The weekend passed fairly quickly and uneventfully. I firstly met up with a lady from the Women's Institute who invited me to join her for a late coffee on Friday afternoon. She suggested a café in the town where I had last summer been having coffee with the young date guy. It was one café we had not reached before we stopped what we were doing. (It is a town of linear settlement with many cafés stretched over a mile long street so it would have taken us several months of coffee on a Saturday afternoon to get to the end).
It was a pleasant little place which I remembered as a jewellers many years ago. It was like a tardis being tiny and happily and comfortably squeezing in several tables in a nice bright atmosphere. It appeared to do everything from coffee to burgers to milk shakes to herbal teas and a steady stream of regulars came in whilst we were there. This lady is new to me and we passed a pleasant hour. It certainly makes a big difference to the day to meet up with someone when living alone. She also lives alone.
It was a pity that I had not got to this café with the boy. However, it was a good summer whatever even if we didn't manage to visit every single café in town and he gave me lots to write about in my poems. I believe it was meant to be that he came into my life at that point in time. There is always a reason for everything I think. Fate, a power beyond human control. I was writing my dissertation which included a collection of poems. I was presented with this bundle of happiness in the form of a short but happy relationship and the words flowed.
I received a new backpack on Friday. I ordered from Amazon one weighing less than a pound and having a 40 litre capacity. I had become fed up with my one weighing 4 lbs empty, also 40 litre capacity. 4 lbs is a lot to start with empty when you are filling a pack for a two week holiday. I took a chance with a £20 thin pack with good reviews.
I was not disappointed and yesterday packed as if ready to go and the difference was startling, 4 lbs is like lugging around two bags of sugar and that was no more. Here is a picture of the new pack. I have sorted out my things and it will work for me. I took a walk around the garden with it fully packed to sort out straps and the pull on the shoulders which is important when using rucksacks.
The weather will be quite hot and the necessity for lots of different outfits is not relevant for me. Travel within the country will be by buses and trains and air. I feel comfortable that I have made the right backpack decision.


Your backpack looks ideal. The fabric looks very thin (obviously to save weight) but still sturdy. It looks a little larger than the one I use but mine was actually originally a laptop bag so not designed for the use I now put it to!
ReplyDeleteIt is made of nylon with reinforced stress points. It seems to be quite sturdy. The picture shows it filled with everything and still has some spare space at the top. I don't think I could go any smaller than this one though.
DeleteThe back pack sounds good. Yes 2 bags of sugar weight saving is a lot. Bags of sugar are such a handy weight to use, I use it a lot. also measurements using my hand and feet.
ReplyDeleteI do miss not having any mentally stimulating company, But dont know any one here. Few people are on the same wavelength here any way.
I hope you have a great time on your journey
Kathy
When you're carrying something 4 lbs is a lot to carry when it seems disconnected to the actual end result. I am sorry you don't have a lot of company where you are. I think I am quite fortunate here. Thank you Kathy and I hope you are feeling better. xx
DeleteThanks for asking Rachel. I am usually good at falling, but this time, I stepped back into a ahallow hole and hit the ground on my back.I checked nothing was broken and not stunned at all.Took some arnica and got myself up ok. What I hadnt realised, was that a fall on the back can bruise or damage all the internal organs,but I am ok now,
DeleteKathy
It will be quite a trauma to fall backwards Kathy. I am sure that there would be some delayed shock. I am glad you are ok now. Rachel xx
DeleteThe lightweight pack sounds like a good buy, and it obviously is, being so light and roomy. I always study the reviews before I buy anything online.
ReplyDeleteI will be able to meet my English friend for a coffee in the sun now. It's finally warm enough. An of chattering away in English always gives me a boost
It's good to meet up for a relaxed chat isn't it! This lady had said we should meet up one day and I thought "people are always saying that and don't really mean it" but she did mean it and got out her diary.
DeleteI put in the buy order for the backpack quickly as I had a kind of gut feeling it was what I hae been looking for.
Yesterday I was waylaid by a lady who lives in Brighton, but has a 100 acre farm somewhere in Sussex. She lives alone, and was desperate to talk; which she did for quite some while. I couldn't get away. In fact she was very nice, and very interesting. I mentioned her to my wife when I got home, and she said she has the same problem with her.
ReplyDeleteWhen are you off ? Bon Voyage.
I chat to many people that I meet in the course of a day. I hope I am not seen as a "problem". There is less of an opportunity to chat to people on trains these days because so many sit down and put their headphone on thus declaring they are not going to chat. You will see when I am off on holiday one day.
DeleteYou made a good choice with the new backpack, and testing it beforehand is a very good idea. I know exactly what you mean about the weight of a luggage item in its empty state! Sometimes it seems they don't even consider that someone doesn't have a car but has to be able to carry their own luggage from A to B at all times, and the walking distances at large train stations and airports are not to be underestimated.
ReplyDeleteNice to meet someone for coffee and get to know each other better, and it sounds fun to visit the different cafés in turn. I am less adventurous in that, when I have found a place where I like the food/drink, service and location, I keep going back and am rarely tempted to try a different place.
Yes to your first paragraph. Lightness and ease of transportability is important for the lone traveller who never has anybody to "leave" their pack with to mind it; the pack has to go everywhere with you.
DeleteWhen the young man and I attempted to visit all the cafés in town it was a kind of game for us but we did find one fairly early on which became our favourite and we visited it more than once. It was nice to meet the lady and for her to invite me.
The back pack looks attractive too! Such a good idea to try it out before hand to make sure it is as comfortable as can be. I am glad you got to meet up with someone new for a coffee and have a conversation. Hope your day is good Rachel. x
ReplyDeleteNothing worse than trying to alter backpack straps as you set out for the train, better to try your best to sort it beforehand. It was very nice of the lady to invite me to meet her. Being on her own for a number of years, but very involved with things, gave her that knowledge that we share of the importance of daily contact with people I think. The backpack is more attractive than I thought it would be when I first saw it in a flat delivery airless bag the size of an envelope! Rachel xx
Delete