Thursday, 5 February 2026

Mandelson

 I was going to do a post on Peter Mandelson but really this morning I can't be bothered.  However this is a little snippet that I wish to pass on about him which says probably not very much except his heritage is that of Labour.  

I will leave you with a couple of facts that are of interest to me.  They are probably not of interest to anybody else.

Mandelson is the grandson of Herbert Morrison, Labour MP and member of the government war cabinet during the war and government minister post war years.  He was not thought suitable to be selected as leader of the Labour Party because of his volatile and argumentative nature at the time, especially argumentative with Nye Bevan,  and so Attlee was chosen as the preferred leader and later PM thought to be a more stable and suitable person to lead the Labour Party.   Morrison was a member of Attlee's cabinet. 

Morrison had an affair with married MP Ellen Wilkinson, cabinet minister and trade unionist, inspired by Russians and one time member of the Communist Party.  She died in somewhat mysterious circumstances after an overdose of barbiturates but death was given as accidental.  She was at the time Minister of Education. 

Ellen Wilkinson is the chosen picture on the wall behind Rachel Reeves in her office after she removed that of Nigel Lawson.  

That's all but I remember picking this up from Attlee's biography a few years back and the figure of Herbert Morrison interested me.  Now his grandson is of much interest to the British public.  And of course the Blair's Britain that I talk about is the Mandelson Britain because Blair looked up to Mandelson and thought the sun shone out of him and would do nothing without him.  New Labour was Mandelson.  I wonder what Blair's take is now on his great and trusted friend.  

So I have written a little about Mandelson after all. 

2 comments:

  1. I found this interesting Rachel. You are very good at piecing puzzles together metaphorically or otherwise! When members of the government are quizzed by the press at conferences, I would now like someone of the press to shout out 'hey Rachel! What is the significance of the picture of Ellen Wilkinson in your office?' I bet she doesn't even know who she is and just chose the picture out of a pile of paintings tucked away in a room! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simone, and thank you for the comment. I would love to say you are right about Rachel Reeves, however, she knew who she was putting on her wall, the commie, trade unionist, Jarrow march organiser Ellen Wilkinson. It struck me funny yesterday when I was writing this that Rachel Reeves after one year in office has done nothing but destroy jobs for the workers with firms folding and jobs disappearing.

      Delete