You may have noticed that when I said I was reading the Philosophy of Religion in bed this was because it is one of the only books I have left on my shelves.
I have been slowly but surely relieving myself of my book collection and it has been much easier than I thought it would be.
The reason I started this exercise is because I will eventually move into a smaller property, most likely to be an apartment, and I do not wish to have a lot of belongings left by that stage and I do not wish to be heaving a lot of heavy books with me. I need to start moving items out and not leave it until the time comes when I move and have it all to do in a hurry.
I used to love my book collection as much as anybody else loves books and I kept everything but about 20 years ago I stopped keeping fiction and off-loaded all my fiction collection, almost entirely paperbacks, so that was a good start to the current clearance.
(I continue to read fiction of course but ever since then I have had a policy of handing paperbacks straight on to charity shops. So there is no fiction to be dealt with in this cull).
The two other collections I had were maps and art books. The maps went first, about 5 years ago in fact. I was clinging on to these and the first step was to sort them and where I had two or three maps of the same country I reduced to only one. This was much easier than I thought and I bagged them up for the charity shops. It was so easy and a realisation that I really never touch the maps at all and if I want to check a location I Google it so I happily took the next step and admitted to myself that apart from looking in the atlas occasionally I really don't miss the maps at all and so I did another cull. I just kept the city maps. And then the final step I parted with those as well. The only maps I have left are street maps of Norwich, Great Yarmouth and London. All the rest have gone and I truly do not miss them. I still have my father's school atlas, my school atlas and a paperback atlas I bought quite recently for up to date borders.
Now the major step of my art books came along. They are the catalogues of shows I have been to in London and mostly published by the Tate Publishing Company or Thames and Hudson. I started with parting with just three to see how it felt. I felt nothing. This is how they originated: I would visit a show, buy the catalogue, read it on the train on the way home, file on the shelf. Quite honestly I haven't looked at them for years. So three went. Then another three and so on and so forth. I set a kind of target to deal with a minimum of three each week.
I have had to go further afield with the deliveries to charity shops because charity shops have difficulty with reference books, they don't want to be over-loaded with them. One shop manager was removing reference books from the shelves when I went in and she said they have difficulty shifting books and reference the most.
I looked up the values of some of the catalogues but none of them are worth much, nowhere near what I thought they might be and anyway it is not about making money, and there is really no rarity in any of them. They are not out of print and quite frankly nobody really wants them. However, I persevered with local exit points like the church book stall for those books not containing obscenities, and the village as well as the charity shops.
My taste in art has changed of late too and I do not feel drawn to contemporary art as I did when I was studying art 30 years ago so it is not the horror that I thought it might be parting with my books.
I do still have a small collection of poetry books that I acquired last year when doing my Masters. I am not quite ready to part with them yet but I am sure I can do so quite easily when the time comes. The internet means I am never without a source of reference in any case.
When I see the empty shelves I feel happy about a job well done and another load off my mind.
A post I can relate to. I have been giving my books to the book Exchange downtown. The first to go were the non fiction. Like you I read the book and pass it on. My children aren't going to be at all interested in my books. I've given away my knitting and history books and most tourist guides. I kept the latter for visitors but they all prefer to Google.
ReplyDeleteI have a few shelves of books on NZ and Greece. They're books I've enjoyed and read several times but they'll have to slowly go as well.
Tastes change. New interests take over. I don't read actual books as much as I used to but I still love a good English whodunnit
I too love those empty shelves.
Tastes certainly change. I would never have predicted that I now find a lot of contemporary art not to my taste. I suppose it has a lot to do with my studies at the time that I was required to connect with contemporary artists in order to pass my studies. I remember a tutor I was friendly with took me to one side and said I had to connect with it or I would fail. From the 1990s onwards I embraced it! Now I feel differently but I suppose I did learn a lot about about contemporary art. I am expecting some shock from readers that I have found it so easy to part with my books. I am grateful to you to learn that I am not alone in finding it is not so difficult.
DeleteWhen we moved house, 4 years ago now, we cleared out a huge number of books, mainly gardening and reference books. Since then P has gradually been whittling down his collection of WWII books, mainly related to Commando operations that his father had been involved with. We do still have one tall bookcase full of books, including my complete set of Dickens, but they should be easy to dispose of when the time comes.
ReplyDeleteAfter my tentative start at parting with three books I was quite surprised to feel nothing. It soon became apparent that I had not actually touched these books for years and some I had forgotten I even had so the next three went easily and so on. The rest is just history and now I find I can touch the bookshelves without any misgivings. I think just knowing what can be done is half the battle. Rachel
DeleteI would love to divide our book collection by half. I still have a few university texts, my husband has a large amount of automotive books, and finance books ( which are very much out of date now), my gardening books, etc. Unfortunately we were gifted many books by a mother- in- law who signed up to a “ publisher’s clearing house” type group, many of which I have zero interest. Alas, I am a get rid of it kind of gal who is married to a save it in case we need it / but it was a gift kind of guy.
ReplyDeleteI don’t purchase much fiction, instead I use the library system. - Jenn
I was surprised to learn when speaking to the lady in the charity shop that ALL books are difficult to shift these days. All the answers are on Google at our fingertips and many people use kindles for reading novels. My mother left a cabinet of books that we couldn't shift and the family didn't want them. I used to be a hoarder too, keeping thngs just in case but now I think I have adapted to realising that in today's society this is not so pressing.
DeleteNope, still in the hoarding phase here. Some years back I had a one in/one out rule because of limited space - small apartment - but that has gone by the wayside as new interests and tastes click in, and space has magically been found. I'll probably get ruthless like you and my mum have, but ask me about it in about 10 years!
ReplyDeleteYep, your day will come when it will be "right, now's the time" and clear out will commence on a massive scale. But for now, keep on hoarding and enjoying those books.
DeleteHello Rachel.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you have a new blog. I thought you disappeared!
Well, I've parted with books over the years. You have to be a bit brutal about it. They just end up cluttering.
I have a couple of Dutch Golden age books, but the best are the Taschen series.
Yes I am here. Follow and see when I post. I have a Taschen that I have retained.
Delete