I am writing again today because it is customary to wish everybody a Happy New Year and to look back at the year of blogging.
I wish all my readers of the new blog a sincere thank you for following me here and especially to those who have carried on leaving me comments who are JayCee, Meike, Simone, John, Bonnie and Yael, Jenn and Pip, Jennifer, and Ranee (who is just catching up with posts). I just remembered Bob and The Hatts visited too Dave has been around and I am hoping he will come back soon and a new face came yesterday called Tink and Ilona who stays in touch via email. I appreciate all the comments that you leave me and I wish you a very happy New Year.
The year saw me busy with completing the Masters degree between January and June with classes and workshops carrying on and then from July to September writing up my dissertation and attending supervision with my professor. That is all now finished, Masters degree awarded, certificate received, and moving onwards, and I have started a new chapter in my life. Following the end of the course the legacy is that I am feeling positive and confident, independent more than ever, and looking forward to 2026.
I gave blogging a break for a few months as I described in my first post of this blog and will not go further into it again except to say the break did me good and I am pleased to be back writing.
In early October, after the time I handed in the dissertation, I suffered a mystery illness which was identified as a virus and I am pleased to say that in spite of all the fears and puzzles that it presented to me and the doctors I am now feeling well again.
In September, just before the virus, I booked a holiday for next year which is a tour of Azerbaijan. This is the first time I have ever booked a holiday so far in advance and during the illness I came close twice to cancelling it. I also had two difficult calls with my travel insurer trying to be honest and explaining things to them, including touching on my refusal to take statins which had nothing to do with the illness, and then being slammed with a £100 extra on my premiun.
On the back of booking the Azerbaijan trip I commenced an exercise regime to get fitter for the holiday which I have now been doing for three months and starting to feel the benefits. During the virus I was still able to exercise.
In September I resigned from the Adult Education Learning Group committee as I no longer felt that I wanted to be part of this group researching speakers. This was one of the changes I made on completion of my university course and a direct result of the way I feel now about continuing my life in a different direction. I am hoping that 2026 will make this clearer.
Midway through November I started to feel better and now I think I am through the bad times of the illness. I have upped the exercises and they have now become a part of my life.
I still go to the cinema regularly, massage once a month, and meet the girl friends for lunch.
Nothing has really changed in my year and I wouldn't say it has been a bad year for me, it has been challenging in many ways, but interesting for me and I have enjoyed my life as I live it and resigned myself to the Labour government that we are lumbered with. There is no quick way out of it.
I started attending the Women's Institute in November on a three month taster programme and will probably join in January. It keeps me going in terms of having to make an effort to comb my hair and dress up to go out at least once a month if nothing else.
I had a six months relationship from January to July with a man 20 years younger than me and that bucked me up no end and I enjoyed every minute of it, even the day he decided that he was going to up and leave in the middle of a coffee and "start a new life" leaving me, and the man on the next table, bemused and amused respectively.
I heard from him over Christmas as readers will know so no more to be said today on that. I am unlikely to be doing very much with him this year but the odd coffee and conversation now and again I will not object to. He is a fine person and I have no quarrels with him. What is past is past. He made me feel human again and that new relationships are not just for the young.
So that is just about it. If I think of anything else in the meantime I will add it as an edit.
Have a great Old Year's Night. I will be in bed usual time and for tomorrow I wish you all a very Happy New Year.
Rachel, I wish you a wonderful year, health, happiness, and all the best in the world.
ReplyDeleteDear Yael, thank you for your friendship throughout the year and I hope that 2026 is more peaceful for you. Happy New Year! xx
DeleteLet's all wish for a comfortable, peaceful, contented year to come. We are off to drive through a snow globe to visit with old, dear friends for supper. We are planning to spend the night, as driving through this after dark is not fun. Good on you continuing with your exercise regime. Not many can say that! -Jenn
ReplyDeleteHi Jenn, just got up this morning and it is very frosty here. I hope you had a great evening and a peaceful sleep before returning home today. Happy New Year! xx
DeleteHappy New Year, dear Rachel! I'm rather tickled by the idea of you attending the WI, for my image of it is formed entirely by novels like the E. F. Benson's Mapp & Lucia series. What fun, what mischief - amongst the good works - might ensue with you in their midst!
ReplyDeleteThanks Pip. I find it rather odd (and difficult) to say I am joining the Women's Institute, believe me! However, my observation is that the W.I. has changed (or perhaps I have) and could almost be described as 'modern'. It is no longer just jam and Jerusalem although I admit we do still sing it! Happy New Year! xx
DeleteHappy New Year to you too! I was glad to find your blog after your break. I have followed it for a while but seldom comment. My NY resolution - to comment more!
ReplyDeleteHi Tink, hoping to see more of you then! Happy New Year. xx
DeleteHappy New Year Rachel! I'm glad you're blogging again--I missed you when you stopped and thought of you often. I hate to see old blog friends disappear. Whatever our differences, I consider you a friend and wish for you a wonderful 2026! xx
ReplyDeleteHi Jennifer, me too, I think of you as my special and true blog friend for ever and always. Happy New Year for 2026. xxx
DeleteHappy New Year Rachel, may you have a happy and healthy year. I've not been good about leaving comments but I think of you often and appreciate your friendship. xxx
ReplyDeleteHi Bonnie, good to hear from you. May your year be better than all you have just been through. I think of you too and always look out for you. xxx
DeleteI wish you a Happy and healthy New Year. Let us hope this year is better for all of us.
ReplyDeleteThank you JayCee. A Happy New Year to you too and thank you for all your support here. xx
DeleteHappy New Year to you, Rachel!
ReplyDeleteLike Jennifer, I missed you when you stopped blogging and enquired about you with other bloggers, but got no reply from them; all the more was I happy to find you commenting on my blog again and thus leading me to this new blog of yours.
You have accomplished a lot and mastered challenges in 2025, and I‘m glad that your health is better and you are noticing the benefit of your regular exercises. The trip to Azerbaijan is certainly going to be a highlight of 2026.
Thank you Meike. I am glad you found me. I left clues around for people to pick up on if they wanted to and you were one of those who did. I look forward to 2026 for both of us and all the good things it will bring. xxx
DeleteHappy New Year Rachel! I am glad I found you again. I look forward to following your life journey and travel this year. Wishing you good health and happiness. x
ReplyDeleteI am glad you found me too Simone! I was not hiding away but believing that those who wanted to find me would. I am glad you are one of those. Looking forward to 2026 for both of us. xx
Delete