Yesterday I went back to the Creative Arts session to contribute some more to the textile project we are undertaking with the Norwich School of Art (now called a university but I never have got used to calling it that). The squares are now finished, I contributed 3 embroidered squares, and these will be sewn together by the textile helpers, along with all the other squares, and presented back to us in due course for display. This project has now been running for 11 years so there are many finished blankets throughout the eastern area. I was briefly interviewed to say a few words about my squares, as were two other ladies, and these interviews are I understand to be archived in the project achive. I have already explained a little about the project in a previous post and how it is following in the footsteps of Lorina Bulwer the Great Yarmouth asylum ward girl who pleaded to be let out by sewing her words on a blanket in the late 1800s and which now look like a contemporary piece of artwork in the style of Tracey Emin.
It was a super afternoon with a big turn out and some who had not been to the first session coming along to contribute their squares and words. I kept mine simple with the emphasis on the importance of communication, talking to one another, and listening and smiles which were the things that I first noticed when I joined the group three years ago when I was an infrequent visitor at the time but always made to feel welcome. I now go to the meetings each month. When we start again in January we are having three sessions of singing. You may recall that I enjoyed the singing group a lot and also got to writing lyrics for a song which was later recorded and I was acknowledged on the recording.
We only meet once a month but I also see some of the group at other things I go to in my community where there is a lot of overlap of personnel and friendships.
Today it is a very grey December day after the sunshine of yesterday and I think I will be staying at home.
That seems to be a very worthwhile project and, clearly, something much enjoyed by all concerned. Will you be posting photographs of the finished work?
ReplyDeleteYes, I will photograph it when it has all been put together as a blanket with backing and filling. I am not sure when it will be returned to us. I hope we can find somewhere to donate it to to be used as a blanket rather than only kept for displays. As a group it is up to us to decide where it finally finishes up.
DeleteHello Rachel,
ReplyDeleteT
his does sound an amazing project to have really lasted the test of time. It will be wonderful to see the finished products and, of course, to hear some of the stories behind the squares and the individuals who made them. Perhaps you can show pictures of the completed displays.
And, what, of course, is equally important is the sense of community that has beuilt up over time between the participants. It is good that you maintain contact with some people and this can develop further with other shared interests. May you sing joyfully into 2026.
I hope to be able to photograph the finished product in due course. The sense of community in making the squares is very much part of the project and the bringing of people together and cannot be under-estimated. Since I stopped working some years ago I have discovered many wonderful groups in rural Norfolk as well as in Norwich itself of course.
DeleteWhile I don't remember having read about the embroidery project before, I think I do remember you having written about the singing and how much you enjoy it. In any case, both sounds great, creative ways to bring people together and strengthen the community which is so very important.
ReplyDeleteYour example also goes to show that regardless of income, age or living situation (single/family), nobody needs to be lonely - there are many initiatives and groups who reach out, and the main investment asked of each person is their time, not their money.
My Mum and I are looking forward to Sunday afternoon, when the annual singalong Advent concert is held in our town. It's become a much loved tradition for the two of us over the past years.
I wrote about it on 14 November which was probably before you came back to reading me.
DeleteYes, you are right about not needing to be alone (as opposed to feeling lonely because I do admit that sometimes I am lonely) and there are lots of things on offer many of which are without charge or ask for a payment of "what you can afford". This creative arts group used to be entirely free but since the change of government we are now asked for a small payment each month to cover the rise in employment costs as there are a number of full time staff. I am always on the look out for whats going. It is nice to have traditions too like your Advent concert. I was just about to look at the church website to see the date of the concerts here when I read your comment. Rachel
It would be great to see the finished blanket. Is there anywhere in particular you would like to see it being used? I just read about Lorina on line. It is so awful how people were treated for being 'lunatics'. Enjoy singing with the group in January. I sing every day in the shower. Have a good weekend Rachel. x
ReplyDeleteI am still puzzling about the best use for it. They told us that some were used in residential homes for young adults which seems a good place. I would like it to go where the users can read the squares. I am sure someone in the group will come up with a good idea. The singing sessions are always good fun and nothing better than a choir, even an impromptu one. Last time I recall singing solo, which I wrote about. Thank you Simone, and you have a good weekend too. The sun is shining here. xx
Delete