is they are understaffed and don't have anyone to do this so at the moment she won't be home until at least Boxing day. My parents are both 89 and frail and my auntie is 80 with rheumatoid arthritis. It is all a bit of a nightmare! I am sure your friend Christine will welcome your chat with her tonight. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simone. I am sorry to hear the news about your aunt, it is so worrying for you all, especially your parents and aunt who are all of an age where everyday is a worry under any circumstances. It is a shame that all the convalescent places closed down without any thought that there would be a huge gap to fill that was barely ever addressed. We have some community midway beds here but not nearly enough. Christine and I meet regularly but as her husband is deteriorating we haven't been able to see each other because she spends the day with him so she whats app'd me this morning and said she wanted to speak and have a normal conversation so that's what we are doing. I am in her hands. It is amazing the pressure she is under from people close to her so she said she wants "normal conversation" with me! I hope everything gets better for your aunt and parents. I am sure Christmas is overdone and it just makes people feel worse. xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks Rachel. Sorry for offloading! With all the money being pumped into 'saving the NHS' I think that some of that could be put into social services. The hospital were going to put her in a rehabilitation centre in Brixton that only had 20 beds and then when that didn't happen they considered a care home but said it would be too expensive. A social worker asked if family could bridge the gap until social care could be arranged but it is not practical. My family live in a Victorian terrace with 2 flights of stairs. They all walk with sticks. The bedrooms are at the top of the house. I can understand your friend wanting normal conversation. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok Simone, I like a chatty comment even if the subject is not easy. I am afraid that the ever increasing population is just too big for the NHS and social care. There is an awful lot of things that go wrong when a population is so large and the infrastructure was designed for a country long gone. It is all very sad, and worrying that nobody ever wants to say the truth. xxx

      Delete
  4. It is good of your neighbours to care about you, but equally good that you are very much your own person and do not feel you HAVE to be "somewhere" with "someone" for Christmas just for the sake of it - or just so that other people can stop worrying about you.

    The flood film sounds rather awful, and from your description you really watched it long enough to give it a chance to get better!

    My sister and I have been to my Mum's a bit before lunch time today to decorate her tree, and now I am home for a few hours all to myself, which I much appreciate, before I'll be back at Mum's at 6:00 pm for our Christmas Eve celebration, which for us is the main part of Christmas. There used to be all four of us, Mum & Dad, sister and myself, plus grandparents, plus sometimes a family friend or two, but now there's only the three of us left, which feels just as right as the larger celebrations did.
    Tomorrow, I'll be on a train to O.K.'s, and then the two of us will return to my place on the 27th.
    Have a Merry Christmas YOUR way, Rachel. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy doing my own thing. Neighbours in small communities and villages are generally friendly to one another and caring. Your day with your mum souinds great. If there was one place I would love to be that would be with my mum. You are so fortunate to have trains running on Christmas Day. We do not have any in my region, nor the next day either. Enjoy your time at home and with O.K, Meike. xx

      Delete
  5. Rachel, I wish you a Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Christmas Rachel. Lovely crisp day here with a blue sky! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simone. Cold day here. Hope you had a lovely day. x

      Delete
  7. It's Christmas morning here now. Have a very Merry Christmas, Rachel! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete