Tuesday, 20 January 2026

The doctor

The third death was just before Christmas although not entering the obituaries in the local paper until mid January. 

This one is a significant person to me but one I knew only very briefly but he made a very positive impact on me at a time when I was feeling very adrift.

This is the retired doctor who sat next to me in my philosophy class each week for two years and who I became close to and off-loaded to him about what had happened with my former partner.  I have written about it before.   He was a good listener and a good responder.   I won't bore you with it all but there was one very important conversation that stands out for me when he said I did not need to feel guilt about what had happened and I should not carry the burden of it.  This conversation ended with me in tears and a letting go of a lot of the tension I had been carrying for two years.  (This conversation took place outside the classroom in a car park after the class).

We remained friends at the philosophy class until Covid ended it abruptly in 2020.  We later swapped emails when he went to the Everest base camp, an adventure he had been planning for several years, and training for,  and I know that that all went well.  I emailed him when we had a new philosophy class three years ago but he never replied.  

The obituary in the local paper said that he died on the 5th December although the announcement was not made until mid January.  The wording was such that it puzzles me as no illness was mentioned and the announcement was very slow to appear in the paper.  No funeral was mentioned either.  I am sad because I had always thought I would see him again.  He was younger than me having retired early from the NHS.


10 comments:

  1. He seems to have been a gentleman; I can imagine he had been a good and caring doctor too. Although you sadly lost touch, it was obviously a significantly positive brief friendship that has had a lasting effect on your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a wicked sense of humour and was a caring man and lovely to talk to.

      Delete
  2. You've lost some friends that made an impact and enriched your life. They seem to have appeared when you needed them. Now you have the memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like we were saying here on Monday, sometimes people are meant to come into your life for a reason. I believe this was so with the doctor.

      Delete
  3. What you experienced with the retired doctor is proof of how even a relatively short friendship can be very meaningful. Time is not the (only) determining factor in how important someone is to us.
    It must have saddened you to learn of his death, and in such a puzzling manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have summed it up nicely in your first paragraph Meike. That is exactly how it is.

      I hope that one day there will be more for me to learn surrounding his death.

      Delete
  4. I remember you writing about him Rachel. Learning about the three deaths in a relatively short space of time must have been a shock to you. I really hope that you continue to make new friendships in the future. The people you befriended were all connected to expanding your knowledge in some way. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make friends wherever I go Simone so no fear of friends drying up. I have reached an age where a new phase of life is starting: being with more people in old age than with those of a young age! xx

      Delete
  5. Some people wash over you briefly for a time and are as important to one as breathing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sincerity shines through however brief the encounter in my experience.

      Delete