Liz was from a Catholic family in the city and went to the same convent as me but as were 10 years apart in years our paths did not cross at that time. However, I did know her younger sister. Our paths were to cross again and the next time we met aside from my Saturday drawing classes was with Antonia who I wrote about yesterday.
This was to be the start of many trips for me to Morocco as Liz decided to take me along on her various trips: drumming, dancing and Saraha adventures and this is where I met her Moroccan friend Alal who I was later to travel with alone.
On my first trip to Morocco with Liz we went to search for land for Liz and then we went to the Fez Sacred Music Festival. I was the guest of Liz because she invited me to join her as she did not want to be entirely alone for the second and third weeks of a month long stay. Alal was driving her around looking at land although I was not with them the whole time. This part of the trip was fraught as far as Liz and Alal went and the search for land which Liz wanted to buy so that she could build a house did not go well and there were many arguments between them. It did not end well.
Back to the present, late last year I spotted an obituary in the local paper saying that Liz had passed away. I had no warning and was not aware that she was ill. The other day I looked at her 2024 letter to me received December 2024, which was her usual bright self including a poem and thoughts for the year.
Her sister wrote an obituary for the Guardian which was published in Other Lives and the local paper contained a one page spread on her life. Neither of these obituaries described the Liz that I knew and I wanted to scream out as I was reading them. It was clear that those of her family who lived miles away from her and who she rarely mentioned did not know the life of her that I knew. I wondered if they ever knew of her trips to Morocco. I concluded that possibly it was best if they didn't. The search for land was costly and the venture never came to fruition.
Liz was an animal lover and always had a dog as part of her life. When we visited Morocco the first time together she smuggled a suitcase full of veterinary medicines to take to a local vet who she had made arrangements to spend two days with helping in the clinic. She did not tell me beforehand because the carrying of the veterinary products into Morocco was not without risk and she thought it better I didn't know as we passed through the airport. I spent one day at the animal hospital with her but let her go for the second on her own. There were many dogs wandering around and I did not feel comfortable. She happily went without me and I happily stayed at the riad.
Liz did not marry but always had men around her and for her last years she had a partner, although she continued to live alone, who she met via the Guardian lonely hearts and they travelled together and were frequently together in the social scene locally. He oddly did not get a mention in the obituaries. Liz was an early entrant to on-line dating before it became as it is today and she had a very bad experience with a man who lured her to France under false pretences and she had to flee in the night with no car or way of getting home. She secretly arranged for a taxi to pick her up and so as not to be heard arriving at the house on the gravel she left on foot and fled up the road in the dark. She wrote up her experience as an article which was published in the Guardian. In spite of this experience she still tried out the lonely hearts columns and she did strike lucky. I think the experience she had had in France would have put me off.
I found out a few weeks ago that Liz's death had been very quick, a very aggressive cancer took her in a matter of weeks.
Another friend gone and another who had been significant to me during a period of 10 years in particular. Another reminder that I am getting old.




Liz sounds like quite the character, and she certainly enriched your life, just as I am sure you enriched hers.
ReplyDeleteIt must have come quite as a shock when you read her obituary with no warning that she had been ill.
In 2022, a friend of mine - only a few years older than I - died very suddenly all alone in his London flat. His American partner was trying to reach him on the phone for two days, and when she could get no answer, she rang the police and insisted they break down the door, which is when they found him dead. He'd had a rare illness that caused his breathing to stop almost without warning, and she as his partner had known of it, but we as his friends had not.
I learned a lot from Martin, and he was a good friend and great pub quiz team member. We still raise our glasses to him when we meet for the pub quiz.
As I just said to Linda, below, I think we were a pretty good balance and we did not hold each other back and were both happy to take risks. I was shocked to read of her death because a friend of mine had seen her and her partner at a quiz night and actually remarked to me later "your friend Liz was on good form". It was very shortly after this that I learned of her death I am glad to have known her and travelled with her.
DeleteLiz was an amazing character, very adventurous. Nice that you can write about the part of her life that you shared. Pity her family doesn't know the real Liz though.
ReplyDeletePerhaps it is just the way of obituaries but the reading of them made her sound far less of a radical than I found her to be. We would jump into a shared petit taxi in Marrakesh and just head off into the unknown. Fortunately Liz spoke pretty good French and was learning Arabic so that helped. We were a good balance. Liz did not share my liking for odd hammams and water treatments though!
DeleteMy goodness. What a woman and what a life. I hope that she continued to enjoy her life as much as possible right to the end.
ReplyDeleteI don't think she ever stopped enjoying life JayCee. She seemed to get the most out of everything and shared with people. She was one of the most generous people I ever met. She could be very stubborn but was always fun with it.
DeleteIt was sad that you had to find out by reading an obituary in the paper. I do remember the posts you did about traveling with Liz. It is somehow sadder when the person had a full and colourful life. x
ReplyDeleteShe was well known and it sent shock waves throughout. I don't think anybody knew. I don't do facebook which is the way people seem to find out these days. I still rely on the newspaper so probably that left me more 'isolated' in my shock.
DeleteAt least you have wonderful memories to savor! I hope that is a comfort to you….
ReplyDeleteYes that is so true Tink. I treasure those memories of our travels together.
Delete