Saturday, 28 March 2026

Bring Me The Horizon and I will escape

 Yesterday I felt in need of a complete "getting away from it all".  One or two family things keep coming up where little sister has to act like a big sister and keep the boys happy.  The latest is that our long term accountant may be folding and it causes a bit of stress in that three of us have our tax returns prepared there and a relationship of some years has ticked along nicely.  When you reach your 80s the last thing you want is upheaval of this nature, finding a new accountant etc. etc.  I have had alarming phone calls from two brothers and I have had to reassure that so far we don't know if the man is giving up for sure and secondly, even if he does, we will find somebody else.  There are any number of people offering Tax Return services.  Even my former lawn-cutting brother who has refused to speak to me since January rang me.  So one good thing is that at least we have picked up with each other again and bigger problems have overridden the smaller one of January.

So yesterday I thought a day off was in order.  I went to see Bring Me The Horizon Live in Sao Paulo, at the cinema.  This is a rock band and I was the only person booked to see them.  The whole screening to myself.  That for a start is a joy because I can do what I like, make a noise, scream, gesture, whatever I want.   (A woman came in after I had taken my seat and I spoke to her when she was fussing about a seat number very close to me and assuming she had come in and just bought her ticket I suggested she could more or less sit where she liked because as far as I was aware I was the only booking (until she came in of course).  She didn't answer this but said she could barely walk (this was truly obvious and her weight prevented her climbing the stairs easily) and she said that there were four in her group and they would be sitting two in front and two behind each other.  This led me to believe she hasn't been to the cinema in a while because now you cannot see the row in front of you because of the de luxe seating.   Anyway, the others arrived and I moved because in an empty auditorium there is no point in all sitting on top of each other.  They never paid any attention to me whatsoever nor smiled or nodded and apart from my brief words with the woman I may as well have not existed.   However I had plenty of room to move and move I did.  

The trailers went by and the film of the Concert started.  It was wild from the get-go.  All of a sudden there was a big kerfuffle as first the man stood up and shouted at the people he was with in the row in front of him.  Clearly they were in the wrong screening.  Still they paid no attention to the fact that I was there, made lots of noise, stood in front of the screen, talked loudly and then practically had to carry the big fat woman from her seat to the steps and then lead her down, only a short bit thankfully.  It was annoying the noise they made and the standing and talking loudly but they went.   (I was imagining them arriving wherever they wanted to be and upsetting lots of other people in another screening after a film had started but that is no doubt another story).

Anyway back to Bring Me The Horizon.  It was amazing and all adjectives cannot begin to cover how this concert was for me.  I escaped everyday life and I was totally immersed.  I wasn't there in Sao Paulo but I felt like I was.  The music was great and the visuals superb and as much a study of audience participation as well as music.  I thought of Dave and must tell him about this.  Some audience were saying how Bring Me The Horizon had saved them through grief and tragedy and taken them through it and I could see that which made me think of Dave.   I was totally blown away.  (How much we have moved on since live performances of bands in the 1970s when I was a regular gig goer.)   There were 50,000 people in the stadium and they all knew the words to the songs.  The lead of the group was amazing and kept it all together.  I think the young in this way are so great and would I rather see the young than Mick Jagger?  Yes.  It was the night for young people and I was happily taken away with them.  I even considered how important tattoos are to them all and felt not one iota of criticism for them.  It is how it is and it exuded love and belonging.   

Thank you to Bring Me The Horizon and thank you for making a film of the concert in such an amazing way and thank you to Odeon for showing it yesterday.  If I could go again I would but I have a feeling that there will not be another showing for me to see. 

I got my escape and a smile on my face that still hasn't gone away. 

This beat Project Hail Mary for me  by a million miles.  I am afraid that as much as everybody is raving about it, it did nothing for me.  I love Ryan Gosling but sorry, I hated the film.  I was thinking I might try it again but after Bring Me The Horizon I don't think I will bother. 


8 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, I am glad you had such a great time.Being able to let something 'Wash over' you is very therapeutic ,I think.
    Say hi to Dave for me, when you speak to him, If you will, I often think of him and wonder how he is.
    Your brothers are lucky they have you to sort things out for them.
    Have a good weekend
    kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. I only have a contact with Dave via his blog so will leave a note there. I think of him often too. I know of his love for music, especially prog rock. Hope you have a good weekend too. It is extremely cold here still and has just been hailing. xx

      Delete
  2. It is a long time since I have been able to properly enjoy listening to music (unable to hear certain sound frequencies) so I envy you your pleasure at the film.
    I hope the accountancy issues are resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JayCee. A bit of positive thinking always helps in situations where it seems like problems are arising. I am sure I can resolve it for me and my brothers and will find a new Tax consultant for us if necessary. I am sorry your hearing problems prevent proper listening; I cannot imagine how it must be. xx

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a genuinely good time for you and also much needed. Yay! I can feel (through your writing) how much of a tonic this was for you. And having the theater all to yourself?! YES PLEASE! That sounds honestly like the best part. (After the early disrupters, of course).

    I've been invited to go with friends to see films a few times lately, but I normally turn them down. I have a real issue with the volume--can't stand loud music, dialogue, etc. and our local theaters are just simply far too loud for me. And again, the people..! :)

    Anyway, happy weekend Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. Yes it was a wonderful afternoon out and I was able to forget everything else. I like a screening all to myself! I am fortunate in that I am able to go to the cinema in the afternoons and there are never lots of people around, except in school holidays which I avoid. I like going on my own and I love loud music and noise! I am often asked to go with friends but I turn them down. I like it as an escape and if I were to go with friends that part of it would be lost for me. Rachel xx

      Delete
  4. Your escape to the cinema was great - having the place to yourself must have felt like sheer luxury!

    I have never heard of the band and have never been to a screening of a concert, live or otherwise, but I know that for instance the Last Night of The Proms is very popular, as are some operas brought to cinemas via live streaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Meike. I have been to several screenings of live concerts and they are a wonderful experience. They are events that I would otherwise not see. I also like to go to National Theatre play screenings too if the play appeals to me. Some do not. Having a screening to myself is not unusual in the afternoons if I go to a less popular afternoon showing like a concert or a Bollywood movie, for instance. Daytime audiences tend to be retirees and these kind of events/movies do not appeal to many in that category. The cinema I go to has 14 screens so there is always something for everybody, well almost. Rachel xx

      Delete