Sunday, 5 April 2026

And Now The Ads

 I used to enjoy the cinema advertisements, the ones you see before the film and before the trailers.  They are now but a shadow of what they used to be having changed significantly even in the six or seven years that I have been back going to the cinema.  They are now dominated by public service adverts for the British Army and the Royal Navy, the National Lottery and things like getting jobs in child care, breast cancer awareness which much as it is an important message it goes on way too long, the King's Trust (Trust always spoken with a northern accent vowel) and being told that 900,000 young people are out of work, the equivalent of the third largest city in Britain.  (This always begs the question for me as to why do we have vacancies and why are we told that it is vital that immigrants keep coming to fill the vacancies when so many of us are out of work?)  That is a rhetorical question so don't bother to answer it.  The other advert is for funerals and at that point I cover my eyes with my hat as the ad shows the lifespan from birth to death of an elderly woman going through all smiley things in life and skipping through the decades until  one day flowers and death. Does this really make people sign up for funeral plans?

 I used to like the Virgin flights adverts.  They don't come up anymore.  I suppose so many people are streaming at home that the advertisers are deserting the cinemas.   (It is a sad time for cinemas and with Warner Bros taken over by Paramount having pipped Netflix at the post.  Either one of them winning is not good for the cinema industry.) 

 Back to the ads.  Apart from those there are a few EV car ads which with cars at £35,000 to £50,000 plus and all looking the same (SUVs)  do not hold any interest for me and not at all like the old days of ads for Minis and Cortinas and the odd Jaguar and Lotus which I think we all took a bit of interest in and wondered which one might be the latest Bond car and did the Lotus have a Norfolk registration of interest to us yokels. 

There remains one advert that comes up every time I go and that is an annoying holiday ad for TUI holidays where a very slim girl with a big smile dives into a perfect swimming pool with no screaming kids and no sunbeds filled with towels/and or bodies and nothing the slightest bit imperfect or vile having earlier got on to a plane loaded with smiling people not all scrambling to place their wheely suitcases in the overhead locker and not all hot and sweaty and squashed in but all sitting peacefully and smiling at the camera in perfect clothes of course. 

I was just reading that a lady, described as elderly, aged 71, (elderly?)  went missing in South Africa on a TUI holiday so all was not so hunky dory with the lovely swimming pool and the lovely blue sky.  (TUI used to be Thomson Holidays in case you are interested and they got swallowed up by a German company who were engineers or manufacturers I think and reinvented themselves as a holiday company). She has never been found, no remains, nothing, and it is thought she was murdered for her body parts which sell well on some South African bush markets for witch craft.  She walked alone when I would probably have already gone to bed if on holiday even if it was broad daylight and not too sure of the area, but that is by the by.  She disappeared.  The holiday tour went on without her and that was the end of the poor 'elderly'  British woman.  TUI still run the holiday but have declined to tell guests about the incident because they do not want to scare them.  I always have that funny feeling about TUI when I see that advert described above of the girl diving into the swimming pool.  I now feel like 'told you so'.   Nothing is ever as hunky dory as that on holidays.

14 comments:

  1. Poor woman. I've not heard about that before. Ads will always show us the' best' version because they just want to sell the product to us. I was thinking about ads I remember from my childhood with the catchy tunes such as from the shake 'n' vac lady, Topic - a hazlenut in every bite, Flake - the crumbliest flakiest chocolate, Birdseye Mousse etc. I remember the tunes and all the words. Today I just have that awful Pepto-Bismal song for Diarrohea ringing in my ears where the actors lift up their butts to the camera! Anyhow, wishing you a good Easter Sunday Rachel. We have had most seasons today but every now and then the sun puts in an appearance. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Simone. We had gales last night from the storm and it is cold here again and still windy. I watched the service from Ripon Cathedral on tv which seemed like the best thing to do on Easter Sunday. Pearl and Dean adverts used to be a good sequence of ads but now, as I said, mostly public service ones, at least during the day. I don't know whether they change at night. That TUI girl diving into the pool has always annoyed me although I know of course they just want to sell TUI flights and holidays. Ads were always catchy and memorable weren't they, we even had favourites. Not anymore. xx

      Delete
  2. I don't think I have visited a cinema since the days when Kia-Ora and local Indian restaurant ads were the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I go to a Bollywood film they still show a few of the local Indian ads for shops selling saris etc.and jewellery in East London in Indian language. First time I saw them I wondered if the film was going to be entirely in Bengali or Punjabi or Urdu or something and I was going to feel stupid but when the film started it had English subtitles. Phew. (I am usually the only English person in the audience for Bollywood movies). You haven't been to the cinema for a long time! There is still a Coca Cola ad but they are not as good as they used to be.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to the cinema for years. I remember, nostalgically, the days when there was a complete bill, with a main feature, a B film and a news item. At the end the National Anthem was played and many (most!) tried to leave before it started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the B film was an important part of cinema going even if you missed part of it, came into it in the middle, or it was rubbish, it was still important. And then there were the smoking and no smoking areas and the usherettes. I miss Pathé News too. Cinema is a quite different experience now.

      Delete
  4. The TUI advert sounds just as unrealistic as most adverts - take those for cars where you usually see the car driving along unspoilt stunning landscapes with no other cars in sight, promising freedom and grand views while carrying you swiftly and elegantly from A to B.

    When we went to the cinema in my childhood and youths, there was always a series of slides (not films!) advertising local restaurants, car dealers, the public swimming pool and so on, plus a few „proper“ adverts without the local touch. I can still repeat the muffled-sounding one about an Italian restaurant in Kornwestheim, the small town close to Ludwigsburg, with its slightly discoloured photos of the building from the outside and the dining area inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Meike. Yes, the EV ads are vehicles driving along on empty roads with contented children and parents.

      We all have good memories of days gone by.

      Delete
  5. My Father always spoke of tea trays going around during 'The Interval'.
    We had to queue up for our ice cream tubs at the front of the seats where the usherettes doubled as salespersons. As we all say, times have well and truely changed. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Lesley. I also remember going down for the ice creams at the interval and feeling extremely grown-up clulching the coins given to me by mum. When I first returned to cinema going I used to buy an icecream but soon found it was not the same as buying at the interval and the size of the tubs were far too big and the nostalgia for the icecream was ruined. I no longer bother. I think Odeon have closed the icecream sales now. xx

      Delete
  6. The last time I went to a cinema was the firdt showing of Zulu. So I cant comment on the adverts, but have always liked the quality of TV adverts here compared with the American ones. How ever I did see one American advert that was good, it was on the back of a large truck It said 'Eat American Lamb, 10,000 coyotes cant be wrong '
    We are supposed to have 4 dry sunny days this week, but wish the wind would drop.
    Walk in beauty
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, that is a funny one. It brings a smile this morning.

      It is still very cold here with hail on and off which is a good indicator of the temperature. It is not looking good today either. Rachel x

      Delete
    2. Another one
      Old truckers die, they just get a new Peter built
      Peterbuilt is the make of a large truck
      a peter is another name fo .....
      Kathy

      Delete
    3. We were truckers Kathy so I know Petersbilt. Yes, another great ad x

      Delete

Monday Position

 A grandmother, with sense, in Braintree gives her granddaughters, 13 and 15, rape alarms to carry with them at all times. The illegal immig...