Saturday, 7 February 2026

Melania

 Yesterday the need to escape carried on.  I am having some fairly minor family troubles at the moment mainly concerning my brother who was ill at new year, or rather had the health scare in early January.  I won't say any more about it here but suffice to say I am sure it will blow over.  However, for the time being I am not seeing him.

So yesterday I escaped to the cinema again but much more planned than Thursday so my packed lunch was packed properly and I did not have to rush to the train, I went in good time. 

My chosen film was Melania which I thought was something I could immerse myself into in a light way and hopefully get something from it.  I was not wrong. 

I have to say that I enjoyed it very much and for anyone who has an inquisitive mind, likes to add to knowledge of the world around us and how people live who we see in the papers from afar this will not disappoint. 

Melania is a very elegant, hard-working lady and being the First Lady is no easy ride.  The documentary centres on the 20 days leading up to the 2025 inauguration of the President and the preparations.  Thrown in are lots of snippets and great music.  Melania reveals that her favourite music to listen to is Michael Jackson so there is plenty of Jackson and it suits the fast moving pace of her daily life. 

Melania narrates the entire documentary. 

I got to see Mar-A-Lago club which for me was of interest because one often hears it referred to in "the President flew off to Mar-A-Lago" but I have never really understood what it is.  So we had shots of that on the ground and from the air and Melania describing how much she gets from it.  

We have many scenes with Melania and her courture dress design team measuring up for the inauguration outfit and evening wear.  Her main designer spoke highly of the ease of working with Melania because of her background in modelling and her understanding of design from her mother who was a pattern maker and cutter and Melania is a no nonsense person in this respect and much admired by her team.

We saw Melania on the day of Jimmy Carter's funeral also mourning the lst anniversary of her mother's passing and Melania going to the cathedral at the end of a long day to light a candle for her mother and for a mass being discussed for her and the priest ending with a blessing of Melania. 

We saw the work behind the scenes on the inauguration day of when one team of movers move in to remove the out-going President's furniture and another wait on the side to bring in the new President's furniture.  I enjoy logistical stuff like this.  We saw the teams of men in and out with the furniture and the timing of it relates to the signing in of the new President and the removals out and in cannot commence until that precise moment. 

We did not see much of President Trump because the film is about Melania and her work but when we did see the President it was in casual, not planned moments.  He takes on a more mellow persona in such ordinary everyday life and looks to be well loved by his staff.    I felt sorry for him as he was clearly very tired in many situations of the preparation and he looked his age without make-up and preparedness for camera work.  Like many of us getting on in years days of multiple events are long and shattering for us.  He clearly cares and loves Melania.  Melania is no-nonsense in day to day work and does not have much time for stopping to talk to her husband as she is efficient and focussed. 

So I was very pleasantly surprised and, as I have already said, I enjoyed the film very much. 

I came out of the cinema and found a message from my solicitor on my phone asking me to ring him which sent shivers down my spine because I had already experienced the family problems this week and my mind in a split second went into overdrive thinking all sorts of things which sent my heart pounding.  It turned out to be nothing more than the solicitor doing an end-of-year check that all things I had discussed last year were now finished.  I wanted to laugh at myself for my moment of fear and panic but in the end the damage was done and as I walked to the train my heart was still pounding and all my strength had been sapped.  The call had unintentionally spoiled my afternoon.  When I got home I laid down for an hour before I could do anything.   I later pulled myself together and got my tea and settled for the evening. I watched the story of a nasty man who fled American authorities by coming to Scotland and took on a fake identity.  The Scottish police authorities. prison service and judiciary did a splendid  job in getting him back to America to face trial.   It is Predator on Trial and is on Prime and well worth watching.  He was called Nicholas Rossi and a rapist and serial liar amongst many other things. 


10 comments:

  1. The film sounds quite enjoyable. She is beautiful and glamorous like the film stars of old were. I am sorry you're having family problems at the moment. When there is unrest in the family it can take its toll on your health so be especially kind to yourself Rachel. Are you up to anything today? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The documentary was very informative and I learned a lot. Melania is a very elegant and poised woman in her own right. When I saw the solicitor's message asking me to phone as soon as I got the message I became instantly worried and imagining all kinds of things. Even though it turned out to be a harmless call the damage was done. I am meeting my friend for a chat who just lost her husband. xx

      Delete
    2. Have a nice time with your friend. x

      Delete
    3. Thank you Simone. We had a lovely chat.x

      Delete
  2. Its very interesting to read your post on Melania. I suppose that will pop up here one day. When it came out half the reviews were terribly negative saying she was completely out of touch with the reality of the lives of most American people who would not be interested in the film at all. Not to mention that it got a big hit for coming out at the time of all the ICE riots. The other half were fascinated by her life and style.
    That would be me. I would definitely like to see the life of this First Lady.
    I hope you have a good day today and enjoy your friends company without any upsets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ordinary man-on-the-street critic like me enjoyed it and took it for what it was. The professional film critics took the opposing view which goes without saying and is best left at that. I learned things that I have not seen before and admired her for her poise and good humour throughout. It was not a political story, it was the story of a First Lady and her work in a snapshot of time.

      My lunch with my friend is just what the doctor order for both of us. It will be fun together for us, her recovering from the death of her husband and in need of diversion and me needing to chat to a friend.

      Delete
  3. I’m glad you enjoyed the film and I hope everything works out well regarding the family tension. Here in Western Australia we are waiting for a cyclone to arrive..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you aren't in the eye of the cyclone.

      Delete
  4. Glimpses behind the scenes, such as what you describe about the logistics of moving the leaving president‘s furniture out and the new one‘s in, are very interesting.

    Sorry to read that your otherwise pleasant afternoon was spoiled by the solicitor‘s message, even if it turned out alright. Such things can really sap our energy. When my phone rings at an unexpected time, my first thought is always my Mum. And when my phone rings unexpectedly and the caller‘s number is from the UK, it is my mother-in-law I think of - mostly only to find out that it is some completely unrelated call center message. But my heart starts pounding just like you have described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only my solicitor had said a little more in his email message instead of spooking me and telling me that I had to ring before the end of the day! I jumped to the conclusion that it was a family matter as he is also our family solicitor.

      The film was interesting and a short period of Melania's life. She showed warmth and passion for her position. She demonstrated skill at design for the inauguration celebrations way beyond what I expected her involvement would be. We also see her as a mother and a wife and a genuine worry about security and safety. And further on we see her missing her mother and being in church with the priest. I took it for what it was in an objective vision of life that I will never be part of but was happy to be a fly on the wall.

      Delete