Sunday, 18 January 2026

Some history of travel

 Towards the end of last year I lost some close friends which has effected me profoundly.  I was not of the mind to speak about it here at the time.  They were people I have met in the latter part of my life rather than the school friend/work colleagues/boy friends of the earlier part.   I will tell you about one here today. 

The first to go was Antonia who I met 26 years ago via a local newspaper article about a planned art trip to Venice.  The article gave her phone number (would that be the case today?  I think probably not) and indicated that she was looking for people to accompany her.  My partner, now ex-partner, was at the time in a mental hospital where he was to spend six months under-going treatment for his first serious mental breakdown. I had received advice that is often given to partners of mental health patients "not to let them take you down with them" as can easily happen.  So with this at the back of my mind and as a kind of back up that I was doing nothing wrong I rang the lady, who was a complete stranger to me,  and said I would like to go to Venice with her.  She had a calm, down to earth, matter-of-fact way and gave me the facts of the flight, hotel name and timings and left it to me to book and to let her know when the booking was complete and she would then mail me her itinerary and a list of art materials that she suggested I take.   She then hung up. 

Although the call was short and business-like I knew immediately that I was going to get on with her.  So I went ahead with the booking of the hotel and flight via the internet which was new to me at the time and I believe the first time I had made bookings in this way.  I got back to her and confirmed as she had requested and I then duly received her lists and meeting points via the post.  The trip was to take place very soon after these arrangements were made which was good because it gave me no time for pondering or possible regrets.  I cannot remember telling my partner but I clearly told him on one of my visits which I made daily after work.  I was beginning to feel very detached from him while he was in the mental hospital and in the hands of experienced practitioners who had while he was there taken him out of my hands.  

So on the day that came I drove to Stansted Airport and walked into the departures and arrivals hall and walked over to a small group and asked if they were Antonia's group for Venice.  There were eight people, females, and one male and Antonia.  She stepped forward and introduced herself.  I had one outfit with me for the week, a red top and flimsy trousers that I bought especially for the trip.   It was a matching voile set and I wore it each day.  I was travelling light.   It was August and Venice was going to be hot.  

Here are two photos of our group.  The group was accompanied by an art historian, Rodney, who was  to become a close friend of mine.  Rodney was an architect and had at the time of this trip just finished studying history of  art as a mature student at UEA, the same university I recently attended,  His course had included a six month residency in Venice so he was able to talk to us about the history of many of the churches.   He was informative, relaxed and fun.  He later went on to do a PhD on sacred buildings of the Middle East and I was to accompany him to some sites in Syria but this never happened because he fell ill following a fall from a skylight whilst working in his architectural practice and died. It was a very sad time.  (Rodney can be seen in the picture below, back view, talking to a few of the group).




 



 In the bottom picture you can see Antonia in the middle in the white vest top giving a demonstration to the group.   

Antonia died last year.  I did write about her a few times in my previous blog.  She was the lady I wrote about who developed cancer and decided not to have any treatment.  She was by now in her early 80s and she said that one session of chemotherapy knocked her for six, she collapsed in her kitchen when she got home and made a decision there and then to not go again.  She lived on in a normal life for another two years before passing early last year.   She introduced me to Venice and without seeing that newspaper article about her trip who knows, I might never have taken that one step to Venice which led to many more visits in the years to come.  I owed a great deal to her and for her solid, straightforward approach to all matters and for keeping my feet on the ground during a difficult time that I was going through.  That trip changed my life.  A couple of years later I left my job and went to art school to study fine art,  Rodney wrote my reference, I returned to Venice as a student myself on a student trip and a new chapter of my life had begun. 

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the death of your friends Rachel. I seem to remember you talking about Antonia in the past. I think we meet people for a reason. The trip must have been a wonderful experience for you. Venice would be really inspiring for me. I hope you get to meet more people to have shared experiences with. Mild day here today. The sun is trying to push through. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three deaths that have occurred in the last 12 months were people who I met later in life and who changed things for me. I agree that we meet people for a reason and things happen for a reason. The Venice trip was extremely important for me although it is difficult to put into words here. I am certainly meeting more people to have shared experiences with, it never stops.

      The sun is shining here. My brother just rang me and he is home and invited me round so I will be seeing him later. xx

      Delete
  2. Enjoy time at your brother's Rachel. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your travel to Venice seems an amazing story. Life was different and you could trust people back then. But it sounds as though it was all meant to be. Antonia appeared in your life just at the right time.
    You've experienced a lot in your life. You have a lot of great stories to tell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doors are always opening, we just have to see them and take the opportunities. I am sure it was the same for you Linda. xx

      Delete
  4. Venice - an inspiring place especially in the company of like minded travellers. There is a saying that people arrive in your life for a reason or a season. Both of these people were important for you but not long term companions. Sorry for the losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an end of an era and one that has to be faced as we get older I suppose.

      Delete
  5. Good on you! I didn't get to art history through world travel or romance. But I had worked in psychology for 20 years after leaving university and was due to receive paid long service leave. I went back to uni and started art history, thinking if it failed, I could go back to my old job.
    It succeeded :) Lecturing in history and art history was brilliant!
    Hels
    Art and Architecture, mainly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you have found me Hels. I think art history is a wonderful subject and although my fine art degree did not cover the history of art specifically it nurtured an interest for me which I have pursued ever since. I am glad art history succeeded for you in giving you a second career. Rachel

      Delete
  6. This was a beautiful tribute to Antonia, and also to Rodney.
    I very well understand that she did not want any treatment. Having witnessed at close quarters what cancer therapy can do to a person, when someone feels they rather not go through all that (again) but choose to face their as good as certain death, especially when they are at an age where realistically, not all that many years will be left anyway, I applaud this decision. My uncle did the same and followed my aunt within a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was 80 when diagnosed and the first session of chemotherapy she declared was worse than anything she had felt up to that point because prior to that she had felt nothing other than normal and it was unknown to her that she was ill. She collapsed in her kitchen, hit her head and lived alone. The doctors did not accept her decision very well and this made her feel more alone than she should have but she decided it was right for her and she had two more good years. She saw the alternative as treatment that would make her feel bad with no certainty of more years of life. Seeing her as a down to earth and organised individual her decision did not surprise me.

      Delete