Wednesday, 4 February 2026

What I did yesterday

Today I have a long hair appointment which will take the afternoon.  It is colour day.   I look forward to seeing Hannah and catching up on news.   

Yesterday after sorting out some business on the phone to my satisfaction  I went to Diss and did a little bit of shopping in Morrisons as once again I needed soya milk.  As I eat porridge every morning  I get through a lot of soya milk.    There was a method here in that I wanted to buy my newspapers and then go down to Bressingham to buy a jigsaw puzzle, my treat to myself having exhausted the charity shops around here, and have a cup of tea and sit and read the papers.   I had a quick walk through the garden centre shop straight to the end where the jigsaws are, selected two because if I come for one I might has well have two because I will be craving for a second when the first is finished, and then had my tea and scone sitting outside in the covered bit which has nice comfy seats and fresh air.  The temperature was only 3 degrees but two years of Covid with my brother and his wife got me used to sitting outside in all weathers - you may remember that SIL refused to have anybody in the house for two years so it was that or nothing.  I now like sitting outside.  The woman serving said she was a bit surprised about me opting for an outdoor table but she said no problem to bring the tray out when the time came.   A poor girl came out shivering with my tray 15 minutes later in a short sleeved blouse.  She didn't seem inclined to hang about, can't say I blame her.   The service was the usual, no organisation and slow but I was not in a hurry.  I mean, why does a scone and tea take 15 minutes to assemble?  The garden centre was not busy and nor was the café.

So I sat and read the newspapers, ate my scone and jam and drank my tea and it was all very pleasant. I brought the remainder of the jam home with me as I didn't use it all for the scone.   I got home at just after midday and immediately set into tidying the garage to make a space for the ride-on when it comes.  My garage is not one of those filled with rubbish but it did need some things taken off the floor and stacked neatly, and sweeping so that took an hour.  A nice space was made next to the logs for the machine and out of the way of my car.

Indoors I decided to tidy the office area where I do the jigsaws because the table had got a bit untidy since the valuer visited when I moved a few things in there out of the breakfast room.  I tidied and decided which of the two jigsaws I was going to do first and then spotted my blood pressure tester so stopped to take my blood pressure.   I was not sure where it would be after the garage tidying.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was a comfortable 127 over 75 and the exercise regime of four months is paying off.  My exercise programme is to help lower my blood pressure naturally without pills.   I used to struggle to get below 140 but those days are gone and the doctors were satisfied with the results when I was there in October and did a two week chart for them. It is even more improved now. 

I then sorted the edge bits of the puzzle selected, put them together and it was getting dark so I shut the curtains, lit the fire, put the electric blanket on low ready for bedtime and settled down for the evening.  I am watching The Killing Kind on Netflix, a 6 part drama about a barrister and a stalker.  I wasn't sure about watching but soon got into it and watched 4 episodes with two more to go tonight.  

Well that was yesterday, a happy busy day. 

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice relaxing day. Thanks for letting us know about the Netflix drama. I think it is something I would enjoy. Good news about your blood pressure and your exercises paying off. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy The Killing Kind, it is a well woven story. Yes, it is good news about my blood pressure now being rectified. If I had taken the pills that were slammed at me by a doctor one afternoon without consultation and left at the front desk (along with a prescription for statins) because a nurse said my blood pressure was high (three years ago) I would probably still be on them believing I needed them and the doctor telling me they were working. The very thought of that afternoon still upsets me. Thanks for the comment Simone . xx

      Delete
  2. I love jigsaws and often work on one while listening to an audiobook ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you another jigsaw fan. When I had a tapedeck in the car I used to listen to audiobooks. Tapedecks are no longer standard so I don't listen to audiobooks anymore!

      Delete
  3. What a nice day you had yesterday. I very much enjoyed hearing about it. How good it is to hear of your success with lowering you blood pressure without the use of pills. Your exercising and healthy living is certainly paying off. Enjoy those puzzles! xx




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good day all around! I know I have said this before when you mentioned you went out to have a hot drink and read, or worked on an assignment, how much I like the idea of you sitting somewhere comfortably, perfectly at ease with yourself, enjoying the tea or coffee and maybe something to eat.

      While I don't mind walking when it is cold, I would not want to sit anywhere outside at only 3C or colder. Maybe wrapped in a warm blanket I could stand it for a little while :-)

      Do you make the rounds of the charity shops near you for new puzzles every now and then?

      Delete
    2. Hi Bonnie, thanks for coming to comment today, I have been wondering about you and how you are. You will see what I said to Simone re. blood pressure, and I am pleased with myself for lowering it with care and attention myself. I will be doing an hour on the puzzle later this morning. xx

      Delete
  4. Sorry, my comment was not meant as a reply to Bonnie, but a comment on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok Meike, these things happen and I don't mind and Bonnie won't mind either. I will answer here for the sake of neatness.

      I certainly enjoy sitting outside if I am dressed properly and out of the wind which was the case yesterday. I was sheltered by the outdoor seating arrangement which had an overhead canopy. The feel of temperature is a strange phenomenon in that yesterday it was 6 degrees and yet it felt colder to me than the previous day's 3 degrees. I am at ease with my own company although I like lunches with friends too but I will happily seat for an hour reading or writing in a café as I do frequently in the cinema café.

      My main source of jigsaws puzzles is the local charity shops but at the moment I cannot find a decent Ravensburger puzzle in any of them. I think they are popular with many people. I treat myself to a new one every now and then and pass them on to my brother who passes them on again.

      Delete
  5. Your post is a warm and enjoyable read. I'm having my hair cut and coloured tomorrow. I usually colour it myself so will be expecting something better. An all over colour. Not blond in front and yellow on the back. I'm also expecting to hear all the islands gossip
    It's interesting to hear your blood pressure has come down with your exercise programme. That's good news for you. We'll done. I've never had high blood pressure. My daily walks help to keep it even I'm sure. I need that hour all by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My former partner was on blood pressure tablets for over 30 years and not once was it suggested he could lower it with exercise and dietary changes. Nor was I given that option. it was just having the tablets thrust upon me after one bad reading in the surgery. I am so glad I declined them and got myself over it.

      Delete