I had a good day yesterday with poets and poetry.
Last night I had the pleasure of seeing the French pair win the Ice Dance gold medal and a splendid and amazing skate it was. Words to describe it are difficult to do it justice. It was France, USA and Canada, one two and three, gold, silver and bronze. And all of them sublime. GB came 7th. Their program lacked the subliminal magic of the winning three. The medley of Loch Lomond was not something they could manage or cope with and even without a slight stumble they were nowhere near a medal. It would have taken a Russian pair of Gordeevas and Grinkovs to pull it off. Within seconds it was a failure, no speed, no finesse, and skill of choreography lacking in an over-egged programme that left this poor couple with a near impossible mountain to climb to pull it off. I thought the British number 2 pair skated better to a better programme. Names: Loch Lomond skaters Lila Fear and Lewis Gibson in tartan. No. 2 pair Phebe Bekker and James Hernandez skating to Romeo and Juliet very ably. Watch out Fear and Lewis, Bekker and Hernandez are very close.
Today more creativity for me in a singing and writing class this afternoon. Also expecting firewood delivery and oil heating switched off for a few days as delivery has turned out to be 10 days, never known this before, and hoping for mild weather for a bit longer.
I wish I had seen the ice skating. We were probably watching a quiz programme. Olympic skating is usually amazing.
ReplyDelete10 days waiting for an oil delivery in midwinter is outrageous. You could literally freeze in your climate. Lucky you have an alternative.
I don't know what the Greeks get in the way of Olympic coverage but to watch the whole event live I tuned into Discovery+ which streams Eurosport. I still have a little fuel and I am saving it in case we have a sudden cold spell of frost over the next few days. I have never had to wait more than 3 days for my heating oil before. A lesson learned.
DeleteIt is good you have been having a creative time Rachel. I missed the ice skating but heard that the Scottish couple hadn't done so well. I don't know if anyone could ever beat Torvill and Dean with their Ravel's Bolero and dramatic finish! Stay warm! x
ReplyDeleteI see the USA second place ones, the female, is now complaining about the judges. There has to be a gold, silver and bronze, that is the way of the game, an outright winner. Of course they were all close but that is how it is. Accept it and shut up is my message to the USA girl. Torvill and Dean changed figure skating for ever and they were wonderful. The Russians benefited from the pathway of Torvill and Dean and surpassed it in the late 1980s and 1990s.
DeleteI would have to stay up very late indeed to see the skating live, but I will be sure to look for it in The highlights program. Great excitement as as an Australian won a gold medal in the skiing - not much opportunity for practicing here although there is winter snow in Victoria..
ReplyDeleteI see that the Australian caused quite an upset in the moguls. Great to see things like this happening in the Olympics, that's what it is all about. Wonderful.
DeleteSinging and writing? That's two different classes, or are you all singing while writing? :-)
ReplyDeleteIn any case, a creative outlet makes such a difference to our overall wellbeing, doesn't it.
We sing and we also write the lyrics as we go. It is a kind of folk singing/creative class. Very enjoyable. Yes, singing together is very good for everybody.
DeleteThe leader of the group plays guitar and makes the music for us. We all write the lyrics together.
Delete