Wednesday, 29 April 2026

Peace

 This afternoon I went to Women's Institute and we had a talk on birdsong from a woman who is also a folk singer and musician.  An interesting combination of interests but apparently not so unusual and many singers, even opera singers, have a strong interest in birdsong she told us.  

The talk took us to Rye Harbour Nature Reserve where she had undertaken a residency a few years back and lived in a caravan on her own for a year recording birdsong and writing songs.  She showed slides, played birdsong recordings,  and sang her own songs.  Excellent afternoon. 

King Charles was wonderful in the US and the perfect antidote to President Trump.  His voice sounded amazing and his delivery to Congress was of well chosen words which he imparted without hesitation.  I hope all the doubters about the visit will now see that it was the right thing for Britain and the US.  Charles and Camilla are representing Britain with style and diplomacy and fortitude.  



 

10 comments:

  1. Just listened to Charles’ speech…well done that statesman ….had to,laugh at Trump darting in front of Camilla to shake hands …..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles' voice sounded amazing in the recording, so much stronger and certain of himself than I think I have ever heard him before. He was on top form.

      Delete
  2. Charles is a great ambassador for England and I thought his speech was perfectly judged.
    It would be interesting to hear what the US "man in the street's" opinion is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the visit will have put a smile on everybody's face right across the board. Our King and Queen still have their uses....

      Delete
  3. I was very worried about the visit, but he's proved to be a great diplomat; as he always is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never worried about it and was convinced it was the right thing to do. It would have been childish and pathetic to have pulled out. These people are who we have at a given time and making childish gestures of disapproval lowers everyone to the same level. There was never any danger of that with King Charles.

      Delete
  4. Charles did so well, a true statesman. Steady and confident. His speech was worded with great diplomacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So confident and so well delivered. He is his mother's son.

      Delete
  5. I was so impressed with King Charles! How I wish we had a man like him leading our country instead of the current lot. When the Queen died I was so sad, feeling like it was the end of an era, but her son is proving to be worthy of his mother. Everything I've heard and read indicates that we're all thrilled with his visit, left, right, and in the middle. Such unity is rare and wonderful these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the clapping in Congress sounded so much as one and that Charles was a man of a single mind to bring everybody together without prejudices. It is a shame that Mamdani in New York could not set aside his background and embrace the King and Queen on their visit too but I am happy that some mending of relations between the US and Britain has been achieved in Washington at least.

      Delete