Wednesday, 1 April 2026

Daily Life

Yesterday didn't turn out so well because my massage was cancelled due to back problems of the masseuse.  She is having a constant battle with health and this is not good for running a business where she is the lone worker.  I was just getting ready to go for the train when I noticed she had whats app'd me an hour before telling me about the cancellation.   I understood, you can't give a massage if you are not 100% physically fit, but I was disappointed.   I have messaged her this morning and she is still closed to customers.  I am looking for another place to go.  There is one but I am cold and not in the right mood for changing providers but when I perk up in the sunshine which I hope comes soon I will investigate a new place to go.  I will stay with my Thai lady until my money on account with her is used up, my payments being in advance for better deal.  In spite of everything it is a commercial arrangement and I am looking at it this way.  She has become a friend over the three years I have been going but I am getting fed up with the constant interruptions to service causing the cancellations and re-arrangements.   

I have written two poems whilst here this morning.  A bit of angst always brings out a poem.  The cold weather is causing me to be a bit down at the moment.  I want to be cheerful but it is hard.  

 I have done my exercises.  In this order:

Walking heel to toe small steps across the room for balance.  Repeat many times during the day. 

Heel lifts to exercise calf muscles to aid the second "heart" hiding in the calves.  Slow and controlled exercise.  It is not a race to get through it. 

Toe lifts to aid ankle mobility. 

More balance exercises holding/steadying myself with chair back to hand if I need it. 

Wall squats.  Hold for 30 seconds.  Repeat as many times as I am able. 

Sit to stand.  Sit on chair, stand slowly, sit back down slowly.   I managed this 20 times. 

I will do more exercises later. 


If I am in an airport and I need to stand for a while then my legs must be in good shape.   I am working on this now for six months, just entering the seventh month.   I am improving.   This exercise plan was started when I booked my holiday.   I still cannot sit on my heels and have been doing that particular exercise for three months.  It can take much longer.  However, I can sit cross-legged on the floor like I did as a child and that is very satisfying.  And, of course, I can get up off the floor.  

The holiday is still on although I know there are some FCDO no-go areas in Azerbaijan.  I assume the itinerary will be adjusted accordingly if necessary.  I am not bothering the company to find out as I am sure they will tell me anything I need to know.  Quite frankly after reading my insurance small print it is not going to help me so I might as well just go.   It is only if the  travel company cancel altogether that I would get my money back, as I have said before.  Travel insurance is just like all insurance, the detail is in the small print.   I don't seem to have done very well with my travel insurance "peace of mind and feel good factor" as I feel anything but good.  I get lots of questionnaires from them regarding how do I feel about their service and I am telling them I am not particularly happy but everything from them is addressed to me as a highly valued customer when I feel anything but highly valued.  When I was trying to be honest with them about medical things I got shouted at by an extremely aggressive young lady who called me back about the conversation I had had with the Indian call centre when I had been trying to explain to an Indian boy a conversation I had had with my GP about statins.  It would make a good comedy sketch.  That cost me £100 whacked on to my premium.   

Well that's enough of that.   

I got my petrol on Monday at my normally quiet garage which was swamped with customers and queues.   I take it the normally busy supermarket garage up the road must have run dry.  

10 comments:

  1. Travel is so unpredictable right now. I am keeping my fingers crossed for your journey to run smoothly.
    After having our Japan trip for next week cancelled due to the middle east situation, we booked a last minute trip to the Basque Country instead, flying via Madrid to Bilbao. Of course, there are now widespread airport workers' strikes throughout Spain starting yesterday and reports of between 2 - 4 hour queues to get through the new non-EU passport control processes. Oh, and our destination is forecast to be wet and cool for the duration of our trip.
    It will be a wedding anniversary trip to remember that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from the Middle East troubles, travel insurance is causing me more problems now that I am older and, of course, since Covid when my previous provider of an annual cover pulled out of the market altogether The present one gave warning one year after Covid about losing Covid cover for a number of reasons that I have lost track of. Not that I really care about that. Travel insurance used to be something I took out quickly and thought little about. Now I am plagued with questions and warnings about omissions that can invalidate the policy. As if I didn't have enough things to worry about! I hope the Spanish strikes miss you and you have a good break. xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are making good progress with your exercises , Rachel. The 'workout I bget by baling water and carrying rock has ensured that I am stronger than I was a year ago.
    Your trip should be very interesting, we found that we did best by not having a prearranged inventory, We travelled thousands of miles in the USA, avoiding motorways and by using maps (British maps are far superior) We got ourse;ves into all sorts of dodgy situations and got out of them again, without being harmed. Sure you will have an interesting time.
    I can understand you being irritated by the irregular treatment and timing. she would also be irritated if 'the boot was on the other foot'
    I think that it seems that Trumps 'changeabilty' is rubbing off on other Americans, I am finding some customers very annoying that way .
    But I still think that life is good.
    Happy birthday soon , Rachel and I hope the sun blesses you soon, too.
    Walk in beauty
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legs are definitely stronger than they were and I think I can cope with airports now. I needed an organised tour for Azerbaijan as I am on my own and can let somebody else take the strain of organising transport and best places to see.

      I hope the north easterly airstream moves away soon and we can get some warmer weather here. I find the cold starts to wear me down at this time of year. It is neither Winter nor Spring, just that horrible cold in between time. April is always unpredictable veering from heatwaves to snow. I hope we get the former this year.
      Birthday soon, yes. I was an Easter baby but not this year. Rachel x

      Delete
    2. Coincidence, I was born on Easter sunday .
      Kathy

      Delete
    3. My oldest brother who is a Taurus was also born on Easter Sunday, at the point when Easter is the latest it can be.

      Delete
  3. We are in the middle of another storm. The heavy red dust clouds, thunder and downpouring of rain made for a miserable day. I was supposed to be meeting a friend for coffee. Maybe next week. I need some English conversation. You need your holiday.
    And you need your massage. Hope it happens soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is disappointing when arrangements you have been looking forward to change isn't it? I don't know what I need at the moment, a good government would help but that isn't going to happen for years.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear your travel insurance is not giving you the peace of mind it should. And shouting at you on the phone?! That is simply NOT ON!

    We're having a sunny but cold day today. The forecast for the Easter holiday is for much warmer weather - it could get up to 22-24C on Sunday, which is when O.K. and I will spend all morning in the kitchen preparing the family meal (roast leg of lamb with all the trimmings).

    Hopefully, the warmth and sunshine will arrive soon for you, and you'll feel more ready to tackle all the stuff coming your way, including finding another place for your regular massage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are now stuck between a cold Artic airstream and a warm Sahara airstream and the result is turmoil in the middle.

      Yes, I agree, the girl shouting at me from the travel insurance office and being aggressive was not on. I was being totally honest in my first call which was taken by an Indian call centre and she was my reward for that.

      Delete