Am I pleased that King Charles is going to the US to see Trump? Yes. Now is the time we need a bit of normality and if anybody can bring it then Charles can. He may be a bit of a silly ol' chump sometimes but visits like this are just up Charles's street. A bit of diplomacy and normalcy. I am sure Queen Camilla will be in her element too. This is a time when politicians can step aside and leave it to the King. We are allies of the US and will remain so, we do not want politicians squabbling and back-chatting and acting all hurt. Attacks on foreign policy and the navy here hurt as the truth usually does. We should take it on the chin and deal with it. Roosevelt and later Truman did not always say good things about Britain but Churchill got over it mainly by ignoring it. Go forth and repair our relations Charles. King Charles we need you. Friends forever, US and Britain.
I think he will be needing all his diplomatic skills on this visit. I hope he'll be treated with respect.
ReplyDeleteCharles has oodles of diplomatic skills learned from his mother and she, likewise, learned from her father. There is no doubt whatsoever that Charles and Camilla will be treated with respect because President Trump respects our Royal Family. Melania Trump will be overseeing the table decorations and the menus for the grand dinner. Camilla is a bit out of age range for Melania but I am sure they will get on and Camilla can easily hold her own in conversation, as can Melania.
DeleteThe visit has been long in the planning and will not be abandoned, however much some may wish it to be.
ReplyDeleteIt would be both childish and silly to call it off. It will be more useful to Britain as a visit that happens than a visit that doesn't.
DeleteI certainly hope that King Charles will receive a warm welcome and that our president and other leaders won't do anything to embarrass us. I'll never forget Trump walking in front of the Queen and his other boorish behavior when he met with her.. like an American stereotype of rude behavior and poor manners. I loved Queen Elizabeth and I like King Charles even if he never quite measure up to his mother in my eyes.
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter Rachel!
There have been many faux pas with dignitaries and our Royal Family over the years. Wandering in front of Queen Elizabeth whilst walking slowly is as forgiveable as any of the other faux pas that have occurred and have been forgiven and forgotten. King Charles has a kind air of diplomacy and softness about him and I hope he will have a good meeting for Britain with Trump. Happy Easter to you too Jennifer and thanks for stopping by! x
DeleteNone of my friends in the USA are very pleased with trump to say the least. But they may not be a fair sample , as they are all self employed international dealers. But I thing that King charles trip to the Usa will go well and Trump will do his best to impress them amd the trip will be beneficial. I hope so. I have always thought well of King Charles and as you say ,he has been 'well trained.
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter
Kathy
We have a Labour government who have no idea about how to grow an economy nor how business works. King Charles going to Washington with Queen Camilla is the only rosy thing we have on the horizon.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIt was a good comment.
DeleteSorry, my comment just seemed very wishy washy. Nothing of substance. Reading from here Charles doesn't seem very popular at the moment. Was there a bit of backlash because he gave a Ramadam message but not an Easter one? Then there's Donald whose popularity also seems to be waning. They both need a popularity boost and we all need good news. We'll have an occasion to follow with pleasure
ReplyDeleteI don't know about a Ramadam message and Charles but there is no history of an Easter message from Elizabeth II; she only did one during lockdown when we all shut in at home and depressed and she did it to raise spirits. The Charles thing about an Easter message sounds like media/press stirring up trouble to me.
DeleteI read your first comment and it was fine, agreeing with me. What more could I say!
As I understand Iran and the US and Israel, it started as a nuclear weapons issue and remains that way. It is important to all of us. The Straits of Hormuz are a consequence of the war and free passage will be settled by negotiation.
That's interesting about the Easter message. The news I read online can be very onesided and often I don't bother looking for another opinion
DeleteThat goes for Donald too.
A great deal of what appears on-line is clickbait stuff and either totally fake or a minor news item grossly exaggerated out of all proportion to what it really is.
DeleteI think his visit will also demonstrate the insignificance of both Harry and Meghan.
ReplyDeletep.s. Any news of Tom Stephenson?
DeleteDemonstrate to whom? I wouldn't have thought Harry and Meghan come onto anybody's radar least of all President Trump's.
DeleteTom seems to be doing fine. He puts photos on Instagram.
Delete