Thursday, 8 January 2026

Marty Supreme

I go to the pictures as a form of escape from being home alone all day and everyday,  housework avoidance and a place where I like to see movies.  This may be obvious and you may be thinking "why is she being so dumb to think she has to say this?"  Well there is a reason.  I do not watch many movies at home.  I watch documentaries, dramas and Asian street food.  I do not like watching movies on the small screen and most of my favourite movies like Everything Everywhere All at Once are meant to be seen in the cinema.  They don't work at home on the tv set in the living room.   

Yesterday after I got over nearly losing my car on the black ice of the car park and damaging several other cars and moving very slowly to a different parking location completely before I could even think again about what  I was actually doing, i.e. going to see a film,  I did go and see a film and got over the black ice.  But it was deadly.

I went to see Marty Supreme.  This is what my first paragraph was all about, going to the movies to see a movie.  Do not bother to watch this film at home.  I wouldn't and will never watch it at home or see it again.   In fact, even if you are a Timothée Chalomet fanatic like me do not even bother to cry if you miss this movie.  Chalomet is brilliant, so is the vegan well-ness freak Gwyneth Paltrow, in fact all the acting is terrific.  The sound track has to be mentioned, you cannot write about this film and not mention the music.  It is also terrific. 

We are in 1950s New York but we start with  Forever Young 1980s Alphaville and we end with Everybody Wants to Rule the World 1980s Tears for Fears.  

Forget getting in a tizz because it might be a sports movie about ping pong.  Some people have reservations about sports movies.  In fact sports movies are really never about just sport.  Like Christy I went to see a few weeks ago was not about a female boxer but was really about a controlling relationship.  So, Marty Supreme is not really about ping pong.  It really isn't.  It is about a misfit character called Marty who wants to be successful but isn't.  He is a mixed up character who says all the wrong things and then will later come round and make amends for saying them.  He is a hustler, like we don't really have in Britain, a word I don't know much about until I looked it up, a wheeler dealer who is good at it.  Marty is one of those and good at it, a good shoe salesman.  I didn't know whether to like him or not.   

It is chaos and very noisy and that is not just the music.  The story has many many sub-stories and is not always easy to follow, especially the dog, and most of the stories leave you hanging and you never get to the end of them and if like me you like things to be cut and dried they aren't in this film.  The director is on his own and not with his brother who he used to direct with.  Josh Safdie on his own having a load of fun with this movie and spending lots of money on it, I gather.  I can't think why but it was high budget. 

And it is a bit too long too. 

So I had a nice afternoon out, I didn't wreck the car or anybody elses and I saw a fun movie that I didn't like all that much, which was extremely chaotic, noisy, too long, and really not worth seeing if I am honest.


6 comments:

  1. I'm not likely to see any of these movies you write about but I really like reading your reviews. In fact I wish I could see some and see how I felt and reread your review. That would be interesting.
    Sliding on ice is frightening. You have no control. I'm glad you avoided the worst scenario

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to be honest and say it as I see it. It would be interesting if you could do like you say, see it and then tell me what you thought. The ice rink car park was terrifying as I lost control of my car as I swung in the gate and almost slid into a parked row of cars. I decided that it was not safe to leave it there as people drive in and out all day to leave cars while they exercise dogs so I walked up the road, found another parking spot on a dry piece of land and retrieved my car and left it there instead.

      Delete
  2. I never go to the pictures these days. I enjoy reading your take on the films you see though. I also like documentaries and dramas like you do Rachel. I'm a non driver but can imagine how scary it must be to drive on black ice. I looked out of my bedroom window early yesterday morning and could see young men walking towards the station and they were slipping and sliding and finding it hard to stay upright. I waited until the afternoon to pop to the shops. I hope your brother is doing well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like reading my movie subjects Simone. My brother has been waiting for tests and I think he has had a scan this afternoon. I think he is ok and hopefully will be coming home before the weekend. Thank you. xx

      Delete
  3. It is interesting to compare your review with that of fellow blogger YP. I stick to my comment on his review, that it's not something I'd choose to watch for myself, and your review has confirmed that notion.

    From your comment to Simone I got the update on your brother, I was about to ask how he's doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may get a high viewing statistic in terms of numbers but those coming out of the cinemas now will shrug and say 'not the best movie by a long short'. Why the big reviewers say otherwise is beyond me. It is what it is. Thanks for thinking of my brother, he will be fine.

      Delete