Friday, 30 January 2026

Film AI and Film

 Yesterday I went to see Mercy, a sci-fi movie set a little bit in the future where the courts are run by an AI judge and the accused is guilty until he can prove himself innocent and he has an hour to go through the evidence against him and discount it.  Via the AI judge all the evidence is available at her command via computer this includes film footage and connection with a cop who has an airborne method of transport and can go further with investigation on command of the accused. If he fails to prove his innocence in the hour then he is going to be eliminated, exterminated.   I was undecided about going to see it because it is not a genre that is my kind of movie.  However, I liked it a lot and it was full of twists and turns and edge-of-seat stuff.  Rebecca Ferguson was the AI judge and Chris Pratt the accused.  

Talking of AI, I went back in time last night and watched Bloomberg TV channel and the closing bell from Wall Street.  When I was broking I watched this every night.  I liked to be ahead of the game when London opened in the morning.   As it happened Microsoft, Sandisk and Apple all had annual results yesterday and there is this big thrusting race at who tops AI.  Apple figures were better than last time, Sandisk which I had totally forgotten about as I no longer buy memory sticks or memory cards for cameras is way out in front.  Microsoft gave the worst set of results and not in front of the AI race at the moment. 

I don't know what took me to Bloomberg last night, maybe I was getting a bit fed up with Everwood which I have been watching, family drama in Colorado, and turned over.  Anyway I also got to see the Bloomberg interview with the New York mayor Mamdani, I hope I have spelt that right, who managed to smoothly answer all the questions by sidestepping them or blaming somebody else.  Like the 10 deaths in the cold in New York were definitely not his fault, all calls were directed to 911 he said so was he blaming 911?, not sure,  and everything else was his predecessors fault.   He never directly answered any questions on any subject.  He reminded me of Obama with the persuasive, smooth-talking but without the lumpy jerks in delivery so he got a plausible 9 for delivery from me, content was sick and he got a 0. Good luck New Yorkers with your commie mayor.  I thought the interviewer was remarkably controlled and verging on AI.  Mandami got an easy ride. 

I may go and see the Bradley Cooper's Is This Thing On today.  It looks like it is going to be funny.  John Bishop is the connection as it is inspired by his life.  



6 comments:

  1. The world of brokering is a complete mystery to me - everything I "know" about it is what I've occasionally seen in films, which is of course always over-dramatised and probably nothing like reality.

    If the question came up in the pub quiz, name the current mayor of New York City, I'd be clueless... such is the extent of me keeping abreast with the news. I must admit I mostly limit myself to watching regional TV news, since (duh!) they concern our region, and then the 15 minutes of main news on ARD, our first national TV station.
    The mix of news often amazes me but it is somehow a mirror of what life is like - there is immense suffering for many people, tragedy and drama everywhere, and next they bring the footie results, and finish with the weather forecast.

    The AI film sounds interesting but not something I am actively going to look for, when/if it becomes available on one of the streaming services I have. My most recent watch, finished last night, was "Suspicion", a British 8-part thriller available on AppleTV. Some of it was brutal, but the overall story captured my interest, and I liked the acting. It's on wikipedia, if you want to know more:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspicion_(2022_TV_series)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re. your first paragraph, I think what you have seen of is probably very close to reality.

      The appointment of the new mayor of New York aroused quite a bit of interest recently, not just in New York.

      I was pleasantly surprised by Mercy, it was fast moving because the clock was ticking and the AI judge had to be persuaded that the man was innocent and to not execute him. It was a good movie for an escape to the cinema on a wet afternoon.

      I will read about Suspicion. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Mercy sounds like a film that I wouldn't usually seek out. But your comments make it intriguing. A plot with a different twist.
    It just might turn up at our summer cinema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I would be so gripped by it but it turned out to be quite a well constructed storyline with several unexpected twists.

      Delete
  3. Would Microsoft's performance have anything to do with more Epstein file releases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Q2 results were actually quite good but the AI race in software and the Microsoft Azure growth is what hangs over the reaction by investors. The drop probably gives a good buying opportunity. I don't know anything about Epstein and file release effecting Microsoft.

      Delete