Wednesday, 7 January 2026

Ice time and movies

 The temperature got down to -7 C overnight this week and I had to cope with keeping the house at a good temperature not to freeze pipes.  I made many references to the weather forecast during the evening being aware that wind could have significant consequences for potential freeze in the house roof. Fortunately the wind did not get up.  I built up a pretty good barrier of heat in the house from mid afternoon onwards, had nobody to discuss it with, built up the woodburner to give off heat for a good part of the night, turned off the central heating and went to bed.   I am still here.  The less said about it the better.  It is one fact of living alone that at times like this one misses being able to discuss such issues with another person.  

Yesterday I went for first massage of the year with the little Thai lady and she gave me a one hour bonus on top of hour I had booked as a Christmas present for loyalty to her business.  It was very welcome.  She wanted to do foot massage which I believe will help significantly with blood circulation.  

When I left the clinic to come home the temperature had risen and was now 1C and the sky was grey.  It made my drive back from the station considerably easier than my drive in had been with the roads solid, packed snow that had turned to ice.   The evening was also very pleasant in the house and less stressful without the worry of -7C overnight temperatures. 

In the evening I continued watching Mr Good an intriguing documentary about the Norwegian police and in particular of one police officer who was appointed as what is known as an informant handler and ended up being accused of drug trafficking and corruption and complicity with the informant.  The Norwegian legal system left me perplexed when a jury decision upon deliverance to the court can be overturned there and then by the judges if they don't like it.  This is what happened in the courtroom and there was no evidence that the jury had mis-applied the law. It seemed to be against the whole principle of trial by jury.   The trial was re-held on appeal and the police officer went to court a total of three times until, it seemed, that the judges got the decision they wanted.  It is in Norwegian with English sub-titles and takes a good deal of concentration.

Today I am off to see Marty Supreme starring Timothée Chalamet, one of my favourite actors.  Chalamet has been preparing for the part for several years to perfect his table-tennis skills by insisting on having a table tennis table provided at each of his previous movie locations for the past three years which I believe would be Dune 2, Wonka, and the Dylan movie.  Chalamet is in much demand.   The story is based on a real life character and is not exactly a true story but it is  loosely so.  On speaking to a friend of the real Marty it is said that the real Marty would have loved it.  So now all that awaits is for me to see the film later today.  


8 comments:

  1. Glad that the weather has turned a bit warmer - so much better for driving! The Norwegian court system sounds as though the esteemed Lammy would like it . Hope that your brother is getting better Rachel. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't he just! Starmer and his AG Richard Hermer too. We are governed by civil rights lawyers. My brother is still in hospital awaiting tests. I think in my mother's day he would be at home and probably never have gone to hospital but nothing to do with me...

      Delete
  2. Your - 7 was incredibly cold. Hard to imagine here just how cold that really is. Glad you survived. I've been reading about the extreme weather you're having.
    And glad to hear about your massage. I know you enjoy them and how much good they do you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may have been even lower in the night but I am not sure of exactly where it went down to. The deep tissue and the foot massage were certainly good for my blood circulation.

      Delete
  3. I’ll be interested to get your thoughts on Marty Supreme… I went to see Choral this week. It got fairly lukewarm reviews but I enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reviewed Choral on 7 November so look back if you would like to read it. I will write about Marty at some point.

      Delete
  4. We've had night temperatures as low as -9C, but thankfully, my central heating works well enough - also, my flat is sandwiched between the ground floor and the attic flats, so that I benefit from their heat as well as the insulation layer we've had added to the facade of the house in 2008.
    Your Thai lady is really appreciative of you as a customer as well as a person; she invited you for Christmas AND now gave you a bonus hour.
    I have not yet seen any film with Chalamet in it, but fellow blogger Yorkshire Pudding is full of praise about him. He has reviewed "Marty Supreme" on his blog this week and enjoyed it greatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our temperatures fell to -8 or -9 overnight that particular night. My house stands alone and is rather large to heat and difficult. My Thai lady has had a troubled life and her troubles unfortunately continue. She regards me as a friend and I have helped her in ways that I do not write about so this is her way of thanking me. She is also very sceptical of the British way of life where it is not the same as Thai families and what she is familiar with in caring for each other so she tries to help me too,

      Timothy Chalamet is a wonderful young actor and immensely talented. My favourite film of recent years is Call Me By Your Name which I have seen many times. In that he was only 22 (2017). Now Marty is a movie which I will write differently about to the writing of the man you mention.

      Delete