Wednesday, 18 March 2026

You Need An Inner Self


My e-visa for Azerbaijan arrived in my inbox this morning.  I have printed a copy off and it is also saved on my phone.   Modern life, visas on-line and emails.  Technology has its advantages.  Life has changed so much and many things are better and more convenient.  I would not wish to be without communications technology, all the good things.  I have just ordered some ink for my printer without moving from my chair.  It will be here tomorrow.  Such are the good parts of modern life.  

I went to the bakery first this morning and purchased fresh rolls and a chocolate brownie. Then the charity shop.  I purchased 6 paperbacks quickly before going to the dentist two minutes away.  The books were £1.50 each or two for £2.   I am desperate for a book to read in bed.  

I have been reading the philosophy of religion, a small book I had for one of the courses I did a few years ago, the only book I have not given away, yet, dipping in and out but I really like a novel for bed.  Religion is something we like to have to relieve us of fear is one philosophy, something to cling to and give us relief.  We give ourselves relief from stress by prayer and meditation, we share our stress with God.   Nobody can prove it but man does not live by bread alone and spirituality in whatever form it comes is something we all rely on, like it nor not.  If you talk to yourself you are probably more spiritual than you realise. Well that's what I have always thought, when I talk to myself I am connecting with my soul and hoping that perhaps there is more than just flesh and blood and I can see beyond evil around me and pray for strength.  The prayer may be raised to saints or God and if the prayer does not see God in a form that you can share in front of you it doesn't matter.  He maybe does but you do not wish to share it.   I have a way of imagining God on a hillside which goes back to the Sermon on the Mount when Jesus gave us the teachings of God.  It cannot be that Jesus did not exist and that these words did not exist and that someone did not hold the pen to write them down.   So spirituality is talking to your inner self, talking to someone you may want to share with who is not seen and it is absolutely private.  Nobody has to justify this or explain it.  It happens and it helps with strength to get through the day.  Many people who are grieving find this for the first time and it stays with them for ever.

Back to the books,  I am starting with Michael Palin's novel Truth.  I read a couple of pages just now and it seems ok.  I didn't know he had written a novel.  I like him as a person so I am hoping he can write as well as he can talk.

All was fine at the dentists. 

I have cut the grass and washed the car. 

I have the afternoon free. 

I should sleep well tonight.



12 comments:

  1. I agree that it is much easier these days to apply for and receive things such as e-visas, tickets and passes etc. It makes the planning for travel so much more straightforward. Your trip is edging closer isn't it.
    I am not sure that I am a spiritual person, although I am known to talk to myself now and then and I do take pleasure in simple things around me - birds, flowers the sea. Perhaps that counts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the travel logistics are now taken care of and it was a load off my mind this morning!

      I think a spiritual connection can be with nature and although not a structured religion it counts. I relate to Taoism which is a life in harmony with nature and the seasons.

      Delete
  2. I've got a guardian angel. The number of times I've been saved on the brink of something stupid or downright dangerous is incredible, plus what seems like a few miracles. I often thank the universe for the little blessings and the big. There's something out there.
    And release from fear and stress. I remind myself often that something that is probably not going to happen is not worth worrying about. I can feel the fear retreat, at least for a little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of us are more attentive to the presence of the guardian angel than others. Like C S Lewis writes about in his book on grief, it sometimes takes a happening to make us aware of the reality of someone being there for us and then we discover it. The belief structure, call it what you like, is just not there for some so it does not reveal.

      Delete
  3. I believe that we all and every created thing are inter connected and that whateverwe do or say , effects everything. Also that the world we live in is a huge learning place, where we hopefully become more and more aware of this inter connectedness. I dont know if we talk to our spirit or soul, or our selves. I dont think it matters, it is the commubicating with every thing else that matters, It is part of our increasing awareness or spirituality.
    There is a book called the 'Education of Over doul 7, by Jane Roberts, that explores some of this. You can enjoy it as fiction or as a truth.
    We are all one
    Walk in beauty
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is important to each individual is important but to anybody else it is not and cannot be. It may be of interest only. I cannot go into any more than the personal side of a life that I live and would not wish to. I am not familiar with the book you mention but will follow it up. Thanks Kathy.

      Delete
    2. Hi Rachel
      Just noticed my mistake It should be Over Soul 7.
      My fingers are rather twisted and I keep hitting the wrong key.
      Kathy

      Delete
    3. Thanks Kathy. I did a double take and then my brain sorted it!

      Delete
  4. I hope you did sleep well, Rachel!

    To read last thing before lights out is something I usually find helpful, too. At the moment I am reading non-fiction, a book I wanted (and got) for Christmas about wildlife in various habitats.

    A day without praying does not exist in my life. Much of my walks are one long, extended prayer; my legs do their job while my mind and heart are in touch with God. I feel such enormous gratitude for the good things in my life, things I can only influence or control so much (or not at all) and which are of course totally undeserved, but that's God's love for you, it doesn't look at who "deserves" it and who doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning. Yes, I slept very well, for a full 7 hours.

      I am grateful for your positive reply to my post. My time alone is filled with inner thoughts and questions and spiritual connections and as we have all said here we feel the presence of something beyond us and an awareness that we can do as we feel best each in our own way.

      Delete
  5. I do believe in a higher being. I say prayers everyday, in my head. The only thing I can't get to grips with is loving thy neighbour as thyself. There are some truly horrible beings in the world. I hope you have been enjoying the good spell of weather Rachel. Cutting the grass and washing the car should keep you as fit as a fiddle! Have a nice evening and weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The philosopher says that forgive thy neighbour is for character building and moral development. Of course there is the question that should the evil have happened in the first place that gives rise to having to forgive thy neighbour when it would have been better if the evil had never happened in the first place? We have to have the power to absorb evils and still forgive. It is a work in progress for mere mortals I think.

      I am enjoying the good weather, playing around with the ride-on mower and taking control of my surroundings, and keeping fit.

      Thank you for commenting on this topic Simone, much appreciated. It is not an easy subject to talk about for me or commenters. xx

      Delete