I am back to normal this morning having slept very well last night.
First job was to hoover the living room which I haven't done for a while and the area around the woodburner was beginning to annoy me with ash and also wood debris and dust from the woodbasket. I did that first. Then I sat at the table and fixed up the Karcher grass strimmer or Lawn Trimmer as they call it. Having got into a state about it on Saturday I was able this morning to fix it all up in 10 minutes without problem. All I had to do was fix the front handle to it which required quite a lot of force to get it round the pole and had defeated me on Saturday and there was nothing in the instructions to say that you needed a great deal of strength to fix it on. I noticed that one woman of my age had also been foxed by it and had asked in a question on-line as to how she was supposed to do it and it looked like it might break. My thoughts entirely on Saturday. Karcher instructions are not terribly helpful. There is also a great deal about safety matters which seemed a trifle over the top.
I also fixed the strimmer shield around the cutter which was easy. That was three Philips screws and done, slotted into place in moments. I then lengthened the cutter string. Easily done. I clicked the battery in place, already charged on Saturday, and put on hat and coat, gloves, goggles and boots and went out to test. I take common sense safety seriously but the eye protection, i.e. wearing goggles, was not mentioned in all the two pages of safety information.
Zoom, I was into business strimming along. I am totally satisfied with it. I came in and rang my brother as I was so excited and thanked him and his wife for the recommendation. This is big brother who got me the ride-on mower. So all is hunky dory as far as garden goes. I also ordered some spare cutter line spools so that I don't suddenly find all the cutter string has been used and can't strim. All I want now is some better weather. It is cold and windy this morning so I only tested the strimmer for 10 minutes because it is too horrible to be out in the wind for longer. I have just been gathering twigs for kindling as there is plenty blowing down off the trees.
The schools are now on Easter holiday so I won't be going out much but tomorrow I have a massage booked so will go to that.
I missed getting my petrol yesterday because I was so exhausted so may go out for that in a minute when I get the papers.
Simone was saying yesterday that she enjoyed reading my blog post yesterday, as did Linda, and Meike, and the beginning of me stockbroking. I am never sure of what interests people or what they don't already know and it is nice to get feedback and questions. If there are any questions or things you would like me to blog about please do not be too shy to ask me. There are over a 150 page views per post so there must be some interested parties who would like to talk to me but never do.
Thank you.
I said that, too, about your stockbroking career.
ReplyDeleteIt interests me greatly to know how people got to do what they did (or still do) for a living; was it choice or circumstances? Mostly a combination of both, I'd say.
Well done on the strimmer! That story is a prime example of what a different it makes to us handling a task when we've had enough sleep as opposed to not enough or no sleep. I am completely useless when I'm too tired, too hungry or thirsty. In a harsh environment set against me I wouldn't last a day, which is frightening in a way.
Yes, you did. I don't know where your name disappeared to because I thought I included it! I will go back and edit. Why I became a stockbroker - you are right in that it was a combination of both - I had always been interested in the stock market and business and dealing and the circumstances of a branch office of a London firm opening here kind of dropped into my lap to make things happen.
DeleteI was definitely more alert today and able assemble the strimmer. I was frustrated by the instructions on Saturday which didn't help. Today I worked it out.
I am the "whipper snipper" of the household, too. Mine is gas powered. I was very happy to read that you wear eye protection. I always have a pair of safety glasses or goggles on. There is such satisfaction in a nicely edged and trimmed property. Our property borders on three sides areas that are basically just weeds (an unused field and a yard that belongs to someone who is never there and it rarely gets mowed), so it is a never ending battle to keep the encroaching jungle back! Good job tackling the assembly and use of your new machine! -Jenn
ReplyDeleteI have seen bits flying everywhere with these machines so my first thought was "goggles". I used my old swimming ones. I am looking forward to using it.
DeleteWell done on the strimmer construction. I am not sure I would have the patience for that sort of thing. I get frustrated far too easily and then give up.
ReplyDeleteIt is an example of what you do when you live alone JayCee. You may give up once but you return to it more determined than ever to solve it.
DeleteI want a trimmer too! I'd love to trim up the mess in our garden. It's like having a vaccum cleaner that sucks properly. Very satisfying knowing there's no dust in the corners.
ReplyDeleteIt's great to tidy up those bits that everything else misses. I know my younger brother used to strim every two to three visits. So now I can strim it for myself to my hearts content!
DeleteGlad to hear that you have mastered the strimmer. Very useful. I find the very big ones good, but cannot use them for more than 15 minutes , too heavy and tiring, also only being 4ft 11" their length is a bit much. The lighter ones are ok, But I always use face protection, for the eyes and also because ,some of the weeds you cut, can shower you with their juice and can cause a rash.
ReplyDeleteFor me, I try never to exert myself when annoyed, I find that I trip or have other accidents.
I like to hear other peoples stories, but dont have to know,if they dont want to tell them.
Brautiful day here, sunny but very cold. However I was working 'in shirt sleeves' in one of the tunnels.
I know it is coming up to your birthday soon as I have just had mine.
Walk in beauty
Kathy
Happy Birthday Kathy. I know that you are a fellow Aries. My brother said to me about using the strimmer for 30 minutes at a time; I said to him that I know my capabilities and it will be no more than 20. This Karcher is fairly light but I cannot see myself exceeding comfortable use and I do not push myself to ridiculous levels. I have all the time in the world to pace myself.
DeleteAs for stories, anyone can ask me and I will tell if I want to. I can easily say no if something is a step too far. But you know Aries, we are pretty open with what we have to say.
Lovely to hear from you Kathy. And yes, indeed, my birthday is not far off. Rachel xx
Just a word of warning about the strimmer Rachel. My husband bought one for me many years ago as not really wanted birthday present. It ended up being a very expensive present because I unwittingly whipped up some small stones in the grass as I strimmed and they broke a conservatory window! I haven't used it since! I like reading all sorts of things you write even though I don't comment if it is something I don't know enough about. I bet you have some great pub stories to tell! x
ReplyDeleteThank you Simone. Timely reminder there. I will beware of stones and things that make an unwelcome noise near borders as I noticed today. Actually these are the reasons for me being conscious of needing to wear eye protection. And I know it is Happy Birthday to you too as you are another Aries who has just had a birthday. Happy Birthday Simone. I like your comments and visits here. I do indeed have some pub stories that I accumulated over the years. Rachel xx
DeleteThank you for the birthday wishes Rachel. I hope you have a lovely day when your day comes. I'd love to hear about some pub stories! Did you ever have shut ins or people you couldn't get to leave? Did you work in lots of different pubs? Hope you have a nice evening. I'll be looking for something to watch on Netflix or Discovery. x
DeleteI was a member of bar teams in the two main pubs I worked in. I had no say or input into shut-ins or anything that would have effected the licensee. I did as I was told in all instances. I took what responsibility I was given. The licensees in each case (two main pubs I worked in) respected me and I them. I am not sure how much of interest this is to readers though. I feel that most of what I write is of limited interest Simone and, though good to hear from four or five people, mostly falls on deaf ears. Thank you for your interest and for the birthday wishes. I will without doubt be writing again when my birthday comes! Rachel xxx
Delete