I didn't get to see the Norwegian film on Saturday owing to a points failure on the railway and after sitting in a stationary train for one hour and seeing the time slipping by and the film start time rapidly approaching I had to abandon the journey and go home Fortunately the train was halted in the station so many of us were allowed off the train and many made alternative arrangements to carry on the journey and were waiting for taxis to collect them as I left. I went home.
So today begins another day and I will try again. I have yet to check the live train situation this morning but will do so next. If the trains are running I will book a seat for the afternoon showing of the film. I had planned today to see Hamnet or Song Sung Blue with Hugh Jackman but these will have to wait and I will see how the week goes. Hamnet will be on for several weeks but Song Sung Blue not so long.
I had a quiet day yesterday, home alone, and the weather was very, very cold here. I found some fresh exercises yesterday and further information on the calf muscles and am concentrating on that area, often referred to as the second heart, vital for increasing blood flow to the lower limbs. I have written the exercises down but they are basically calf raises by raising the heel off the floor and standing on tip toe which I have been doing since I started in September, balance exercises, bicycling in the air laying on your back with 20 fast cycles in the air followed by 20 slow ones, repeat three times, squats, and backward walking. Backward walking is vital for knee strength, balance and cognitive function, would you believe. Backward walking needs to be in a safe area of course and with balance or grab areas if necessary. I set a chair here and there and keep well away from anything dangerous in the living room.
I finished off by getting some fresh air and went for a kebab and a newspaper late afternoon. Norwich won their cup game 5-1 which against a third division side is exactly what they should have done. I had no contact with the outside world apart from the nice guys in the kebab shop which was just enough to make me feel alive.
Well done to Iranians for rising against Khomeini. Long live freedom. Perhaps our government will take heed and learn some lessons about the dangers of religious fanatics and stop shutting us up.
It must have been a relief to be allowed off the train after sitting there for an hour, not moving. Similar things happen here with the trains all the time, but often trains stop somewhere along the way and not where people can get off and find alternative transportation.
ReplyDeleteYour quiet day sounds... quiet :-) It is good how you keep busy with your exercises and (I guess) working on a puzzle, watching TV, reading the paper.
Yes, well done Iranians. They risk life and limb when they participate in a demonstration or even just say something critical against the government to the wrong person or are overheard by someone who reports them. Hopefully, freedom will win eventually.
Yes, exactly. As a train user yourself you understand this fact that normally the train is stopped not in a station. I wondered if he had locked the doors but was also pleased to see that the driver had left them unlocked so passengers could alight.
DeleteYes, I started a new puzzle, you are right.
I am so pleased for the Iranians and hope that our leader will see sense.
I have been doing those calf raising exercises on and off and a couple other leg exercises holding onto a chair. I'm not quite up to lying on the floor yet.
ReplyDeleteThe walking backwards one was very interesting. When I walk there is a steep hill as soon as I get out of my gate. I sometimes walk part the way up backwards, with trekking poles. I'll make it a cert now, though I haven't been walking recently.
The benefits of walking backwards took me by surprise. It seems to be one of the most important exercises we can do. So many benefits.
DeleteI'm going to try the walking backwards too! I've been practising getting up from the floor just using my legs and not my arms. I'm doing this everyday. I do the standing on tiptoe when cleaning my teeth. I've been following the Iranian uprising. So many people have now been killed in the last few days by the regime. I wonder if or when Trump will intervene. I hope this country doesn't offer the Islamists refuge here but it wouldn't surprise me. Nothing surprises me anymore. It is grey here but quite mild. Wishing you a good day Rachel. x
ReplyDeleteI have just done my bicycling in the air, first time I have done it in the morning. I did walking backwards and calf exercises on tiptoe. Last night I rewatched the video on getting up as I felt I had stopped making any progress. I felt better about it just now when I pushed up. I do have to use hands/arms by pushing on the floor in front of me like a sprinter position before a race. It is called the Sprinter method by some. I am still persevering with the kneeling on heels but have way to go! Iran is something I will read about in the paper today. Hopefully it will be end of the Ayatollas and their religious fanaticism. Thanks, I am going to Hamnet today. xx
Delete