We had minus temperatures in the night and a sharp frost so my bedroom was cold as I like to have a window open. Added to that the cats have started to come up to sleep with me on the bed. Now I like a single bed and that is how I like it. However, two cats on a single bed with me is not so good even though they know they are only allowed to sleep at the foot of the bed out of the way as far as is possible. So that didn't help and eventually I put them off the bed but they hung around, didn't go far, one to the bathroom and one to another bedroom with no doors in between. The bathroom one made a couple of attempts to come back on the bed. I was cold so I shut the window. Then I put socks on. I did all the things I do to get to sleep but it just would not come.
I have nights like that. I did the alphabet backwards, prayers, and breathing. Nothing worked. I wasn't worrying about anything, sleep just wouldn't come.
So today I am wiped out. I had my porridge for breakfast although I was tempted not to and to just flop out in a chair with a cup of tea and a biscuit but I knew that would be the start of the slippery slope to bad habits again so I put the porridge on, had my cup of tomato juice, my linseeds, and then the porridge was done and then I flopped out. I think it was only just after 7am. I have managed to light the fire and fill the dishwasher. The house was so cold. I am too out of it to put the Karcher strimmer together although I have charged the battery. I did that yesterday. The instructions for fixing it all up are awful, I looked yesterday and it was to be my job today but that is out of the question.
I listened to Simon King (Si of Hairy Bikers) on Desert Island Discs. He was great but I didn't particularly like his choice of discs apart from the Chieftains. I was a big Irish music fan at one time and went to see the Chieftains live at Great Yarmouth. My mother asked who I was going to see and I said The Chieftains. She was horrified. I went alone because I didn't have anybody to go with. Parked my Mini outside the Wellington Pier and loved every minute of the music. I also liked the Bothy Band. I didn't tell mum when I went to see them, I decided it was best to keep it to myself. In the 1980s I went out with an Irish musician who played the fiddle. I loved him but I don't really know what happened; he used to play the fiddle in the subway and gets loads of money from people walking into work in the mornings. They used to throw him pound coins and he played for an hour everyday and got a enough to live on for a week doing that. Then he just sort of disappeared. I enjoyed those days. I went out with several different men in the 1980s, worked in pubs and did all sorts even though midway through I started work training to be a stockbroker when I wrote to a new stockbroking office opening. I was working full time in a pub at the time but I thought I had better get a more decent job so that was how I ended up stockbroking. I wrote them a letter and asked if they needed any help and they rang me immediately and said can you start tomorrow. I started off freelance doing the filing. Then I got to answer the phone then they said I could train. At that point I became an employee. I kept a pub job all the time though but didn't tell them. Then when I went to London for a bit of training I had to give it up. I sometimes stayed over in London in a hostel, my choice, I preferred it that way rather than a hotel, and other times I used to commute but Norwich to London is a long daily commute. Sometimes I used to drive to Stansted and park there when you could park all day for £3 right outside the terminal when Stansted was more like a coach station than an airport. I could get the train into central London from there for less than a tenner. All those days have gone now. I left my car in the short stay at Stansted a few years ago and when I got back they wanted £90 for the week.
Then I finished training and exams and didn't have to go to London anymore.
A bad night made for an interesting blog. I know the feeling, trying to relax and sleep but sometimes it just doesn't happen.
ReplyDeleteI hope the strimmer instructions will be clearer tomorrow.
Clock changes are annoying. I liked this morning, getting up at 8 and knowing it was really 7. I felt pleased with myself for getting up so early, getting things done. But a longer evening is going to take a bit of getting used. I rather liked the routine of lighting the fire around 5 and settling down for an evening of TV or reading, or whatever. I shall have to change my routine
When sleep eludes you it is not nice. I am glad we have changed the clocks but my internal clock will take a week or two to get used to waking up at the proper time! I read your post this morning and can sympathise with the feelings you describe. And reading Cro's blog this morning I am reminded once more that NOT watching the news is probably a good thing! How depressing the news seems to be at every dimension. Rachel xx
DeleteI had a night like that on Friday. Just could not sleep. I lay on my back looking up through the skylight at the stars above me. Around 3 a.m. I saw the orange/red blinking light of an aircraft slowly moving across the sky from north west to south east so I lay there for a while wondering where it was headed. Still didn't help me sleep though!
ReplyDeleteNot sleeping is horrible isn't it? Fortunately last night I was back to normal. Rachel xx
DeleteI hope you get a better night sleep tonight Rachel. I can pictures your cats skulking off to other places and then trying to sneak in again. I would love to know more about the musician boyfriend. Your pub work and ending up stockbroking is quite a leap! If you ever wrote a book about your life Rachel I would buy it. x
ReplyDeleteIf I wrote a book it would not be a bestseller if the blog is anything to go by Simone! I slept well last night and feel back to normal this morning. The full-time pub job was only ever a fill in but I always had evening pub jobs. People seem to think that being hard up is a new thing but all my working life I have known people to have two jobs and I did. It was not unusual and top-ups to a wage did not come from welfare. Thank you Simone and have a good day. Rachel xx
DeleteThank you for this interesting read about the background on how you became trained in stockbroking!
ReplyDeleteI hope you slept better after that sleepless night. The cold probably didn't help (I can't sleep when I'm not comfortable temperature-wise, and the older I get, the less tolerant my body has become when it's not within the comfortable range of not too warm and not too cold).
Good that in spite of your tiredness you still stuck to the healthy breakfast option!
I slept well last night and feel better this morning. I agree that the cold temperature in my bedroom probably didn't help and also the two cats wanting to be on the bed disturbed me. I am glad you enjoyed the read about my background to joining the stockbroking company. I think I should also say that the time when I was freelance with them lasted 6 months after which they took me on to their books as an employee of the firm. Rachel
Delete