Sunday, 7 December 2025

Exercises in mind and body

Things that transcend politics. 

Basic humanity. List some things under that heading for yourself.  

There are fine people on both sides. 

Differences yes, total division, no.   (I was listening to a Democrat comedian today and he was saying that total division between Democrats and Republicans is wrong.  He mostly blamed Democrats for their attitude to Republicans like not speaking to them,  not wanting to share the same Thanksgiving table, not wanting to live in a neighbourhood of Republicans and told a story of a Democrat woman who moved to a Republican neighbourhood and found the Republicans were so helpful and nice she changed her views when they cleared the snow and helped her.  She couldn't believe it, she found they were normal individuals who were kind and warm and just like anybody else.  Surprise surprise, just like my post yesterday, here I am a real person just like anybody else indoors.   I wrote a poem along these lines about Britain in my dissertation collection.  The poem is called the Wreck of Britain where I put in a line about a farmer helping you with your car when you went off the road in the snow at 3am.   I have lent my collection to a friend and will see what her reaction is. 

I am currently using  You Tube to teach myself to get up from the floor.  It is quite scary when you realise that you have almost lost the ability to do it.  I can manage getting up off the floor if I have a chair or piece of furniture I can crawl to.  I have recently made sure that there is such a piece of furniture available in each room.  I am now trying to reach a level where I can get up if helpful leverage points are unavailable, like for instance if I was walking across a moor and fell and there was nobody around and nothing to grab on to. 

The ability to leap up off the ground disappears slowly and suddenly without knowing it you've lost it. 

I am gradually getting fitter, realising that old age needs me to be fitter in order to keep going both mentally and physically.  They feed into one another.   I watched a video today about life after 80 being much worse than life after 70 (and that is bad enough).  The two things that are most harmful to the 80 year old plus person is giving up walking and stress.  Stress is extremely harmful to health and our bodies don't cope with it very well, recovery being slower than when we were younger.  Loneliness and isolation is very bad for old people, they start to worry and things get out of proportion and then physical health goes down, recovery in all things like minor colds and viruses takes twice as long.  Giving up on things like walking, going outside, meeting people, are all detrimental to health.  I saw this happen to my mother.  I don't know whether I will succeed but I am certainly going to give it all I can.  I do have to push myself already so God knows what I will be like at 80, if I get there.  It is all very well to take each day as it comes but I now realise that the physical exercises I am doing do mean that I am looking beyond that to the days ahead and I think I am serious enough about it not to give them up. 


Edit:  I have now achieved getting up without a piece of furniture being available.   I have to practice it every other day.  All the other exercises I do daily. 

12 comments:

  1. I am not quite 70 - next year though - and am already struggling with the sort of problems you describe. My heart sinks when I see that the items I need in the supermarket are on the bottom shelf as I know I'll never get up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything went downhill at 70, it was like a health turning point. With hindsight it probably didn't help that I turned 70 during the Covid lockdowns. I am concentrating on mobility and leg strengthening exercises. I miss being able to squat down to the bottom shelf of library shelves. Every book that I (may) ever want always seems to be placed on the bottom shelf but I cant be certain because I cant get down that far to see it!

      Delete
  2. That is quite an achievement to be able to get up without furniture as an aid. I follow motivationaldoc on YouTube and have found his advice really useful in keeping healthy. An agile mind and body will make getting older so much easier. Did you ever watch Dr Jane Goodall the English primatologist and anthropologist? She died this year in her sleep aged 91. She lived a full and active life right up to the end. She was an Aries too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a pretty sight, me getting up without an aid, and it hurt. I tried it a second time and failed, which was even less pretty, left it a while and then tried it again and did it. I can see why the instruction is to practice every other day. I did see that Jane Goodall had died. It doesn't surprise me that she was an Aries. xx

      Delete
  3. I couldn't agree more with you on what you wrote in this post, Rachel; from the bit about basic humanity to the importance of working regularly at keeping one's mobility.
    With my Dad, I saw how he let himself go over the years. Again, the Covid lockdown sped things up for him because all physio and cognitive therapy stopped during that time, and as much as we all tried to motivate him into doing his exercises, he simply didn't do them, and that was that.
    The exercises I learned back in 2005 during my three weeks of rehab for my scoliosis are an integral part of my day-to-day life. Even just ten minutes three times a week are better than nothing, and I have so far not encountered any problem getting up from the floor (where I do those exercises) without using my hands, while O.K. (who at 58 is only a year oldre than I) can't do that.
    The "secret" is in keeping at it, not thinking "I've done enough now". Once again, our friend Weaver comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do 15 minutes per day and sometimes repeat whilst I am waiting for the train. A woman remarked to me the other day that she noticed me doing my exercises. I first started them three months ago when I recognised that if I am to be fit for my holiday next year then I needed to start an exercise plan now. I have an incentive to keep going. I am now learning a lot more about old age and the need to exercise both the body and the mind. Getting up off the floor unaided has bothered me for years and I find it quite a handicap that I can't just sit on the floor without having to think that I know I won't be able to get up without some form of help, either another human being or a piece of furniture. I aim to rectify that.

      Delete
  4. Hello Rachel,

    How wonderful to see you back in Blogland. We have been missing many of our old blog chums who, like us, have travelled off to Instagram. But, the written word draws us back to the blog and now we have reconnected here. Happy days!

    Yes, we agree with everything you say about keeping mobile and avoiding stress. For many years now we have not really done stress....life is far too short for that and we have been fortunate to have sidestepped any number of possible stressful situations. But, it is true that one wakes up one day and suddenly one feels old....well, older...We try to look on the bright side and concentrate on the bits that are not aching or hurting but sometimes one yearns for the days of leaping about with gay abandon [did they ever exist we now think].

    Common humanity binds us all. Now, if only we can get everyone to agree...world peace just might be a possibility. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome back. Stress sometimes catches out even the most strong of us when we think it could never be us.

      Common humanity binds us but in recent years there has been too much division in Britain, very much a divided country and not helped by social media where disagreements betweens friends that should have been over a drink in the pub and left there at closing time and forgotten aren't and appear now in black and white on social media platforrms to be ripped apart, and the author ripped apart, by strangers, to remain forever.

      Delete
  5. I think writing and reading blog posts help us with the loneliness Rachel. Exercises of body and mind is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joy of writing can be a relief to loneliness as you say and a way of reaching to others. Sometimes it also helps to step back for a while as I did recently and during that time I grew in strength, maybe because of all the other things going on in my life, and I feel like a different person who has come back. Exercise of the mind and body and keeping up is worth giving that daily effort to too. Thanks Dave.

      Delete
  6. Most people in my experience are a force for good

    ReplyDelete

Holiday 2027 Fixed

On Monday I was feeling the best I have felt for some time.  I had nothing planned for the day and considered the cinema but decided against...